Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Nitro Gas

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 02:51 AM
RCar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro Gas

I am convinced that the nitro gas I buy for my RC car is made right here and someone is just mixing 2-3 kinds of liquid to create it. It has no brand, and it’s sold in cheap, plastic bottles.

What ingredients is the nitro gas compiled from, and how can I make my own?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70541.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	546370  
Old 10-23-2006, 03:12 AM
Nathan9492

Default RE: Nitro Gas

nitromethane,nitro and oil's , simple as that, and much cheaper if u make it urself
Old 10-23-2006, 03:17 AM
125cchyperman

Well the fuel consist's of several thing's. Methanol alcohol, nitromethane and oil's. The alcohol and nitromethane remain constant's but the oil can vary a lot. It's 2 stroke oil but some use castor oil and some use synthetic oil's in there fuel and some use both. Each company add's what it think's are the best ingredent's would be and goes from there.

Yes it does look like a homebrewed fuel as there is no marking of any kind beside's the nitro content. Yes you can make your own fuel and save yourself a lot of money, at least we could I dont know how much fuel cost over there for you guy's. But you may find it a little hard to get nitromethane but the other two would be pretty easy to get your hand's on, since there very common upon the racing community. But I have never seen green fuel before and that look's a little weird to me.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:21 AM
RCar

Ok, so I need nitromethane,nitro and oil's. Do you know in what quantities do I mix these three?
Old 10-23-2006, 03:51 AM
Nathan9492

i will try to find a mixing calculator thing for ya
Old 10-23-2006, 03:55 AM
Nathan9492

ok here we go mate, read that and scroll to the bottom and clik on add fuell and oil and u type in how much fuel u wanna make, what % of nitro etc, and it will tell u how much oil and alcohol and nitro to put in, hope this has helped mate, nathan [link]http://www.nitrorc.com/default2.asp?Introduction=http://www.nitrorc.com/fuelws/[/link]
Old 10-23-2006, 04:02 AM
125cchyperman

Nitro and nitromethane is the same thing, you need alcohol, nitromethane and oil(s). If you just run nitromethane and oil you will blow your engine up unless you run like 40% oil content. It's not all that hard to go.

It's not all that hard to do, it should be pretty easy to do but as I said earlier getting a hold on nitromethane might be a little hard.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:48 AM
RCar

And you're right! I've already been to 2 gas stations, they, of course, don't have it, and I've been to a pharmacist, he said he'll look it up for me.

Let's say that I don't want any nitro in my gas. 15% that I already use it not that much anyway. Can I just mix alcohol and oil, and have a 0% gas for my rc car?
Old 10-23-2006, 07:43 AM
125cchyperman

Yes your able to do that but you will not have the power that you did. That 15% content makes a big difference if you want to believe, that 15% makes a bigger difference then what you think. But yes you can do that, as some people already do that and I was thinking of doing this myself just to bash around and safe money.

But yes you are able to do that, but if you still want to search for nitro go to people that race, any type of racing and ask them, if they dont have it they will may have something that will work just as good. There a thing called propylene that works very well also a lot of race teams have this hanging around it's in a liquid form and does add power but not as much as the nitro will.

But any high performance place or places that deal with racing might have it or could get it for you. You wont find nitromethane at gas stations or at the pharamacy.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:28 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rcar, is there any drag racing going on in Cyprus? If so, get yourself to the dragstrip and ask the drivers where they buy their nitromethane from. If not, try a go-kart track. They may not be as likely to use nitro, but they will probably be able to help you find some good Klotz or other racing 2-stroke oil.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:34 PM
Roscco

ORIGINAL: harawong

nitromethane,nitro and oil's , simple as that, and much cheaper if u make it urself
From my understanding (and i have been known to be wrong), this statement is only true if your making it in fairly large volumes. Example being it's more cost effective to make 10litres of your own than it is to buy, but it's cheaper to buy 1litre than it is to make.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:35 PM
125cchyperman

ORIGINAL: Roscco

From my understanding (and i have been known to be wrong), this statement is only true if your making it in fairly large volumes. Example being it's more cost effective to make 10litres of your own than it is to buy, but it's cheaper to buy 1litre than it is to make.
This is not true. I did the calculations for another thread a little while ago. A gallon of nitromethane cost $44 a gallon. I know for 5 gallons of alcohol and a 30oz of klotz oil cost's $23.

Thats $67 dollars for more then 5 gallons of 20% fuel. The fuel I get O'Donell 20% racing blend cost me around $25 a gallon. Now 5 gallons of this would cost you about $125 (gotta add tax in there to but for this application to keep it easy I wont). Thats $58 in saving for just a little over 5 gallons of fuel that has the same nitro percentage. You can easily save money if you mix your own blend. I have been thinking about it for quite a while now and am seriously thinking about doing this. I mean $58 to me is a lot of money to save just to mix my own fuel. So you can see that you do not need to have a huge batch of fuel just sitting around, as 5 gallons of fuel is easy to go through. Plus you can sell it to bashers and save them money and just mark in up enough for you to make money. Hey Now that I think about it I might be going in the fuel business.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:13 AM
**MilkMachine**

Something about making your own fuel just seems... so... dangerous. lol, i wish i could do this but it seems very complicating.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:41 AM
125cchyperman

It's no more dangerous then mixing the fuel for our race car (another form of racing where in) or putting fuel in your car, or mixing the fuel for your 2 stroke dirt bike, or you weed wacker (aka weed eater) well you get the idea. All you have to do is use your head, dont be stupid and make some simple calculations. Very simple calculations or you could use the link above that harawang gave to do the calculations for you.

Believe me it's not all that difficult to do, just simple calculations along with using your head (gotta factor in the safety aspect) and you should be good. Plus I wanted to add to my post above I used that you could use 5 gallons but you can buy 1 gallon of alcohol or as much as you think you might use for the next month or two or like I said buy 5 gallons make the fuel then sell 3 gallons at a profit.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:48 PM
rapsucks_07

i would love to make some fuel too but i think i would go trough alot of engines i use my rc once a week or when ever i have free time to save fuel $30 for a gallon makes me think twice about using it