Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

RCU Contest w/prizes just for rc car/truck/bugg fanatics! We want your input to design the contest!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

RCU Contest w/prizes just for rc car/truck/bugg fanatics! We want your input to design the contest!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 03:34 PM
Nitro Rustler Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RCU Contest w/prizes just for rc car/truck/bugg fanatics! We want your input to design the contest!

i was thinking the most moded truck, or car, and like prizes could be a LST, or REVO, or maybe some type off gift card
Old 01-31-2005, 03:46 PM
rcmobile

Default RE: RCU Contest w/prizes just for rc car/truck/bugg fanatics! We want your input to design the contest!

...true, photo ability can be a limiting factor, I guess I was considering content of photo over all, and forgot that aspect...I do like the idea of a few different categories to it all, there are so many different aspects to our hobby that it could be great..it could also be a boondoggle, however...who's to choose which forums to feature? ...one would have to specify more general categories, and forgo the minutiae to remain fair...'best engineering' 'best paint' 'best vintage' etc are all good, and they range across a variety of disciplines, rather that concentrating on one...this sort of thing allows everyone regardless of what they drive to play on a level field...what I don't want to see is want to see is a bunch of models that are never run being taken out of their boxes and dusted off for the sake of the contest, then put away again as soon as the pix are scanned, ya know?

...let's see those well-used, battle-scarred cars n trucks doing what they do best!
Old 01-31-2005, 03:46 PM
rcracer4evr

I like the action shot idea, but u have to have the camera info with it(date time), so we know u did not edit the photo. But for the shelf queens, nicest photo(nice car truck, hop-ups etc.)
Old 01-31-2005, 04:00 PM
summit_rules

My camera doesn't put the date and time on it... I don't think that's a good way to make sure people don't edit the pics. People could probably just edit in a date in time. But I actually don't think we have to worry about that. It's gotta be pretty hard to make a good action pic by editing it..... I would think it's much easier to actually go out and get the action pics the right way!!! Haha!!
Old 01-31-2005, 04:08 PM
gunnark

[size=2] i am just getting into the r/c world and in reading your posts i see alot of good ideas but one thing i have not seen is an idea of having separate beginners,intermediate,and expert categories.
as of right now i don't have a r/c yet. i am looking at the different ones out there trying to figure out what i want. my biggest problem is the money, i am on a fixed income so i can't go out and buy a top of the line unit so i'm trying to figure out what is within my range but isn't a waste of time. there are alot of people out there in the same situation and would like to be able to get into the contest but if you put everybody into the same category you would be putting the little guy against the people with more experience and money to put into the hobby.
my dream car/truck is a nitro 4wd. i want one that i can find a 1969 dodge charger body for,i want to make a general lee r/c as one of the bodies,plus having other bodies to switch around with too change the looks at times
Old 01-31-2005, 04:17 PM
rcmobile

...well gunnark, the best advice I can offer is one that I'm sure everyone else here can agree with, and that is that your own creativity is free...you don't need a huge budget to be a good driver, nor a good mechanic...take your time in choosing your model, learn everything you can about it, and don't be afraid to experiment to make it what you want it to be...I myself had a Tamiya Lunch Box years ago, and it was a blast to drive, but we all know it handles like a steamboat...well, I decided to make it something else indeed, and after a few days of tinkering, I went out and kicked a few JR-XT's off their own track with it, taking second place in the first race I'd ever entered...total cost? 20 bux worth of Mugen suspension bits, maybe 0.75 worth of aluminum scraps, and a few oil shox I had in my spares box...I still have that truck today, better than 10 years later and I run it a fair bit, too...it's not what you buy, it's what you make of it...
Old 01-31-2005, 04:29 PM
Wosstiferevo
My Feedback: (3)

Do you want a drawing or something
Old 01-31-2005, 04:41 PM
jimbo_98
My Feedback: (2)

1st place should get a rc car
Old 01-31-2005, 05:27 PM
rcfoolz
My Feedback: (1)

I see alot of good ideas, and good thoughts, but how about something along the lines of a fantasy r/c team?

You must choose 1 electic onroad racer, 1 nitro onroad racer, 1 1/8 scale onroad racer, 1 electic buggy racer, 1 nitro buggy racer, 1 off road truck racer, 1 Oval racer, to make it fair to give it a little bonus, the type of vehicle that wins the race,
(Example;Winternats race, 1/10th Nitro: Robbie Collins/ MTX-3).

The points would be for A and B mains only, with a 20 point for 1st and 1 for 20th. If the Driver wins the B and takes the Bump to the A, it is another 1 point bonus.
The Car bonus is 1 point only.

So, if Robbie came in 5th in the A, but somebody else won with the MTX3, you would still get the Bonus point for the Car and 16 for the Driver, giving 17 points.
If the racer you choose doesn't attent the race, 1 point is given, and you can still get the point for the type of Vehicle used)

If using this system it would be fair to most everybody, not everybody knows who's the best in all classes, and make things a little more interesting, it goes by points, you choose your racers for the months nationals or big races, it would take several months for the races to be ran and the person who's "team" with the most points would be the overall winner.

This will eliminate the person with the most money to build the shelf queen, the painter that can paint, the photographer that can shoot pictures, and the mechanicly inclined that have the brains to figure things out.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:33 PM
pythonfan
My Feedback: (1)

hi

I think each subject should have 10 judging categories like for cars 1.cleanest car 2. body 3. custom body 4. style 5. speed 6. hop up's 7. custom hop up's 8. stock look 9. custom look 10. originality and trucks 1. scale 2. tire 3. custom body 4. engine 5. cleanest truck 6. speed 7. stock 8. custom 9. power 10. originality and buggy 1. speed 2. stock 3. custom 4. body 5. custom body 6. wheels 7. engine 8. style 9. jumping strength 10. originality - prizes 1st place a free truck or car or buggy and 1 hop up 2 sec place 100 gift card 3rd place an upgraded member ship 4th place free member ship 5th place free review - the judging should be done by members and staff -

thank you
Old 01-31-2005, 05:49 PM
rcmobile

...yeow, that's the most complex idea yet...although there'd be pretty much no-one walking away without a trophy, I think it'd be hard to get enough sponsors to cough up no less than 50 prizes...
Old 01-31-2005, 05:50 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

I would like some kind of tuff truck challenge for monsters, racing for cars etc... but that wouldnt work im sure. So i think it would be best to do the action shots. True; some do not have the best ability to take photos, or the best equipment, but IMO it needs to be something people can see, and judge. I DONT like the ones of the most hopped up car/truck, mainly because anyone can dish out big $ and have an awesome shelf queen. The best painted body would be ok, but i dont like it because i am no good at painting body's, and i dont have the good stuff to do it like some. I personally think the action shots one would be the best. Each entry is allowed maybe 3 photos, and pick the person with the best 3 pictures. I also think RCU staff should do the voting or everyone else is gonna vote for there own stuff probably. It needs to be something every vehicle, and driver(experienced/unexperienced) can compete in, and with the best action shot; the vehicle doesent much matter. It needs to be something like the one where the driver looks like he would be having the most fun driving it. For prizes; maybe like a $100+ tower hobbies gift card, or just let the winner pick an item they would like within a certain price range. I dont know how much you guys are wanting to spend on this, but just let them pick an item that is within the price range, and send it their way. Not just hopups for a certain vehicle that is popular. Anyways. I thonk an action shot contest would be best where it seems to you guys that the driver was really enjoying the hobby, and not just doing it for the picture.

Eric
Old 01-31-2005, 06:02 PM
ReXeR

I dont think this will be good to have the modifiy a car, why not build a car? Not neccesarily from scratch, but building your own parts would be fun. I am a robotics guy that has since been more out of RC cars. Now into Combat robots (yes, like Battlebots)But, if there was a money prize, or gift certificate up for grabs, then I would come out with one of the craziest cars yet. I would build a full on kevlar/carbon fiber lay-up frame and chassis, and use my knowledge of brushless motors to build a CRAZY car to get the speeds way up. I would really enjoy making a car, and sign me up for the contest, I'm sure I will get people to notice my radical, robot meets rc car design. I would even go as far as to make my own Ti. parts.
--Bradley Hanstad
Old 01-31-2005, 06:12 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: neil.jb

i like the idea of a best action shot or short video contest which could be judged by a public vote, there could be different category's for the different groups of rc's, ie buggy, MT, ST, touring car ect ect, then the winner of each category could go into the grand final for the big prize

i agree, the prize should be a new car or truck of the winners choice for grand prize, 2nd place earns up to $150 in parts and 3rd earns some radio gear and tires 'n stuff...we should vote the winner of each category and then the RCU staff the grand prize winner. shots and movies should be judged on the skill of the driver, how hard the car is apparently being pushed and how much dirt it's throwing if off road. nitro and electric should be in differant classes and judged as such.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:21 PM
[email protected]

How about this a a prize?

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=410

It's not a fast car or truck. With all the bells and whistles, Radio, battery everything included. Customization, go crazy, lots of room, and the trailers, so many options, so little time to do it. But as a prize, it's different, and it's fun.

Now can one of these be entered into the contest?

Bernie
Old 01-31-2005, 06:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

kickass, and a sweet action shot would be one of those things calmly dragging a big block nitro monster against it's engine as if it were just sitting still or maybe lugging several hundred pounds of junk or something... overload it and send it in rollin on down the road hammer down...that would be beyond kickass! [8D]
Old 01-31-2005, 06:43 PM
andrewcars22

i think you should have members judge the best car, truck, buggy, ext. in electric and gas catigories. i also think one of the prizes should be a compleat rc tool kit.

andrew
Old 01-31-2005, 06:55 PM
fambek

I think the prize should be a NITRO Dragster with twin engines that both go 80mph, giant scale size dragster with a chromed out muffler.[8D]
Old 01-31-2005, 07:34 PM
sig p232

I agree with the thought of having a custom truck contest. Not just buy an emaxx and put all the aluminum you can find on it. You can use after market parts, but a % must be original, your own work.

Nate
Old 01-31-2005, 09:15 PM
mastertech-rcu

I think something along the lines of a concept car like the auto industry has would be a cool contest. The prize could be to have your concept end up in production.
originality would be the criteria. the more unusual and new tech would be the winner.
Voting both by staff and members would be the most accurate. you could break it into categories to satisfy everyone.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:07 PM
CRAZY BOUT RC

I think that i should it should be a contest on best idea or ideas
Old 01-31-2005, 10:27 PM
smitty4

i dont know if this has been mentioned but what about a contest about having a question being asked and see whos the first top how many ever to get it right.... having to do with rc... i mean that would require knowledge but idk
Old 02-01-2005, 10:58 AM
nitro-boy

i quite like nitrojoe's idea. i know i posted already but by doing it the way he said anyone could enter any catorgory they are able to. because people like me have no way of entering shelf queen or stuff like that because i dont have that much money to spend on my car even though i wish i did. having some stock contests would be cool. and prizes well i dont know cause i dont know if this site makes you guys alot of money and gift certificates would have to be for a shop of winners choice because if you were to give them out for towerhobbies then us guys in the UK can only buy half the stuff you americans could get because the shipping i guess is expensive and most of the certificate would be spent on shipping. i still think a Mini-T or Micro RS4 would be cool to get.
.steven.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:31 AM
scoop6274

I think there should be different catagories first off. something for beginners, something for intermediate, and something for experts. I like the design your own car, or part of a car contest, but that tends to exclude too many people. Some people are good a following directions to build a car, but have no clue on how design works, and others have engineering degrees. There would need to be rather specific guidelines for any contest that was run, and there would also have to be a lot of faith put in the honor system. And I think that we as RCer's can work on the honor system (or at least I would hope we could).

What might work, would be a category system. One where there are three categories, best action shot, best design (not store bought), and best paint job. The voting on these categories could be 50% online votes on 50% staff vote (not sure how the details on this would work). Then there could be an overall winner. One pick from all three categories combined, different from the winners of the seperate categories, and this one would be picked only by the staff. Granted, with the number of winners you would have, the prizes would probably be smaller, but the winners would at least have bragging rights!!!!! And there would be more opportunties for people to enter in something they are good at.

Anyway, just a thought.

My cars are Turbo Optima Mid SE, (needs work)
and a XXX-s Graphite plus that never gets run because of lack of time!!!!

scoop_69_98
Old 02-01-2005, 01:46 PM
prabbit

I vote for a the idea of a contest of general engineering / creation. This could cost next to nothing or many hundreds of dollars. It could be an in depth fabrication of nearly an entire car or a simple useful hopup made of plastic. I think a contest based on engineering would be a different change of pace from the usual body paint/most hop up/best action shot contests already out there. Give us a chance to show our useful and practical tallents and engineering capabilities. Who knows, maybe one of us will get an email from an aftermarket company for a job interview! Whatever you do, please don't limit it to major brands or a certian scale size. Give us all a chance to subnit something. This would make it a contest for everyone to share. I know I have a few ideas floating around in my head I would like to create.

-Peter

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.