Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Nitro

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 01:38 AM
rushinevo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro

Hello,I have a very general question. What fuel and why are you guys using out there. I hear good and bad things but i am using backyard bashier right now but going to use blue thunder20%. Label does read motor runs cooler. But whats your opion? BTW if this does help I am running a os .18 cvr
Old 10-15-2006, 09:26 AM
broncobill
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: Nitro

When I run one of my nitros, I us O'Donnells 30% racing fuel. I burn that in a CV-RX 18 and a Sirio XL 27 Monster HP. That is the only fuel I have ever used.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:13 AM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: broncobill

When I run one of my nitros, I us O'Donnells 30% racing fuel. I burn that in a CV-RX 18 and a Sirio XL 27 Monster HP. That is the only fuel I have ever used.
Sirio .27XL... Now that's a high dollar engine.

Anyways, I used Wildcat 20% and Rocket Science 20% but currently use Blue Thunder 20%. I have an OS .18TZ, STS D28M, and 3 NS K4.6 engines. I noticed that my engines are harder to start and warm up on Rocket Science. Wildcat and Blue Thunder are cheaper blends, but since I only bash, I'm not picky about the fuel. If I were to race, I would go back to Rocket Science since that blend is meant more for racers. I would also try O'Donnels and Byrons as well.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:47 AM
125cchyperman

ORIGINAL: rushinevo

going to use blue thunder20%. Label does read motor runs cooler. But whats your opion? BTW if this does help I am running a os .18 cvr
Blue thunder does say this and for that exact reason so people buy it. Personally I used blue thunder once apon a time and thought it was great as that was the only fuel I had used til that point. But always had problems but thought it was just me. I then one day bought my xxx-nt and with the racing and everything I was going to be doing I then switched to a different fuel. Never had a problem again and will never switch back.

Personally I use O'Donell 20%race blend and am happy with it. Much more power and no problems.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:57 AM
Cman91

i use blue thunder seems to word ok for my tmaxx 3.3 but i guess thats just me idk i might try that O,Donell see how it works
Old 10-15-2006, 03:19 PM
razor 2.o

i use tornado16%
good fuel never had probs with it
Old 10-15-2006, 06:37 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life
My Feedback: (34)

I usually run monster horsepower in my .18, but I jus switched to blue thunder and I regret it...this stuff is giving me a bad first impression.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:53 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Backyard Basher is a high oil content fuel and is not a good idea! I use O’Donnell 20% race blend after trying several others that I did not like. Here is a cut and past why to much oil is not good.

Why 8% to 12% Oil

Using high oil content fuels in gas car engines won't provide improved engine life, as some would expect. Through extensive testing we've discovered the point of diminishing return as far as oil content to engine life is actually around 8% for most car engines. In other words any more oil than 8% in the fuel does noting to improve the life of a car engine. In fact the secondary effects of high oil content fuels can actually cause engine damage by encouraging over lean runs. Here's how.

Using high oil content fuel causes a car engine to be unresponsive during acceleration acting as if the engine were running rich. Typically when using high oil content fuel, in order to get crisp acceleration and response, an engine will need to be adjusted overly lean. In addition the high oil content prevents lean bog when an engine is over-leaned thus allowing the engine to run at this lean setting without the customary telltale lean bog warning letting you know the engine is overheating.

In summary, high oil content fuels don't give added protection. The point of diminishing return from a protection standpoint in a gas car application is about 8% oil depending on the oil type and engine. Anymore oil than this doesn't offer added protection and has potential secondary effects that reduce performance and can actually cause you to over lean your engine in an attempt to get crisp throttle response and acceleration.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:22 PM
Evader ---> MGT

I have used blue thunder, top fuel (terrible) and o'donnel and like the o'donnel the best. It's the worst as far as smoke in the eyes goes, IDK, but it has the best performance.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:42 PM
ross_jsy

also the higher oil content kills owb. its like the terminator to them. theres a guy on the island i live on who sells rc plane fuel to newbs for a bargain price(£1 per GALLON CHEAPER WOW[X(]) and its killed soo many engines you would belive it. currently there is a jato and t-maxx sitting in the shop because of the fuel.

i run o'donnels 20% and love it. i used to run ble thunder and never had a prob but we now stock o'donnels and i prefer it anyway. it just smelsl better and the cars run nicer