Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Hairdryers and Glow Plugers Starters

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 04:19 PM
2fast2slow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hairdryers and Glow Plugers Starters

Since I'm new to gas r/c I decided to do some research. And I find out that Glow Plugs are used to heat the Glow Plug in inside in the engine. And while reading some post I remeber a guy saying that you can used Hairdrys to heat the glow plug since Hairdryers can blow some hot air out. So I was wondering if a hairdryer would work.Thanks
Old 07-21-2005, 04:22 PM
Ahab

Default RE: Hairdryers and Glow Plugers Starters

you have your wires crossed a little.

some people have trouble starting their engine when it is cold, so they use a heat gun or hair dryer to warm their engine before they start - this is especialy useful when running in the winter.

The Glow plug would still need to be connected to a Glow Starter/Heater(same thing) to start the truck though.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:25 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Ahab

you have your wires crossed a little.

some people have trouble starting their engine when it is cold, so they use a heat gun or hair dryer to warm their engine before they start - this is especialy useful when running in the winter.

The Glow plug would still need to be connected to a Glow Starter/Heater(same thing) to start the truck though.
to expound upon what ahab said:
the hair dryer or heat gun (i use a heat gun) is used to heat the block of the engine, to help it expand, because when it's cold (i.e. 30ish outside) the engine contracts like crazy, and the engine is more or less siezed.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:57 PM
2fast2slow

thanks u 4 your help
Old 07-22-2005, 10:24 AM
dbow
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: 2fast2slow

Since I'm new to gas r/c I decided to do some research. And I find out that Glow Plugs are used to heat the Glow Plug in inside in the engine. And while reading some post I remeber a guy saying that you can used Hairdrys to heat the glow plug since Hairdryers can blow some hot air out. So I was wondering if a hairdryer would work.Thanks

The hairdryer thing originally surfaced when people were having issues with breaking in engines. This is because the taper in the sleeve is tighter at the top and on a new engine the piston and sleeve are very tight until broken in.
At times the piston can get stuck at the top of the sleeve.
The hair dryer heats the sleeve and causes it to expand so that starting a new engine is easier.

Once its broken in the fit should be fine and there should not be any other issues.

Dbow