Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Pull start vs Electric Start

Old 12-29-2002, 05:55 AM
pitbullowner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pull start vs Electric Start

Which is better to have on a Nitro car, pull start or an Electric start? Whats the differences? I would think an electric start would work better?????????
Old 12-29-2002, 07:20 AM
crash_me_over
My Feedback: (16)

Default Re: Pull start vs Electric Start

Originally posted by pitbullowner
Which is better to have on a Nitro car, pull start or an Electric start? Whats the differences? I would think an electric start would work better?????????

Pull start can make it convenient to get an engine going as you don't need to drag along a starter box to do the job. That being said.....keep in mind most guys "LOVE CONVENIENCE" so a starter box....or electric starter is really the cream of the crop.

I have been plugging along with my pull starters and not caring one way or another "UNTIL" this weekend when I got a new Thunder Quake with a 21 engine in it. I have been pulling....and pulling....and pulling to get that beast started with no luck at all. Oh yes..... I have tried "EVERY TICK IN THE BOOK" to get it fired up and it just refuses to run. Sooooo.....I headed to the hobby store and bought the last starter box they had as I am determined to get this bad dog going....one way or another.

I ave flown airplanes for years and always flipped my props by hand.....but as time went along....I thought.....it's time for an electric starter. So I bought one for my airplane engines and I "LOVE IT". It sure makes easy work out of a task that can become annoying at times when an engine decides it doesn't want to fire.

So......if you have pull start engines and never use an electric starter box....then you will probably not have a comparison. But once you use an electric starter.....you'll be wondering what took you so long to get one!
Old 12-30-2002, 03:04 AM
angrybunnyaudio

ok, one thing. when you say electic start, do you mean traxxas' electric start, or a box start?
this is how i see it:
box start- best
pull start- still pretty good
electric start- someone should really work on this idea.

the thing with pull starts is, if your carb is tuned right, there is no problem at all. and there is no excuse for having a tuning problem. don't try and cover up a bad running engine with a quick fix. if it don't start in 3 pulls, something is bad wrong. start working on the problems at the sorce. as for box starts, these are great except their bulk. but again. if your carb is set right, you start your car up once, and that should be it. have you noticed that racers use box starts. its because they start their car at the begining of a main, and they don't have to worry about running out on the field to restart their car. just a few things to think about. but i repeat, dont' waste your money on an "electric start." it is just a sales gimick
Old 12-30-2002, 03:33 AM
Hondaracer03

I have learned that starter boxes are more lenient with carb settings than pullstarters. What I mean is that your engine can be too lean or too rich and it will probably start with a box but not with a pullstart. Also, a starter box is expensive(around $100 with battery and charger), but an engine with a pullstarter is usually $20 more, and most bargain engines (HPI .15FE, Ofna Force .12S) come with them at no extra cost. Just my $0.02.
Old 12-30-2002, 04:01 AM
crash_me_over
My Feedback: (16)

Update on the Thunder Quake....It's going back tomorrow. Defective engine is what it has.
Old 12-31-2002, 02:43 PM
snoopster

Hey!!!
I wouldnt even consider getting a starter box. Waste of money,bulky and pull starts are better. Electric starts I would agree are just a gimmick and create extra hassle.

Now.....Pull starts.....If it works, why change it???

I've never had any problems with my pullstarts on either of my cars!!! They're difficult to break(cheap to replace if you do)there always with your car, you dont need to worry about charging them and as the guy above said they show up any problems. If your car doesnt start its not the pull start!!
Old 12-31-2002, 03:57 PM
angrybunnyaudio

just thought i would explain a few things real quick. there are reasons one would want a box start. by using a box start, you are able to shed the pull start completely from your car. this does two things. the weight issue can be very significant in a race. and two, the one way bearing and starter shaft are not 100 percent effecient. they put load (some would say negligible) on the motor. it makes too much sense not to take this into consideration if you are searching for that last little pit of power.
Old 12-31-2002, 04:02 PM
tsim712

Anyone consider the third option. Seems a little lame, but the theory is sound. The cordless drill attachment. The drill could serve double duty in the tool box.
I'm new here so don't slam me too hard .

Here is a couple good pages on all of the starting systems.

http://www.rcnitro.com/articles/system_basics.asp
Old 12-31-2002, 05:45 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Yea! It looks really good.. whats it called.. the Yank eleminator?!
I saw it sell for 25 bucks at a local hobby shop.
-ram
Old 12-31-2002, 06:45 PM
Celly013

Also Missed 1 Minor point about box starters..

You can start your car w/ the body on... Saves you the fuss of fumbling around trying to get pins in and having your engine stalling... Just make sure you have a hole that can allow you to get the glow ignitor in.. which most of already do for air flow...
Old 12-31-2002, 06:48 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Given the advantages.. I'd rather fumble with the pull start and put the frankin in my wallet
If I can pull a 7HP lawn mower.. a .12 shouldnt be THAT much of a problem.. IMHO
-ram
Old 12-31-2002, 06:52 PM
Celly013

Originally posted by Ram Sundaram
Given the advantages.. I'd rather fumble with the pull start and put the frankin in my wallet
If I can pull a 7HP lawn mower.. a .12 shouldnt be THAT much of a problem.. IMHO
-ram
Well, if you ever chop your fingers off using the lawnmower... Atleast now you know you can start your car with a start box... So You have Options..

:thumbup: and you'd have to change your nic to Stumpy :thumbup:
Old 12-31-2002, 06:53 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Right....