Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

New Driver w/ First Car -- HaiBoxing

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 05:46 PM
BEARBYSR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Driver w/ First Car -- HaiBoxing

Duratrax doesn't do knockoffs, however the Haiboxing HBX Cross Tiger is a Tamiya knock off.I have the HBX Cross Tiger like yours and I have had great luck with it.It,s been the only car I have that I,ve been able to run in the cold without parts breaking.I have realy put it thru some hard runs and havn't had any problems except for an occasional lug nut coming loose.For the price, it has been great.I have read that some Tamiya parts will fit the HBX but I also found a company in the UK that sells HBX replacement parts and hop ups for the Cross Tiger.Very pricy though because of the currancy conversion rates(us to the pound sterling).The company is nitrotech and they sell alot of Acme nitro stuff to.I wish I had some luck with the Square Griffen parts.I just can't seem to get anywhere with it and it's been very frustrating having 2 of these cars down with no way to get parts.Oh well,live and learn.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:00 AM
magnat

Relax and chill people.. I also own a HBX Bonzer and Order Tamiya parts and it works fine..
the only real difference is the TL-01's front bumper is held on with 2 screws and not 3 like the HBX one..

Bonzer Owners can use the suspension parts from either the Wild Dagger, Twin Deatonator or Double blaze as they are all Tl-01 Based..

and for real laughs.. the Wheels and Tyres from HPI Wheelie King will fit the bonzer aswell..

I am currently running a 19x2T motor and a 17T pinion.. Temps are still high but tolerable..
I use an M-troniks RV11 ESC....

Old 03-08-2007, 05:33 PM
BEARBYSR

Thanks for the info.It seems like the Bonzer is very popular across Europe,Asia,and Austrailia.I talk to alot of rc guys from the UK and they love the Bonzers over there.It has been a good,well built,durable truck and I'm very happy with mine.I havn't done any mods to it yet but I plan on doing some minor stuff to it.It,s pretty good as is.I will try the Tamiya parts when I need something.How easy is it to change the moters?It seems like the gearing is pretty hidden in the chassi and hard to get at,but I never have actually tried it.What motors will easily adapt to the Bonzer?For the price, I don,t think it can be beat for a beginner truck.I have a Duratrax Evader and I like that to but it just isn,t as durable with the hits and jumps.Heck of alot faster though.I'm thinking of trying out a nitro car.I,ve used all electric up to this point and I wanted to expand a little.Any suggestions on a good beginner nitro off road truck in the 250$ to 400$ range?
Old 03-10-2007, 08:19 AM
.46NitroAddict

Hi shockz42069,

In reply to the questions you asked
ORIGINAL: shockz42069

I am BRAND NEW to this whole entire hobby. I've read as much as I can and have some basic concepts down, but I find my problem....unique? Undoubtly it isn't unique, and I am just portraying my newbness. Anyway, I got a CEN Magnum NX the other day and it seems like a pretty sweet truck. I broke in the engine using some heat technique or whatever, and during this process I didnt notice any leaking at all. Here is where my lack of knowledge kicks in....like a smart kid I simply thought the antennae was built into the car. (I bet you can see where this is going fast now.) Car was idling smooth, so i gave it a good punch to see what this guy could do, and immediately lost control after about 50ft due to the lack of range. The NX simply just ran off the parks grass, into the parking lot, and headfirst into a curb. When I got to the car fuel was everywhere and dripping out the muffler as well. Simply put, O broke the fuel tank in one of the 2 spots it screwed into. Obviously the fracture was due to the impact....but what the heck? I am watching videos of people taking this vehicle off unbelievable jumps, flipping it in the air, rolling it, crashing, etc....and then simply driving away. In no way was my impact as great as the things ive seen in the videos. I even saw one of these crash straight into a wall at half speed atleast! So basically I am wondering...what the hell happend? Is this normal on a 1 piece chassis? Did I bend the chassis and dont realize it? Could this have been a factory flaw? I just cant fathom how that much pressure was put on that specific part. Also, since it was a nice, big, full tank of fuel, it spilled all over everything....I have done my best to clean everything I can with a simple wipedown with one of those fiber cloths(for cleaning sunglasses etc)...but it cant be just that easy...unless I just wanna be the super newb who destroys his car in 2 days. Should I just order the part...or call CEN? Any help is appreciated thx!
I guess firstly, I should say welcome to the wonderful world of R/C & more importantly CEN Racing!

Secondly, you are probably posting in the wrong area. (No insult intended to you or other people in this post / thread!)

You may want to try these following links instead;-

[link=http://cenracing.com/phpBB2/index.php]CEN Racing Official Forum[/link]
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_310/tt.htm]RCU - CEN Racing Support Forum[/link]
[link=http://www.cenracing.com/]CEN Racing Official Web Site[/link]

Since these guys are CEN owners like yourself & probably have had the same or simmilar problems to you! Also you will find that this RCU site has a very good search feature!

Finally, always read your manual first. You'll may even be supprised what you will find in it!

Have Fun, hope this gives you a starting place,

Regards, .46NitroAddict [>:]
Old 04-26-2007, 09:18 AM
stryker-man

Hi All,

I also bought this one back here in europe, the Netherlands. In europe they come (brand) as: hai bo xing, Reely, Seben, Bonzer....
Allready tried a little 'mod' if you unscrew the front cardan cover, you can easily remove the ehhh what is it called in english...? i dont know: teethwheel? or was that a pivot? pinion?
Anyway, the biggest part on the other side of the cardan seen from motor. put the 2 rollers back in, close up.
Now this rather good standard motor just have to power 2 wheels and a free running axel ! It is noticably faster (not a whole lot, but fasstteerrr :-)

In 4wd it still is impressive for 89 euro (including pistol rc, 8 batterys, wallsocket 900 mah charger, and 1 1800 nicd powerpack)
Since i have a BCG 3300 and a Sanyo 3600 it is even faster then with the 1800, and runs a bit longer :-)

Sand, gras, hills, dirt, mud, it takes all like its pavement. I taped upper deck close, and don't run through water !!
The steering is even adjustable and so are the front wheels steering rods, normally a hop up for other brands!

For this money, sturdy, an all-taker, abuse me shouting 4wd drive truck its just GREAT !

The body i painted black, windows still see-through, front un-touched because of lights and grill. (will spray that black to if my stickers come in)

Old 06-02-2007, 03:11 PM
rc2271

Man, I did not know anybody on these forums knew anything about these trucks. Anyways, I have a quick question, and sorry if it is stupid or if has already been asked.

What is better (and I know they're both from the same company), the Cross Tiger or the Speedy Cobra?
Old 06-02-2007, 03:23 PM
rc2271

Ah crap, i'm an idiot. I did not realize this thread was a month old
Old 06-02-2007, 05:02 PM
alias_neo

Please don't take offense by my comments, none is intended.

I got sick of cheap RC cars, no fun in them for my anymore i'm 20 years old, 10mph out of a battery powered piece of 1/4mm plastic bodied hunk of junk just doesn't do it for me. Not saying these ones you have bought are junk but I'd say they are more toy cars than RC. I just got myself an Xray XB8 on recommendation, it's a mongrel XB8/TQ with a race engine in it, nitro of course, easily does 40+ although i havn't been able to top it out past 40 yet due to space restriction.

If you think one of those is complicated you should see one of these babies, but like has been said, once you have a go at messing about with parts you get the hang of it.

I have just totally stripped down my XB8 and reckon i could put it back together in 2/3 hours.

About the note on digital camera pictures, I'm a student of Electronics Engineering and Computer Science, my digital camera has been one of the most useful tools i have had, seriously, every time you change something, take a picture, it's the best way to get perfect detail and there is no way you can describe something to yourself in writing any better thn using a picture.

As i was dismantling my car i took pictures of every stage, over 100 pictures, come in very handy for seeing where and how everything goes, after 2 rebuilds i can do it without now only having to check the manual for which size screw goes where.

Also, on that note, about small cars etc and simple ones, i just also bought a Losi Micro T, really cheap, really small but move nice and fast, batt doesn't last very long but they can be modded with lipo batts and brushless motors, good fun for in the house or a small track and they move faster than you would expect.

Anyway, have fun, and if you really enjoy try getting into a low end nitro or proper electric RC (electric have more power for what you get generally) but the authenticity and fun of tuning/moding nitros is also a great attraction, nitro does get quite expensive however. (as i just found out driving mine in my street somewhere over 40mph, rolled it 10 times and into the side of a pickup (real) truck. I think the pckup was worse off than my car but a new driver door for it is probably worth more than my RC. :S
Old 06-02-2007, 07:57 PM
.46NitroAddict

Hey rc2271,

The fact that this post is old is a good thing, it means that you are using the forum the way it should be used. (Find an exsisting subjuct & continue it). WELL DONE!!! (Who wants a thousand threads on the same subject? Not me that's for sure)

To answer your question, My daughter has a HBX Cross Tiger I feel it is value for money, especially if you treat it that way! (as an entry level r/c) & don't expect it to do what a $1200- truck can do!. (even after all, they can still break).
As for the Speedy Cobra, I (we) can't comment first hand. It's the buggy version? If so it has exactly the same running gear, motors servos, radio etc. except a different body & from memory possibly shorter arms.
So either way, as a cheap starter r/c can't go wrong, parts are easy to get. The manual even has the Tamiya part # next to each part if to can't source the replicas........

Hope this helps, I even have a go when I can't be bothered getting my nitro out!

Regards, .46NitroAddict [>:]
Old 06-02-2007, 08:30 PM
rc2271

Alright, didn't know if you were allowed to revive or bump old threads, guess I know now.

And no, the Speedy Cobra is a truck, released before the Cross Tiger I think. They're probably the same thing but I thought the HBX guys could give me a little more insight.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:59 PM
alias_neo

There is no rule to say you cna't revive old threads, some people just like to moan about it, i presonally think it's a good idea, saves cluttering up with more and more threads. Keep it up!
Old 06-03-2007, 12:11 PM
Phelansa

There is another thread here somewhere "HBX, who else owns one" or something like that. Some really good info on these trucks there. On both the "Speedy Cobra" and the "Bonzer".

Just about everything from upgrades to "known problems"

Edit:

Link to the other HBX thread. Running to 24 pages now!!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4964793/tm.htm
Old 09-26-2007, 11:56 AM
andjayik

How did u fix the reverse problem? Just bought the HBX buggy and i have no rev, barely anything when played with the trim?
Old 09-27-2007, 09:17 AM
andjayik

will a a new ec tazer 12t contoller transmitter work with the HBX buggy as my ecs controller started smoking after 5 minutes of use and never did get the reverse to work?