Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

showroom cleaning job

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 02:53 AM
mcstarr25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default showroom cleaning job

looking through the user galleries, i some really nice rides. And ultra clean, with signs of wear so you know it's not new

ive used mostly on my 10th scales buggy blast, rubbing alkie and rags. but blast gets pricey

me and my buddy wanna try to get our 8th scale trucks into a mag, but they are so caked with mud, crime, even after a decent cleaning with air compressor, solvent..

i hear some people hose them down with water??

a bit worried to do that, if thats the technique whats advice on doing it proper so i dont screw stuff up
Old 10-20-2006, 04:47 AM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: showroom cleaning job

Here is how I clean my 1/8th.

First remove the body, engine, radio tray, fuel tank, wheels, and wing. You may want to remove the centre diff to avoid getting the brake pads contaminated (its only 4 screws). Then drown the car with degreaser while trying to avoid the bearings if you can. Spray the car down with water. Usually once is enough but you may need to do it twice. Then blow off the excess water with compressed air. Cover the car in WD-40, this is to remove any remaining water. Blow off the car again and use a rag to clean any leftovers. You will need to do the other parts by hand. If you want you can inject a drop or two of oil into the bearings.
Pretty much everyone at my club washes their cars in a similar manner. The whole job takes about an hour and the car will look like new afterwards.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:10 AM
razor 2.o

now i shall tell you how can you clean your car in a desent way
remove the engine and all elctronics then put it in a dish washer this might work but i think metal parts will rust
Old 10-20-2006, 11:37 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Question how do you get the oil in the bearings if they are sealed? I understand with shielded it would not be a big problem. With sealed you should not have to worry too much about anything getting in our out unless the seals are bad. Just look at the bearings on cars and motorcycles that go through rain, mud, salt, snow and so on and they hold up well.

I agree the only way to get a RC vehicle really clean you have to disable it. I do this a couple times a year when I do a major service on them. But what I use in-between is I mist it with Wild Cat X-trem cleaner and blow off with compressed air. I do this after each day at the track.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXWC47&P=ML
Old 10-20-2006, 12:32 PM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: razor 2.o

now i shall tell you how can you clean your car in a desent way
remove the engine and all elctronics then put it in a dish washer this might work but i think metal parts will rust
Thats what I do, just make sure you are using sealed bearings and your diffs are sealed.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:47 PM
millerracer

I have an HPI and after a few runs, I'll completely dissasemble the car and go over the parts, replace parts or screws as needed and clean the car in sections.

But I'm meticulous and comparing the RC car to the real cars I do this to (or my team has to do) it is a relatively easy job
Old 10-22-2006, 07:35 PM
mcstarr25

cool thanks

sounds like a pain, but will be worth it.

usually i use the air compressor and a spray bottle full of denetured rubbing alchol that wont rust stuff, and rags after normal runs

and buggy blast on gears and motor areas

we dismantled them and cleaned everthing, looks sick now