Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Don't know a strut tower from a butt flower...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Don't know a strut tower from a butt flower...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 04:52 AM
bovick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't know a strut tower from a butt flower...

Hi guys,
I just dug out an old RC (radio shack windstreaker II) that I had stuffed in a box in my storage and realized that I really missed messing around with it. It was just a toy way back then, (had 2 kids since then ), but now after finding this site (AWESOME SITE BTW), and reading through the forums like a madman.. I've decided that the RC hobby is definitely for me.
Now the problem is.. I don't know a damn thing about the mechanical aspect of RCs or real cars for that matter []. Never been important to me (till now). I understand a good bit about the electronics (esc, radio, receiver, motors, etc) (i'm an electrical engineer )... but I was really hoping perhpas if someone had or perhaps would be kind enough to make a page or sticky post to help out noobs/dummies like me... this may sound stupid, but I was thinking perhaps just a set of pictures of each part, then a small blurb about what its function is, or something like that.

PS: that old windstreaker seems to have screwy electronics... only wants to turn left, not right... motor, servo still good.. so if I understand right, I can just swap out the circuit board in there and just slap in a new radio/reciever pair and hook up to the old motor/steering servo and be all set ...right? i don't want to actually take the trouble to troubleshoot the board though i probably could if i had the time [8D]
thanks!
Old 03-11-2006, 07:30 AM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Don't know a strut tower from a butt flower...

Hi there, if you go to http://www.nitrorc.com/ they have a very imformative "beginners help" section, as well as glossary of RC terms.

For more in-depth articles in such things as nitro engines, clutches, set-ups, tyres etc look here > http://www.rccaraction.com/rc/articles/index.asp Wery well written articles, often with diagrams and photographs .

As for your "windstreaker II" you SHOULD be able to swap out the electronics if it uses regular RC servos, although very poor quailty - toy type - RC's generally use different size servos (or have magnetic stering). I'm not suggesting your car is poor quality - i'v never seen, or even heard of a "windstreaker II" (probably before my time), but the quailty of the installed electronics will dictate what you can do to it. If you post pictures or even a link i would probably be able to tell you if they were industry standard - for lack of a better term - electronics.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:16 AM
-Inverted-

Well I cant say much as your car is pretty old, but if your interested in a new car take a look at some exploded views to kinda get an idea how things go together.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:45 AM
Wide Open

i have no idea if youve found these websites yet, but maybe once you decide what kind of car you want to buy you can take a look in here where they stock lots of different cars.[8D]
www.towerhobbies.com
www.horizonhobby.com
and remember, its all about fun!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62747.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	424133  
Old 03-11-2006, 01:21 PM
Doahh

YGAPM
Old 03-12-2006, 09:04 PM
bovick

Thanks guys... Those sites with the articles and glossary are very helpful. As for the Windstreaker II, no need to walk on eggshells about its "quality" .... it's basically a POJ, but it was one of my first cars, so it's sentimental value that makes me want to hop it up and get it going again. It's got a servo in there for the steering with what looks like a MSC in there next to/attached to the servo for some odd reason.... I'm thinking of replacing just about all the electronics and pretty much just keeping the chassis and original motor... anyway, I went onto fleabay and got a little too exicted and bought too much stuff one of the auctions i won is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6041637004

My daughter went ahead and got a little bid happy on it... what do you guys think about the bang/buck ratio there?
oh well, at least we'll have fun & maybe learn sumthin trying to get 'em up and running
Old 03-12-2006, 09:33 PM
-Inverted-

Thats a pretty good deal for all that stuff.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:22 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Catchy thread topic!

Not bad for the price! I would have done it, and I'm a nitro guy!

Ryan
Old 03-14-2006, 05:47 AM
bovick

heh, yeah ...well i feel a lot better about the deal now ... just hope the electronics aren't all flaky. Anyway, jumping the gun a bit, but I was wondering... to slow an electric down (for the kiddies), what's the easiest way? I'd figure undervolting: putting in a battery pack of only 4 cells or so instead of 6 perhaps? or will this hurt ESC/receiver?

as for the thread title, heh.. at the time i honestly didn't know the difference... amazing what a little reading and searching about will teach ya... though i must admit, i'm still not quite sure what a butt flower is
Old 03-14-2006, 11:08 AM
-Inverted-

heh, yeah ...well i feel a lot better about the deal now ... just hope the electronics aren't all flaky. Anyway, jumping the gun a bit, but I was wondering... to slow an electric down (for the kiddies), what's the easiest way? I'd figure undervolting: putting in a battery pack of only 4 cells or so instead of 6 perhaps? or will this hurt ESC/receiver?
If the transmitter has EPA (end point adjustment) you can turn it down which will lower the top speed. If not running 4/5 cells would work also.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:52 AM
stevensj

Bovick, you got a heck of a deal on that ebay auction!! Your going to have a lot of fun with that! And yes, slowing down the electrics is probably needed, ive run my jato for months, but when i run my mini t inside i still hit walls and crap, and the little thing does wheelies with the mamba motor on it, it's crazy. Your going to have a lot of fun, i wasn't a big fan of electrcs and then i got my hands on this mini t, now im a believer, lol.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:42 AM
bovick

Ok, well I finally got the package today... and oh boy am I in over my head.... I had sort of of forgotten to factor in the fact that I also need to find the time to work on the vehicles and such... not to mention I'm kinda confused as to the whole deal with what ESC works with what recevier, etc. The LRP seems to be happy with one receiver but not the other, while the Novak Cyclone seems to prefer the opposite. I think I'm just going to put the whole lot back up on fleabay and get a nice simple RTR for starters.... d'oh.
Anybody here interested in the lot? I could skip ebay and just ship it over for a set price... or a private auction or something...
Old 03-22-2006, 01:55 AM
-Inverted-

Hey,
Head on over and set it up right here on the RCU marketplace, it's free to set up. If nobody meets the deal you can put it up on ebay.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:23 PM
bovick

Cool,
I'll give that a shot
thanks