Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Lap timer, is it necesary? help...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 12:20 PM
unit11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lap timer, is it necesary? help...

im opening a new off road track, i plan to organize races... i just found out that laptimers/transponders are expensive ($5000 usd)...
can anyone suggest a brand? or any alternative. and where to buy

any other suggestions?
Old 09-17-2006, 12:31 PM
A.J..

Default RE: Lap timer, is it necesary? help...

Here's some for $250 usd. I dont know why the one you looked at was $5000 [X(]!

http://www.revlimiterracing.com/Merc...egory_Code=AAL
Old 09-17-2006, 12:47 PM
unit11

http://shop.amb-it.com/asia/catalog/index.php?cPath=16

the people in HK are offering me the one above, anything like it that you can recommend?
i dont think the software is included with the above package
Old 09-17-2006, 04:06 PM
A.J..

I really dont know much about lap timers. But all I can say is they shouldnt cost $5000. The one I showed you looks good. You might find some other good ones for about the same price.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:37 PM
125cchyperman

To get a good transponder system they do cost a good bit. Transponders are excelent for racing but they can and do mess up. Some times some transponders do not work for some reason's and if your sololy going off the transponder and one or more transponders mess up then you may have some angry racers.

But it does do very well and you only have those problems every once in a blue moon but it does happen. About the only other way is to have scorers. They keep track of the cars and who passes who. But that mean that you must have humans involved and people also mess up to. So as a owner and director of a race track you are going to have problems no matter what way you go.

But I would say go the human way (scorers) and then if there are enough racers and enough races going on then you can decide. If you only have 10 racers show up then it's not worth it. If you have 35 or 40 show up then you might want to consider it as it would make life easier. Plus you can make them buy the transponders or have them rent them. Just get something so if they take off with the transponder and do not give it back. There license does very well for this. As soon as they give the transponder back you give them there license back.

But this is up to you if it's worth it or not.
Old 09-23-2006, 02:29 AM
unit11

just to update, found some "low cost" r/c lap counter systems.. retailing at around us$500 to us$1000. The brands are: robitronic, trakmate, rclapcounter. i'm wondering if there is someone out there who's had some experience with these brands?

www.robitronic-usa.com
www.rclapcounter.com