Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Shortening servo wires

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 09:36 AM
Pritchett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shortening servo wires

I'm looking to shorten the wires that go from my servo to my reciever. it's about 9 inches long and only needs to be 2 or 3.

It appears as though the wires are drimped into the connector. Is there anywhere I can buy these connectors or crimpers?
Old 10-11-2006, 09:47 AM
SManMTB

Default RE: Shortening servo wires

You could also cut the wire and solder it together and put shrink tubing on the splice.

Someone posted a link the the connectors here recently but I don't remember where. The crimp tool is very expensive, at least the tool I have at work for similar connectors. At least $300+.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:45 AM
Pritchett

I was hoping to keep everything as clean looking as possible... the whole reason for shortening the wire.

I guess heat shrink tubing won't be too ugly.

Do you think most hobby shops would have a crimper like that for doing repairs?
Old 10-12-2006, 07:46 AM
Nitro Fumes

You may be able to just open up the servo. Shorten the wires and resolder. In the 70's before we had a simple switch to reverse a servo you had to open them up and reverse the polarity on the servo motor and feedback potentiometer. I did that once and it wasn't hard to do. This would be easier than that. Then you won't have to fool with those connectors.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:28 PM
sleepy23
My Feedback: (1)

http://www.deeteeenterprises.com/NS....ring.Acces.php

guys...Google...nuf said. I bought and use those connectors. works great and looks cleans.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:06 AM
tn rc bug

Wrap the wire around a thin round object (pencil or pen works well). Make sure it is tightly coiled. Add a little heat from a hair dryer (not too much) just enougn to help the wire develop memory.
Otherwise you could neatly fold the wire and contain it with either zip ties or short pieces (1/8" / 3mm) of stretched fuel tubing.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:21 AM
thercracingdude

ORIGINAL: tn rc bug

Wrap the wire around a thin round object (pencil or pen works well). Make sure it is tightly coiled. Add a little heat from a hair dryer (not too much) just enougn to help the wire develop memory.
Otherwise you could neatly fold the wire and contain it with either zip ties or short pieces (1/8" / 3mm) of stretched fuel tubing.
That was going to be my suggestion. Dont cut the wires and dont try to resoldier them. Voids warranty on both parts.