Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Car Brake Cleaner to clean the RC Car?? What do you use?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Car Brake Cleaner to clean the RC Car?? What do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 02:54 PM
lunarfaze

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Brake Cleaner to clean the RC Car?? What do you use?

We ran a couple of Savage's this weekend. After we were though, we cleaned them with some cleaner that was specially designed for RC vehciles at $6.99 a bottle. Each Savage took one complete bottle to clean up. While cleaning them, we realized that the stuff we were using smelled, felt, and looked a lot like standard brake cleaner for regular cars. But we also noted that the stuff we used was safe on electronics in RC cars. Can brake cleaner be used when spraying down an RC car?

Also, what do you guys use to clean your cars???

Thanks.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:58 PM
lateapex

Default RE: Car Brake Cleaner to clean the RC Car?? What do you use?

I've been using brake cleaner. Seems to be working well. I haven't been using it for long though but it works well on all the hard parts like chassis and suspension. I wouldn't use it on my body or anything though. The good stuff won't leave residue which is always good.

Way cheaper than RC cleaner. That stuff is such a rip off. Just like pretty much any other RC specific tool or lubricant...
Old 12-14-2004, 03:15 PM
losixxx-nt

brake clean, and carb cleaners are stronger than the rc cleaner so you have to be careful about the important stuff (elctronics, motor)

yes rc cleaner is a rip off a $7 a can but if you can clean your car off with compressed air first it will save you $ and time.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:11 PM
cenracer1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you are looking for a quick clean, then use brake cleaner carefully... avoid the body and electronics.... I don't use any spray cleaner on any of my trucks... I use orange cleaner and denatured alcohol... works very well although this is done at home not at the track.... I like to take apart and clean everything when I'm done.. also good to check for damage.....at the track I just use a brush and some compressed air to clean off the big chunks....
Old 12-14-2004, 04:55 PM
fhm101

Be careful with any strong solvent based cleaner. The Losi NT trans mission case and battery box will become brittle and crumble if you use anything much stronger than denatured alcohol, including Simple Green. I've got a maxx in my shop with all the servo cases, receiver case, carb boot, and the plastic wire insulation runied by some kind of spray cleaner. If the cleaner you are using leaves a whiteish haze on your plastic parts quit using it. It's leaching the moisture out of the plastic which will leave it brittle.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:18 PM
aliens8mycow

I thought the hobby grade cleaner was a rip-off too. Brake cleaner will definitely leach moisture from plastic, which will prepare it for mucho breakage in the near future. It will also destroy your electronics.

I use Duratrax Motor Spray on my elec motors and electronics, and rubbing alcohol or denatured alcohol (whichever is handy) on the rest. Glass cleaner is great for the body and plastic parts too.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:05 AM
lateapex

now you guys have me all nervous about using brake cleaner. Do they have denatured alcohol at Home Depot? Do I just get a spray bottle and put it in there?
Old 12-15-2004, 11:28 AM
Metalhack
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: lateapex

now you guys have me all nervous about using brake cleaner. Do they have denatured alcohol at Home Depot? Do I just get a spray bottle and put it in there?
HD does have denatured alcohol...its in the paint department. What I do is I take an old toothbrush and dip it into the DN and scrub away.

At the track after each run I use a toothpick for the tight areas and brush for the heavy stuff. I also use compressed air....that gets most of the junk out. If you do this everytime the weekly maintenance and cleaning is a snap!
Old 12-15-2004, 11:30 AM
cenracer1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes... It is in the paint department.... ask if you don't see it... they definately sell it... You can use a spray bottle if you want but you will use alot this way... I use air to get off the chunks, then a degreaser like orange cleaner... doesn't dry plastic and rubber.. then I use a q-tip and pipe cleaners to clean the truck... lastly.. wd40 to finish off.. looks new when done....
Old 12-15-2004, 03:15 PM
lateapex

I wish I had compressed air! Is there a cheap way of getting just a small amount of air just for cleaning cos it would be perfect.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:56 PM
fhm101

Check the local pawn shops. I picked up a nice Porter Cable pancake compressor for $75 a couple of years ago and it's still going strong.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:49 PM
Metalhack
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: lateapex

I wish I had compressed air! Is there a cheap way of getting just a small amount of air just for cleaning cos it would be perfect.
You can buy portable air tanks for short money. Then just go to your local garage/gas station and fill it there. A 20 gallon tank should last you quite a while.