Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Airplane fuel for a GT ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 01:37 AM
George12go

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airplane fuel for a GT ???

I need to know if you can use Airplane fuel in you RC10gt? If anybody can tell me the differance between the typs of fuels and if I can use 15% airplane fuel safely w/my .15 cv? Thanks for any help you can give....
Old 01-16-2004, 06:32 AM
RCaeroguy
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Airplane fuel for a GT ???

Uh Oh, the dreaded airplane/car fuel question. George, I'm afraid you just opened a can of worms.

Typically, airplane fuel uses a fully synthetic oil (not always). Remember airplane engines have that big fan (propeller) blowing on the engine all the time and stays relatively cool. Your truck engine is tucked in the body and doesn't get a lot of airflow. You should use a fuel with Castor oil in your truck engine.

I'm ducking........... waiting to be flamed!
Old 01-16-2004, 08:49 AM
scottm

Plane fuel is different, it has more oil. Plane fuel is around 18% oil, and car fuel is more like 12%. I ran 20% nitro heli fuel in a worn out .21 buggy engine, thinking the extra oil would help restore some compression, but all it did was smoke like crazy.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:19 PM
George12go

I was under the understanding as well that airplane fuel has more oil in it.. Besides smoking what are the downsidesto using it?....
Old 01-16-2004, 12:27 PM
CaNaDiAnRaCeR

Slugish and poor performance and you would burn out alot of glow plugs.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:38 PM
Mopzilla

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was wondering about this too... and I PM'd an experienced member on this topic, and these were parts of his reply:

-----------------
"Most of what you see on the forum about fuel is a lot of opinion, just like mine.

Some people have made claim that manufacturers say NOT to use plane fuel in the cars. I have never seen anything in any manual that ever stated that. In addition nobody has ever been able to show where they read it.
One member claimed that Rody from RB motors said to never use plane fuel because it could damage the engine, that member could never provide evidence to back that up.
I did find a thread where rody himself posted and agreed with another member that while you may not get the best performance out of airplane fuel, it won't harm the engine. The thread and link is on Rcuniverse.

It really is common sense in my opinion. As long as the fuel contains enough oil and has an acceptable nitro content it should be fine.
Bottom line is that manufacturers (most) suggest a fuel with at least 18% oil. That's all most of them say."
------------

To add to that, airplane fuel is a hell of a lot cheaper, and you'd be glad you spend at least $10 less on fuel every time you go to the store! Also, if you run airplanes and like to bring your RC10GT to the airfield, you only have to carry one type of fuel.
And I mean, unless you race, and everybody else uses the highest quality fuel... airplane fuel is just fine.
Old 01-17-2004, 12:06 PM
sk8r8919
My Feedback: (2)

i reccomend www.powermasterfuels.com only because they make top fuel. also it doesnt matter what % nitro u get the oil content will always be 18% oil cator synthetic blend with this brand. like was said before only if 18% so this is and it says good for all model engines so check out the site
Old 05-21-2004, 08:05 PM
Justinw

What power master fuel can use use in a car. the formular 16 is their car fuel. will the powerblend or sport working a car/ truck?