Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

How many people are into R/C drags?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 01:02 AM
NitroRage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How many people are into R/C drags?

Yo dude,, Is that laural white and called Can of whup ass??? tip up body like a FC,, Big block chevy?? if so I got pics of it from Thompson Ohio Gasser meet from 2003..I had a super great time there.. Let me know!! I also have a 58 morris minor 1000 With a 1500+ hp blown injected alky burnin motor in it . 1500+ hp and 1800 lbs,,, hahahaha do the math....
Old 04-06-2006, 01:51 AM
griz11

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm into r/c drag racing big time. I'd be into 1:1 drag racing if I could afford it. What amazes me when I talk to others about r/c drag racing is that they don't think the cars even have steering. They all have steering believe me you need it. And you need to be able to tune a nitro engine better than anyone I've met at on-road or off-road events. Since essentially you are racing each others tune in top fuel. The cars aren't that much different in a spec class. Everyone pretty much weighs the same uses the same sized engine so its up to the tune and the preparation of the cars as to who wins. And there is always the fact that was mentioned earlier. If you snooze for even a microsecond during a run your going home early. When you think about these cars are pretty amazing. The best r/c top fuel guys run 60 feet in just about .900 seconds. The top fuel cars in the .800 range. Which means for almost 50 feet the r/c will beat the real car. Another example is that the top fuel car to make a run in the 1.6 second range, which is where you need to be to win national events, will cover the first 6 feet in about .230 seconds. This is the most important part of the run. If you loose too much time in the first 6 feet you won't make it up period. Now the average person takes .2 seconds to detect something has moved. By the time you have seen the lights change and your finger hits the trigger the car is almost a foot beyond the tree which is about 5 feet out. You can't move your eyes back to see it leave in time to actually see it. No way. You simply move your eyes to the lane in front of the tree and wait until the car comes into view. But you gotta be quick or you will miss it and have to hunt for it down the lane a ways. The first 6 feet is done all by sound. If the car doesn't sound right you cut it off and hope you don't hear it whacking the wallboard. I've raced MT 1/8 scale buggies an on-road cars and drag racing by far is the most fun for me. How could you resist having a car that would do this on a regular basis.

Check out this pair of stripes. Is that enough 'burn out' for you

Or having a sweet funny car like this one

These are my cars. The Team Rat Pack cars sponsored by Rat Raceway in Denver Colorado and Expert Mobility in Ft Worth Tx.

The IMDRA World Finals is at our track in San Antonio this year in October. Check the IMDRA site www.imdra.com for some drag videos. There are links to a couple of old school drag videos from our old track on the front page. There are plenty more drag racing pictures on our club site www.sadragracing.com . If you like your racing extreme drag racing is for you.

By the way no burnouts in r/c drag racing. We use traction compound called Koford mainly. Its from the slot car world and very sticky. Most of that is flung off after 6 ft or so then the tires are plenty warm and plenty sticky. We put down huge amounts of VHT or LC-6 traction compound in each lane also. More than 10 gallons were put down on the track when it was built to season it. We drag tires to build up rubber and fill in any spaces between the rocks in the blacktop. While I'd love to smoke em up before a run it just isn't necessary. Same level of eye watering since we run 50 - 60 % nitro and very little oil. They do spin the rear tires all the way to the end. I have telemetry in the cars and I can see the wheels spinning in the graphs the telemetry puts out. It takes around 240 turns of the rear tires to get to the finish line but my rears are turning in excess of 8 grand at the finish. Go figure

Griz
Old 04-06-2006, 01:17 PM
NitroRage

Your soo right,, the first 6' or in real Drag Racing the first 60' is the most important by far.. The Real car I Drag race pulls a 1.08 60' time..And I tune the motor and prep the car according to the 60 times I get.Of corse RC Nitro engines turn Way more RPM than my real car does{{ SB Chevy 1500+ HP blown{ 6/71} enderle birdcatcher Injected on alky}} I'm turning 9200 rpm on a pass .
Old 04-06-2006, 02:39 PM
griz11

I'd kill to have a real drag car man. Takes a lot of grief to put one together. And a lot of cash. A guy that lived a few houses up from me when I was in Jr High worked on AA/FD engines for Bobby Langley and Vance Hunt two old Dallas rail drivers. I was up there all the time checking it out and going with them to the old Green Valley track in Smithfield Tx. So I've had it in my blood since the early 60's. I was so happy when I found out about R/C Drag racing. I love to watch F1 WSC MotoGP IRL CART most any kind of racing but drag racing is what I would want to do if I had my choice of any of them. I even race 200mm tc's online anything to race I hear a really good 6 ft time to shoot for a 1:10 top fuel car is .220. Mine ran a .238 so I'm not far off. I don't understand it fully yet why you can't make up time if you screw up your 6ft or 60ft in your case time. You can get some of it back with a good top end charge but not all of it. I just finished getting mine all packed up ready for this weekend. Living in Tx is really good for your racing habit. We run pretty much year round. I built a wired break in bench to break in the engine for that rail. It was a Nanda break in bench with eagle tree systems sensors and datalogger on it. I also had a throttle servo mounted with a board that allowed me to control the servo via usb on my laptop. The engine is fitted with a prop and I have a rpm sensor two temp loops and throttle position sensors. You can sit there using the mouse to work the slide control for the throttle watching the temp and rpm to make sure you are using all the rpm range and keeping the temp where it should be. Pretty good control too. I could rev it up to cycle the temp back up a bit and watch the temp coming up throttle back down and the temp would just kiss the intended target. Next thing I want to do is program some logic so the computer will do the throttle monitor the temp and have a profile it follows so the rpm is never in one place for very long. It worked great on the engine. It broke 2 seconds its first time out with 1/4 gallon through it still very tight. The 2nd weekend it was down to a 1.806. When I tore it down I found the clutch spring was right on its wear limit and the pipe needed to be shortened just a bit. It was falling over at the top not enough supercharging effect from the pipe at the max rpm range. The higher the engine revs the shorter that pipe needs to be. So its the same kind of thing in the scale world. Check everything check it again you know the drill. Except it doesn't cost huge amounts of money My best 1/2 track time last weekend was 1.126. That is 66 ft. The run was 1.806 so it did the second 66 ft in 0.68 seconds. I wish I could get it to do the first half in 0.68 seconds I'd be unbeatable

Griz
Old 04-07-2006, 01:12 AM
NitroRage

Griz,, What clutch are you using?? I'm using a werks power clutch set up with the heavy spring and rulon shoes.. I'v also heard good things about this clutch and its very adjustable. It sounds like you are deff heading in the right direction. Good luck this weekend man,, Get out there and knock the tree down with super RTs.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:28 PM
griz11

I just bought this program called starting line 2.0. Its a tree simulator and works with all kinds of joysticks mice and the steering wheel set-ups. All kinds of adjustments etc for 40 bucks. My Rx times have been too slow gotta work on those too. I use a modified Mugen on-road clutch. I just bought a roulon shoe and a super hard clutch spring to try out. My clutch has all JP lightweight parts. Spring cup pressure plate clutch bell and the flywheel has been lightened also. It hits like a mule perfect for drag racing. Some of the guys are experimenting with the new Orion clutch which I think is similar to the Werks. I used to use Werks and fioroni slider clutches on my 1/8 buggies. The Mugen on-road is a good clutch we use the MRX 1/8 clutch and the MTX 1/10 tranny. I use the old style 2nd gear engager with the pawl. But the 1st and 2nd gear housings are modified and don't have any extra metal on them. Cut to the bone Rotating mass kills your times. I even polish the teeth on the pulleys so there is minimum friction for the belt as it moves over them. I don't use the thrust bearing either don't need it for drag racing. One of the main things that is different between the Biohazard Litespeed chassis and the old X-21 chassis is the difference in weight of the rotating parts. Much lower with the Bio. I've ordered a set of the 08 modulus gears that have been drilled on a cnc machine so they are still balanced. Have to change out the pinions and spurs. They are less than half the weight for the spurs and a little less for the pinions. I'm trying to get it below the weight limit so I can add weights to balance it up to get back to the weight limit of 44oz. But the weight savings is going slow now. Just about have all the easy stuff found and fixed. Now comes the hard part getting the weight down any further. They started the Megatech Nationals in Atlanta today. They should have some results on the www.imdra.com site later today. Watch Jeff Schmitt David Guerreo and Bill Possio. They should be running fast. I don't know who else will be there but if Gary Pugh or Peter Martin show up they will be right up there too. Bill's car the A-51 is a new design that runs in Ultimate Extreme class which has no weight or motor limit. It is a direct drive car with a .28 RB engine. Its already went 90.9 at our strip. He just made some major changes before leaving to go to Atlanta so it should run at least that well. Who knows maybe he'll get that magic 100mph run we'll be running tomorrow I'm already packed up ready to go in the morning

Griz
Old 04-09-2006, 02:04 PM
griz11

Here is a video clip of a .21 powered top fuel car on a 1.81 second pass.

Click here to watch Nitro-Top-Fuel-Run

And another of a grudge match between two top fuel cars.

Click here to watch Team-Rat-pack-dragster-wins-again

Griz