Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

curb strikes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 08:14 PM
carmatic1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default curb strikes?

i keep hearing people talk about trying to avoid the curbs on the streets, its like saying 'dont let the bedbugs bite' before you go to bed... it got me thinking, are there any of you who own cars that you can smash into curbs as much and as hard as you like and they will come out like nothing happened? like not just curbs, but any unpleasant insurmountable solid object that you car might get into contact with...
Old 10-15-2006, 03:07 AM
Gex_61

Default RE: curb strikes?

something slow
Old 10-15-2006, 02:35 PM
Gex_61

This is pretty funny, It's so perfect you would think he edited it somehow. LMAO
It's from 2DMaxLST, hope you don't mind me posting this.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=4251876
Old 10-15-2006, 02:54 PM
125cchyperman

Something going extremely slow. No matter what you have if you hit a curb or somthing else right you will break things. You just cant go ahead and hit things full throttle and expect to drive away. But the best vid I have seen as of yet for the durability of a rc car would have to be the buggy jumping the house vid.

I mean hey it drove away, it looked like something was broke but still it drove away
Old 10-15-2006, 07:55 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I had a Radio Shack RC that I used to run into walls, trees, curbs, etc. at full trigger LOL. I went all of maybe 7MPH into these obstructions.

Anyways, I've hit curbs at full trigger with a Savage when I would miss the ramp I was trying to jump. Most of the time, I came out with bent TVPs that I would have to take off and beat back flat with a hammer (I still have those TVPs on my primary daily basher). I've hit a tree and totalled my Savage from a full speed pass. I had to rebuild my Savage too many times in my opinion. I just did too many stupid things like that.
As far as an RC that can take such licks without breaking anything? They do not exist. Maybe in the future when mankind devlops nanotehnology, a totalled Savage could repair itself by the thousands of nanobots that comprise it (ever see the movie Batteries Not Included? ).
Old 10-15-2006, 08:37 PM
mrjerryk

ORIGINAL: 125cchyperman

Something going extremely slow. No matter what you have if you hit a curb or somthing else right you will break things. You just cant go ahead and hit things full throttle and expect to drive away. But the best vid I have seen as of yet for the durability of a rc car would have to be the buggy jumping the house vid.

I mean hey it drove away, it looked like something was broke but still it drove away
I have seen a vid even better than that. Go over to highoctanehobbies.com and look at their redneck # 8 video. Huge amount of air and the Savage just drives away after doing a couple of victory donuts.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:36 PM
Gex_61

I've seen those before, some of those jumps are awsome.

I just thought the vid above was appropriate 'for the title of the post' and funny. He bounced it 5 feet into the air and didn't check it afterward. I would have run over to give it a hug.

I do agree with 125cchyperman though. You will break anything with the right speed and how you hit it. Some are stronger than others though. I've heard the savage is pretty strong.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:04 PM
ross_jsy

you are joking right...you have that may posts(well its not a sign of how much you know) and you ask one of the most noobtastic questions ever.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:18 PM
carmatic1

ORIGINAL: ross_jsy

you are joking right...you have that may posts(well its not a sign of how much you know) and you ask one of the most noobtastic questions ever.
yup i spew spam all over the forums....

anyway, ive rebuilt my truck from the stock plastic + aluminum parts, to a fully aluminum chassis because one plastic steering hub broke so therefore all the plastic arms and chassis braces and shock towers will break too[&o]... and ended up tweaking and snapping all my aluminum bits ,and its so heavy it made my motor and esc overheat, and stripped my gears... so now im trying out a plastic + cf/graphite combo (the package says graphite but it looks like cf), and im hoping that the plastic will bounce back instead of bending permenantly, the cf will take away enough weight to soften the impacts as well as rubbering out some of the shocks, unlike aluminum which pass the shock directly to whatever thats directly attached to it... in fact what got this into my mind in the first place was something in that thread gex 61 linked to : http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=4254666 , he made it sound like there is a way to make your truck survive crashes better by making it lighter...
Old 10-16-2006, 11:41 PM
Gex_61

It definatly helps. plastic for bashing, graphite for racing. Adding all the alum. will weigh your cars down.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:17 AM
thercracingdude

Go hit a curb with your full size car and tell me how it holds up. Then find a tree, wall, house, park bench or any other solid object and run your car/truck full speed into it and let me know how it fairs (and you!).[X(] (make sure you take pictures and videos of this for Utube!)

I guess you guys really expect a lot out of plastic and aluminum! remeber Sir Issac Newtons law of force equation "F = m * a"

No one can get around the physics of a curb strike!!!!!
Old 10-17-2006, 01:31 AM
Gex_61

ORIGINAL: Gex_61

It definatly helps. plastic for bashing, graphite for racing. Adding all the alum. will weigh your cars down.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:31 PM
carmatic1

yeah besides, the thing about scaling down is that some things remain constant while other things change... for example you dont see many 1:1 cars go into a cartwheel on a perfectly flat surface and come out unscathed

i thought the point of having rc cars is to do stuff that real cars cant do, anyway

and yeah, force = mass x acceleration , or decceleration as the case may be... well the force is definitely gonna go down, because the mass is lower compared to aluminum, and the decceleration is going to be less because plastic flexes, and so does this graphite/cf material i installed, plus its probably got alot of other mechanical quantities which few of us are remotely familiar with like shock stresses etc... the question is if the materials themselves will stand up to that force that they will experience in the event of a curb strike...
Old 10-17-2006, 08:28 PM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

I hit a lot of solid stuff with my CEN genesis and RARELY break anything. Most of the time, wtih the 7.5 inch wheels it just rolls over curbs.

When I do hit big trees and stuff, The only thing I ever break is the odd A arm. And very few at that.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:12 PM
carmatic1

what setup do you have, at least some plastic parts i assume?

it has come to the point where i judge how fast my truck goes not by a radar gun or a lap timer, but by how far it bounces off whatever it crashed into...