Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Transmitter modules

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 01:46 AM
Mrfranchize02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmitter modules

Why is so illegal to change the crystal out in the transmitter modules??? The crystal in the 3PK is so easy to get to. Is it another marketing scam or what? I really can't afford to buy another module to meet the 2 channel minimum at my track. Has anyone else inquired about this??
Old 02-03-2004, 03:09 PM
dg2b

Default RE: Transmitter modules

There has been discussions about its legality and whether changing the crystals breaks FCC rules. I do change crystals to compensate running in a race heat or not. Also, many local tracks do require two sets of crystals during signup so that they can schedule the heats/main.

If FCC is really enforcing this, why are the radio manufacturers sell crystals. More so, why is it that many radios does not have modules. My personal opinion is that as long as I am not using illegal frequency (i.e. 40 mhz, 72mhz for surface, etc), I will change crystals until somebody (FCC oriented) tell me or the hobby that it can't be done anymore.

I believe the ROAR book has a link to the FCC rules about this.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:55 PM
Mrfranchize02

I'll drink to that.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:08 AM
rlaxton

If the US is anything like Australia then the reasoning behind preventing crystal changes is that it is possible for a radio that passes side band tests to fail with a different crystal, especially since that crystal may be damaged.

Personally I think that for land models this is a load of bollocks. Sure with air models there is a pretty good chance of killing someone when your slightly wonky transmitter shoots down a pylon model doing 300km/h and causes it to barrel straight into a spectator. With a land model on land frequencies I don't see this as a problem. Sure you might cause someone to crash their car but who cares? No one is likely to get killed. I believe that like here you have completely separate bands for land and air models?

Anyway, just a few thoughts!

Richard.

--------
Phoenix Altantis with OS 50 SX
VMAR Hotshot
Aeroflyte Hustler with OS 40LA

Soon to be CEN Genesis or HPI Savage owner.