Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Low speed and idle tuning help needed

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Low speed and idle tuning help needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 07:45 AM
thunderlips

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low speed and idle tuning help needed

i had a similar problem with my t-maxx. when i hit the brakes, the engine would die. i tried adjusting the needles, but that didnt do it. i finally realized that i had to adjust the control arms coming from the servo to the brake and throddle. by tweaking those around, i found the right combo of placement settings. it worked perfect, but it took a while to get it just right. there is very little tolerance between right and wrong settings.
Old 05-09-2003, 12:15 PM
code_finger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low speed and idle tuning help needed

Right-
well, I just got the Mach going again last night-
what a pain in the booty.

Process? Slow and painful- but here's what I found.

I set the high speed needle at about 3 turns out- then set the low speed needle about even (2.5 turns)- It wouln't start.

So I richened up the low needle- the engine wouldn't start and was starting to vapor lock becasue it was flooded.

Removed plug, turned it over, put plug back in and leaned it out back to 2.5 turns and an extra 1/8th.

It would fire, but wouldn't run.

Leaner by 1/8th again.

Fire and run but would quickly load up and die.

Leaner by one more 1/8th and I could get it to run well enough to drive.

The high end was super rich, as was the low but I didn' care.

After about 3/4 of a tank of rich high speed passes, I started working the high end needle per the Nitro tune link found on this site.

Once the high end seemed good but rich, I started slowly leanding the low end.

Slow is the key- while it makes drastic differences tweeking the low end and high end all at once, hold yourself back.

A tiny change at a time is best- As in my case before, I was screwing around with all the adjustments- the the thing died and I couldn't dial it back in because I didn't know what was wrong.

But now, I've got it running well- it starts good and is still a tiny bit rich-

One more thing to point out- I used Losi's settings as well as Dynamite's settings and none of them worked. Do yourself a favor- trust yourself, work with small steps and you'll get it.

Thanks for all the help!