Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

New fuel=horrible!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 04:46 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life
My Feedback: (34)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New fuel=horrible!?

Well, I cleaned my engine, cleaned and relubed the filter, rebuilt the clutch, installed a new glow plug(correct heat) and set the needles back to factory, and in the moment was eager to run my rebuilt truck so I headed down to the lhs. They didn't have my usual fuel(monster horsepower) in anything besides 10%, so I bought blue thunder 20% and am very dissapointed and hope there's something I can do. It seems like it's overheating or something. About 5 mins into the run, if I floor it, and when it shifts it will studder and stall. My needles are not the problem as I tried numerous rich and lean settings without any posotive affect. Is there any special procudure I should do before switching fuels? If it's not the fuel, what do you suppose it is? Because right now I'm concluding that I just wasted 15 bucks on blue thunder. Help is highly appreciated.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:03 PM
Rs43EVOman

Default RE: New fuel=horrible!?

Well, if you were running 20% before theres no way that should be happening. Honestly all the brand name fuels are preatty equal. yah some might give you a slight edge, but really for bashing i use what ever my LHs has as long as its 20%. Check for air leaks, make sure your exhaust is all correct, and check your fuel lines too. IF none of these finds your answere it's probably your tuning.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:23 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life

Well it aint my tuning lol. I'll clean the lines and tank openings tonight with the air compressor and I'll check my exhaust and prolly ripa apart the whole engine again...I dunno.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:42 PM
Seek and Destroy

When I used to have my t-maxx, I ran blue thunder 20%. It worked fine for me, but both times I had the fuel I dropped somethingg into the bottle.[:@] The first thing was the red cap, and then on my second gallon, one of the caps on the fule bottles fell in tho hole. Both on accident. Thats the only fuel I have ever tried. I was looking at trying byron 20% or trinity monster horsepower 20%. Don't know yet....
Old 10-16-2006, 05:42 PM
bozla

Check the screws around the carburettor. Make sure their tight and not missing. You can get air leaks there.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:51 PM
pacotaco

i had that same problem and it just need tuning
Old 10-16-2006, 07:50 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life

Dude, it's not the tuning for ******* sake! I know how to tune an engine well and I have an extremely reliable o.s. which holds tune like no tomorrow. Well, I have the engine apart to bare bones, everything is dissambled besides the crankshaft assembly. I notice that I'm getting an orange tinto on some of the crankshaft which indicates surface rust...I knew I was gonna regret not using after run oil. Oh well, it's nothing severe, I'll start using it from now on. I oiled all the bearings/shafts, lubed all the o-rings in the carb, cleaned the needles, tightened everything on the carb, cleaned the piston , sleeve, and engine head and on reassembly will lube all the o-rings. While the engine is apart should I do anything else? I'm kinda thinking it's old fuel though. I've seen stuff at my lhs with dust on it including some fuel which can't be good. I know once it's open it's good for over a month if stored properly, but what about closed?
Old 10-17-2006, 12:00 PM
Philster

Another dissatisifed Blue Thunder user. I'd suck up the 15 bucks and get rid of it.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:20 PM
125cchyperman

That fuel theory is off. I used fuel that was over 5 years old and all I did was just swirl the fuel around in the bottle like you would when you mix 2 stroke oil with gasoline for the larger 2 strokes. It did seperate a little but after doing that it looked fine and I ran it and it ran perfectly fine. So that is just a myth for the most part.

But yes Blue thunder is crappy (in my eyes) and I will never ever return to using that fuel. Had to many problem but just played it off as me being not good at tuning or something I did. After changing fuels it was like magic, All the problems went away and I am glad I switched fuels. Return to the fuel that you used previously and I bet you will be good. Now there is a chance there is something wrong as there could always be a problem so I'm not 100% saying that it's the fuel.

But it does sound like blue thunders regular crap and I would try the other fuel. But yes I do suggest using AFO as this helps a lot in the longevity of your enigne.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:49 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Why when talking fuel every one neglects to say what formula or blend as this has a lot to do with helping people out! Most brands have more then one and many formulas or blends have way too much oil content but they’re other formulas and blends are fine! We are not talking nitro content!
Example
O’Donnell makes a RTR and a RACE blend
Sidewinder makes Back Yard Basher, Race and Pro blends.
I know Blue Thunder makes I thing 3 what they call formulas.
Do not just tell what brand need to know what formula or blend. The more information some on seeking help gives helps other to help them better!

High oil content fuel is not good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do not like Blue Thunder my self and my favorite to this point is O’Donnell Race blend.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:21 PM
Rs43EVOman

yah, but trhres no wayb that the fuel would make the engine not run. You can like oine fuel a little more then the other, but thre all gonna make your engine run.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:56 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life

ORIGINAL: Rs43EVOman

yah, but trhres no wayb that the fuel would make the engine not run. You can like oine fuel a little more then the other, but thre all gonna make your engine run.
Have a little booze? lol
Old 10-17-2006, 07:49 PM
pacotaco

white lightning is good
Old 10-17-2006, 08:22 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I gotta say this, I went from the racing blue thunder blend which for me was super easy to tune and kept the temps in good check and i really liked it. (my experience) I've since went to the sport fuel blue thunder same % and don't like it as well as the race blend. When Im done Im going to try Odonnels.

Good luck to ya
Old 10-17-2006, 09:21 PM
FoamyVictim

The one who mentioned oil content is probably right. Too much oil makes motors run like crap. Try something different with less oil, as in 10% or less. I prefer 8% for all my racing needs, on and off road.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:06 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Rs43EVOman

Read and be enlightened! All so try spell check!

Why 8% to 12% Oil

Using high oil content fuels gas car engines won't provide improved engine life, as some would expect. Through extensive testing we've discovered the point of diminishing return as far as oil content to engine life is actually around 8% for most car engines. In other words any more oil than 8% in the fuel does noting to improve the life of a car engine. In fact the secondary effects of high oil content fuels can actually cause engine damage by encouraging over lean runs. Here's how.

Using high oil content fuel causes a car engine to be unresponsive during acceleration acting as if the engine were running rich. Typically when using high oil content fuel, in order to get crisp acceleration and response, an engine will need to be adjusted overly lean. In addition the high oil content prevents lean bog when an engine is over-leaned thus allowing the engine to run at this lean setting without the customary telltale lean bog warning letting you know the engine is overheating.

In summary, high oil content fuels don't give added protection. The point of diminishing return from a protection standpoint in a gas car application is about 8% oil depending on the oil type and engine. Anymore oil than this doesn't offer added protection and has potential secondary effects that reduce performance and can actually cause you to over lean your engine in an attempt to get crisp throttle response and acceleration.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:50 AM
osteologation

I dont know, Ive switched brands and with nitro and oil content being equal I have to change the tune. Ive heard a lot of mixed reviews on blue thunder. i switched one time to red alert when my LHS was out of trinity and byrons and my engine didnt like it.