Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Need help identifying car...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 09:03 AM
payna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help identifying car...

Hi all, i recently purchased a car off ebay, it was advertised as an hpi rs4 nitro. But, searching on the net for this leads me to belive that this is not the case.
here are two pictures of the car...

has anybody got an idea? it does have an hpi engine although im not sure what. the sticker on the pull star reads 'hpi 12 nitrostar'

thanks in advance, any help is much appreciated

andrew
Old 10-22-2006, 12:25 PM
silent_echo

Default RE: Need help identifying car...

looks like an old edition of the super nitro ill check teh site and report back if it is what i think it is
Old 10-22-2006, 12:28 PM
silent_echo

http://www.hpieurope.com/kit-info.ph...No=484&lang=en

yup thats your car. its a discontinued model of the super nitro, parts might be a bit hard to find, so browse ebay. even the most recent super nitro has been distoninued if im not mistaken but some places might still carry parts and they might be interchangeable. hope this helps
Old 10-22-2006, 12:35 PM
payna

Thanks silent,

I thought as much - but as im pretty new to this, the purple anodised chasis threw me and i couldnt find any pictures with one the same as mine. but that would explain this, as im aware the newr cars have the anodised parts.

I dont suppose you would have an idea what the engine would be?

thanks once again!

Andrew
Old 10-22-2006, 12:50 PM
silent_echo

the engine is exactly as it reads. its an hpi nitrostar .12 first gen motor (it has the squareish heatsink) if it still has good compression and runs ok you might as well use it, but soon youll need a new one. for such a big car you should look at a .18 or .15engine

unfortuneately, the engine is so old i cant even give you a link to it >.<
Old 10-22-2006, 12:57 PM
payna

Excelent. thanks for the info!

The engine seems ok, although it does cut out after its been running a while when applying full throttle. i will deffinatley be looking into a new motor soon though.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:12 PM
silent_echo

that may be fixed with jsut tuning, does it sound like the engine is starving for air/fuel or is it like bogging out sounds like its drowning?
Old 10-22-2006, 01:24 PM
payna

i would say that it is starved of fuel/air ...its seems to splutter and then stop alltogether. any advice on this?
Old 10-22-2006, 01:33 PM
silent_echo

well that engine has a single tuning needle, as opposed to 2 or 3 needles on todays engines, but how you can fix that is to turn in the needle(its the little metal thing sticking out of the carb) 8th yurns counter clockwise, that wiill richen the mixtuire (more fuel and less air) which is what the engine sounds like it needs. turning the needle clockwise (lean) will give the engine more air and less fuel, running too rick will never hurt your engine, it might perform as well but it wont hurt it, but running it to lean will, so if your ever in doubt of your tuning, richen it a bit and go from there. play with the tuning until it has good acceleration off the line and wont bog, and has a nice trail of smoke at full throttle
Old 11-16-2006, 07:58 AM
PandaBear

ORIGINAL: payna

Hi all, i recently purchased a car off ebay, it was advertised as an hpi rs4 nitro. But, searching on the net for this leads me to belive that this is not the case.
Andrew:-

what you have there is a genuine original HPI Nitro RS4, the very 1st generation car circa 1998.

It is a very close cousin to the electric RS4 Pro and RS4 Sport, very similar to the Nitro RS4 2. (The NRS4 3 that came later was totally redesigned, not much shared from its older brothers.)

NitroStar 12 is the original kit engine, usually pretty long lived. However every one that I've experienced all leak oil from the front bearing - runs ok, just makes a huge mess.

It is not the "Super" Nitro RS4 which is a bigger superTen size and is larger again. Your car will take any 200mm shell made by HPI, the Supers are 260mm I think.

If you see any similar looking chassis with a purple chassis, it will be either the later Nitro RS4 2 or its brother the Nitro RS4 Racer. Racer is usually spotted by its stock red & white shock springs and std universal shafts all round; Racer kit didn't come with any engine or bodyshell.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:57 AM
payna

Thanks for that pandabear, after a bit of tinkering the car seems to be running fine at the moment, using 20% nitro. also just purchased a new body, wheels tyres etc.....

new picture

Thanks for the help too guys, much appreciated! - il still be knocking around on here too as its a cool site!

Andrew [8D]