Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Help for choosing a rc car

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 11:05 PM
marshnme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help for choosing a rc car

Hello, And yes i'm a beginner. I have a older Kyosho street car now. But want something a bit better. I'm not gonna start out racing , but we do have races near my home, and i am interested. Right now I want help choosing a Off-road vehicle either Buggey or truck that can be ran on pavement too. Something for a beginner, but good enough to be hopped up when needed to maybe race one day. But first gonna practice and learn to drive it. Heard that the HPI Rs4 and NTC3 are good cars, but dont know if they are just street cars, i want a all terrain car. With parts readily available, and is somewhat a durable and reliable car, provided its taken care of. I like the Savage 21 i read about on a thread earlier, do they also race the big trucks? any help is much appriecated!! P.S i want a 2 speed, 4x4 for sure!!
Old 10-08-2002, 11:43 PM
rcnitrorush99

I am new too and i am saving up for a HPI Nitro Rush. its a offroad truck. its pretty good too. I've read tons of reviews on it saying that its a real good truck and it is very durable. right now theres a ultimate combo for it on tower hobbies for 290 US $ and it comes with everything but gas. my friend has a Team Accsociated RC10GT which a good car too . I think both cars have a good amount of hop ups i dont know if you lhs will have many for the cars but I know for sure that Tower Hobies has some for the Nitro Rush . well, theres some ifno to help ya get started jsut ask me anything anytime i usualy check this site about 1 or more times a day so i can get back to ya quick if u need it . hope taht helps talk to ya later
-rcnitrorush99
Old 10-08-2002, 11:48 PM
marshnme

Default thanks

$290 for everything with a radio too? thats a good deal.thanks for reply
Old 10-09-2002, 12:00 AM
rcnitrorush99

yes its everything the car is a RTR package and then they give you enough glue for tires , batteries for car and radio, bateries for a cheap glow starter, and fuel bottle all u need is the fuel. if you have the money now if i where u and u want to bu yit then act fast becaus about 2 weeks ago it was at 280$ and i dunno why but the price is going up. im savin right now for it and I'll probobly be gettin it around chrsitmas and then I'm gonna run it like 24 7 because I am really into the cars now talk to ya later ask me anything if ya need it. i know a fair amount of stuff about cars already bc i got a friend whose been doing this for a long time. ttyl
-rcnitrorush99
Old 10-09-2002, 12:01 AM
rcnitrorush99

forgot this --- yes the RTR comes with the radio so your all set
Old 10-10-2002, 12:32 AM
Gmanlusk2004

but it doesn't have a 2 speed or 4x4....
L8r,
Garrett

P.S. my reccomendation is that you go w/ a full out race vehicle to start out w/ so you don't spend more money in the long run buying a new one.
Old 10-10-2002, 01:27 AM
trey3670
My Feedback: (10)

rc10gt rtr plus is about 300$ and is a great truck comes with everything even a glow start,its allmost indstructable,iv been jumping mine 7-8 feet in the air(NOT RECOMENDED!!) with little dammage other than bent tie rod and scratched chassy,just wanted to see what would break if i did it.so i would know before i raced it what parts to look for,the spur gear is wearing quicker than i thought it would but other than that great truck hpi trucks have good support parts everywhere but so does the gt go see what everyone else is running and get a feel for it,losi also makes a good truck not sure on there ready to run price
Old 10-11-2002, 12:29 AM
marshnme

hello and thanks for the reply!Is the RC10GT a good off road vehicle for hills, grass and dirt ect. and different wheels can be ran on roads too?Can they be hopped up too, with aftermarket parts to be faster? i was thinking of a T-Maxx or other Monster truck! I s the one ur speaking of have a 2 speed or just 1 how about 4x4 or reverse? thanks for the help! Bill
Old 10-11-2002, 01:05 AM
ModestCargo

The HPI Nitro MT is a pretty neat truck. It is 4wd and can be upgraded to a 2 speed. The kit comes with HPI's Nitro Star 15FE engine, which is great for bashing around. The RTR version is a little more expensive than buying the kit plus a Futaba 2PH radio. I haven't driven one yet, but after I got my GT my friend wanted a nitro car, and he went for the Nitro MT because it's 4wd and he wasn't planning on doing much racing.

However, I would reccomend getting an RC10GT Plus RTR. It's not four wheel drive, but I think it's the better deal. It is a great beginner truck, and it's pretty powerful. For $500 Canadian, you get the car, a glow starter, a fuel bottle, and a video to help tune and break in the engine. I just got mine a couple weeks ago. I was also looking at the Nitro MT as an option, but I decided to go with the GT because of reccomendations from my friends and also because it is the popular truck at my local racetrack.
Old 10-11-2002, 01:38 AM
trey3670

one other thing that may or may not matter,the hpi motors at least the two 15fe ones iv had just had a single needle carb,i could never tune it properlly,but freinds a mine swear by thiers maybe its jus me,the 15 on the gt is very easy to tune allthough im jaded i guess been doing it awhile
Old 10-11-2002, 05:19 PM
marshnme

OK guys, i was reallly leaning towards the new T-Maxx truck with the 2.5, but first the t-maxx sounds REALLY hard to break-in, (but i guess all of em' can be!). and the kind of fuel running best in it seems to be an issue. But in the formums here im hearing nothing but GOOD reviews on the RC10gt. Is it really that durable? and can it be hopped up to be competitive in the future with other rc's, are there different models or better RC10gts, or just a BASE model? What kind of terrain is recommended for that truck(gt) is it pretty fast out of box??? thanks guys ya'll are COOL!!
Old 10-11-2002, 06:56 PM
rcnitrorush99

its a good car. since your a begginer you might wanna get the RC10GT Plus RTR. its pretty fast and my friend has the RC10Gt and he says it a real good out of box car. i believe that there are many hop ups for this car to and it could proboboly be a good racing car if you have the right hop ups. it can go on mostly any terrain but i think i heard for grass the grass shouldnt be too long or it will catch in your car. so overall its a good car. right now im sticking with the HPI Nitro Rush so yea. if you got any more questions i chekc here at least once a day so i can answer anything if i know it.
rcnitrorush99
Old 10-11-2002, 07:39 PM
rcnitrorush99

fast too (gt)
Old 10-13-2002, 12:09 AM
ModestCargo

You can get more info on the GT kits available at Associated's website. If you've got the money, consider getting a Factory Team GT. It will save you money on hop-ups in the long run. It's a kit, so you will need a radio and an engine. I would reccomend a Picco .12 or something like that for the engine and a JR XR-2 radio. The RTR version or the team kit can be hopped up so it can be competitive, but it'll cost you more than plunking down the dough at first for a Factory Team. I would still reccomend the RTR version for a beginner, though. The RC10GT is pretty popular, it's what everyone at my track races. The Losi XXX-NT comes in second for popularity.

Click Here For Info On The Team Associated RC10GT
http://www.teamassociated.com/shusti...0GT_trucks.htm
Old 10-13-2002, 01:43 AM
dirtman-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

http://www.teamlosi.com/core.htm
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	30261_2060.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	18806  
Old 10-13-2002, 02:31 AM
nrctc3
My Feedback: (3)

The GT is a race proven truck for experts & beginners! It's very durable,and can handle anything you can throw at it (just don't throw bolders) The GT RTR PLUS is a great package it includes everything you need to get the truck running besides fuel. It's great for beginners just getting into r/c, experts, and anyone between. You don't need hop-ups to make this truck a competitor, but most every hobby shop carries parts for it. If not I'm sure they can order it for you! PRO-LINE and other companies offer on-road and off-road tires for it too! It's one of the best trucks on the market. It has many features that HPI trucks just can't compare to. For more info visit this site www.rc10.com
Old 10-13-2002, 02:58 AM
ModestCargo

Dirtman indicates you should get a Losi, but I wouln't want to reccomend a losi for a beginner. I was looking at the two vehicles, the GT versus the XXX-NT, and I found out that the GT costs $500 Canadian and comes with the car, engine, radio, fuel bottle, glow starter, and a video for tuning the engine. The XXX-NT costs $530 canadian and comes with the car, engine and radio. This would all be okay if the Losi was the better car. However, IMHO Losi cars aren't worth what you pay for and aren't as beginner friendly. The instructions that come with most Losi vehicles are pitiful. The GT has very good instructions, and even a video to help you tune and break in your engine.
Old 10-13-2002, 03:40 AM
dirtman-RCU

Although I am humbled by modest cargos' vast experience, I must disagree. The Losi couldn't have been any easier to set up and tune, lots of parts available, clear instructions, reliable running and easy to use. My friend Gary has an RC10 GT and it also is a fine truck. I personally like the Losi better because of a few differences in minor items. It all boils down to preference. My advice to a potential buyer of nitro rc would be to hang around a track, talk to a reputable hobby shop about quality and parts and also remember that opinions are just that, opinions. Modest Cargo and I probably frequent the same lhs, so he should know that they and others carry a vast array of rc vehicles, all of which have there own good and bad points, depending on the application. Also, if you purchase a certain brand, you're gonna think it's great! Ford, Chevy- Yamaha, Honda- Losi, Associated, it's all good. It'd be the ****s if everybody had the same car as me!!!
Old 10-13-2002, 06:55 AM
ModestCargo

Well, I'd say that the GT and the XXX-NT are about matched. Both have their weak points and their strong points. My personal preference is Associated cars, but again, that's just me.

Losi probably improved their manuals in a couple of years because as far as I can remember, they sucked.

What lhs do u frequent mostly? I like Great Hobbies, that is where I got my GT from. I find the folks at Hobby Wholesale pretty good to deal with, too. Man, why is it that the only place you can get model railroad stuff is Kites & Other Delights? Great Hobbies is no longer selling RR stuff. Gotta do something on the rainy days, right?
Old 10-14-2002, 06:20 PM
slodsm

There is no better or worse for either truck, XXX NT or GT, it is just a trade off in strong points. Either way you will not go wrong, everyone is going to defend their personal preference just because it is human nature. I will neither defend my Losi's (because there is no need) or condemn the GT cause it is a good truck too, either way you will not be dissapointed.
Old 10-14-2002, 07:17 PM
marshnme

hey thanks to all of u for ur good advice and input, now im debating between a gt and a t-maxx, i want something durable for off road, but can be ran on pavement as well, i guess thats proabably the GT. Hey u can jump them GT on dirt hills?
Old 10-14-2002, 07:20 PM
rcnitrorush99

how fast do you think a HPI Rush can go? and how fast do you think a RC10GT plus can go? thanks im deciding between to get one of those im gettin info to decide which one is better i would like one that is fast so i jsut wanna know the speeds of each
Old 10-14-2002, 08:39 PM
trey3670

ok i gotta weigh in here,i started out with a marui samurai way back when that car could race,had sevral others till i found the rc10,got out for a coupla years then found the rc10t about 10 years ago or so and ae fits me like my chevy truck it fits me ford doesnt feel right,the refrence was made earlyer in this post and its true as the new owner of a nitro tc3 ae fits me ya gotta find the one that fits you,personally losi is a tuners car/truck ae are more forgiveing if they are a little outta wack that my opin
Old 10-15-2002, 09:58 PM
ModestCargo

RCNITRORUSH, The GT is the way better truck in my opinion. I think it goes faster than the Nitro Rush right out of the box, but I'm not totally sure.
Old 10-15-2002, 11:07 PM
rcnitrorush99

yea thanks for the info. i have now changed my mind to the RC10GT in a diff thread people where calling it jsut the RC10 is that the same thing as the RC10GT justa shorter name? yea ive realized the rush is more looks that power and i want a good fast car to use thanks
rcnitrorush99

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.