Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Does nitro smoke really...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 12:35 AM
jakjr
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does nitro smoke really...

Does the smoke from a nitro car really kill the grass (or turn it brown)?

My dad said it does, but I run my T-maxx and nitro evader all over the yard all the time and it has never turned brown (or died).

The reason im asking is because im thinking of setting up a track in the backyard, but rather than use dirt Ill just use the existing grass. Less work, yard will still look fine, and I can setup it up or tear it down at any time.

Jumps will be built from wood, so theyll they be removable, and the track barriers will be made from pvc pipe and connectors, which will also be removeable.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:53 AM
dougi3000
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Does nitro smoke really...

the grass would eventually die most likely due to your cars tracking all over them than being poisoned by the fumes.
Short term, don't worry about fumes.
Long term, probably not a good idea.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:48 AM
xtremraptor
My Feedback: (24)

plus you'll be tearing up the yard in the corners. gradually you will destroy the lawn
Old 01-11-2005, 11:58 AM
ncgrunt

I would say that the idea of exhaust fumes doing it is nonsense. If nitro exhaust was toxic enough to kill grass just by moving over it (remember those fumes immediately mix with the atmosphere and lose concentration) you would probably be hurting if you breathed them.

Now, nitro fuel does contain 10-20% oil, and good bit of that oil will be sprayed out of the exhaust, and that can harm the grass. Is it enough to kill or damage it? I doubt it, unless you're running a LOT in a very small area.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:36 PM
smokingcrater

spilled fuel though will leave brown spots. even very small amounts will kill a fairly large area.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:06 PM
ncgrunt

Unburned fuel is not exhaust.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:43 PM
Nitro Rustler Racer

it wont kill your grass, but like mentioned if you make a track it will kill your grass
Old 01-12-2005, 06:02 AM
cossie

it wont kill ur grass but drinkin the fuel from the bottle or accidently sucking from the tank can help to givin u cancer cuz of some of the chemicals in the fuel
Old 01-12-2005, 07:39 AM
Ahab

-- just about everything is carconogenic, so why worry.

Astroturf! - its the future!
Old 01-12-2005, 07:58 AM
xtremraptor
My Feedback: (24)

it wont kill ur grass but drinkin the fuel from the bottle or accidently sucking from the tank can help to givin u cancer cuz of some of the chemicals in the fuel

no way man!![:'(]

so i should stop sniffing the tank when refueling.........[&o]J/K!!!
Old 01-12-2005, 08:04 AM
ooooo

ORIGINAL: ncgrunt

I would say that the idea of exhaust fumes doing it is nonsense. If nitro exhaust was toxic enough to kill grass just by moving over it (remember those fumes immediately mix with the atmosphere and lose concentration) you would probably be hurting if you breathed them.

Now, nitro fuel does contain 10-20% oil, and good bit of that oil will be sprayed out of the exhaust, and that can harm the grass. Is it enough to kill or damage it? I doubt it, unless you're running a LOT in a very small area.
Well said....just look at airplane guys, the spot where they tie down their planes and tweak their engines.....the grass is always dead. This is from the expelled exhaust oil and fuel overflow when filling the tank. When the plane is taxi-ing and on the runway for take off..the grass remains alive, and this is for both gasoline and nitro planes.
Now....if you have your buggy idling in one spot or racing round and round in the same location....chances are, you will kill the grass with oil buildup and tire grip combo.
Cheers.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:17 PM
cossie

ye u should and dont spill non on ya or drink ne, i mean i sniff mine neway cuz it smells nice and neva drink it i tell ya it tastes like crap trust me take my adive from a guy with expierence on the crap taste of it dont do it, also it take a few layers off ur tounge

ORIGINAL: xtremraptor

no way man!![:'(]

so i should stop sniffing the tank when refueling.........[&o]J/K!!!