Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

What am I looking for in an air compressor to clean my RC vehicles?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

What am I looking for in an air compressor to clean my RC vehicles?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 10:21 AM
goulyssis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What am I looking for in an air compressor to clean my RC vehicles?

Seems like an air compressor is a vervesitile piece of equipment if you are serious about RC. I am going to add one to my RC garage. What should I be looking for? I don't want to spend loads of cash on it just enough to get one that is suted for RCing. Any help would be great!
Old 10-25-2006, 11:38 AM
Taffey

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What am I looking for in an air compressor to clean my RC vehicles?

I just bought an air compressor a couple of weeks ago, and I love it! The model I chose is a Husky Y1000. It is available at Home Depot here in the states, and it retails for $99 USD. Since I will mostly be using this for RC stuff and small projects around the house, I didn't need much more than the 1.75 gal capacity that this model has. Also, it is self-contained (with a compartment for accessories), small, and it has wheels so it is easy to drag around.

The main thing to look for in an air compressor is the size of the tank. 1.75 gal is relatively small, which simply means that the compressor will need to top itself off more often. 4 gal capacity models start at around $150 USD, and for $200 USD you can get a pretty nice setup that is just about good enough for heavy construction work (nail guns, etc). Another thing to look at is the maximum pressure the compressor can produce. The Y1000 is well over 100 psi, which is plenty for just about anything you'll need it for. You only need about 40 psi when using a blow gun to clean your RC car/truck, and it does a fantastic job. Way better than the canned air available at office supply stores. Most pneumatic tools (grinders, brad guns) operate at around 50 to 80 psi from what I've seen.

For my purposes, though, a smaller compressor is better. I could theoretically even drag it with me to the track if I felt so inclined. I'm just now starting to look into getting it set up to do a little airbrushing.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:27 PM
slink1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple years ago when my airbrush compressor died I ended up buying a very small compressor at lowes for 65.00. I think the brand was task force.I used my big compressor for airbrushing a couple bodies but it was just too loud.The one I got at lowes was very small and quiet.Turns out it has been a great compressor not much louder than my airbrush compressor was but more power & more flexible.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:01 PM
KillerKiwi
Banned

I use the air compressor in my step dad's wood shop. It's huge and the nozzle can blow it's self out of you hands. My RC car looks brand new every time I clean it.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:01 PM
secretsg

If you just need one to clean then something from home depot, sears etc would work.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:04 PM
etc1006

You can even find ones used in your local paper. I've got a craftsman 30 gal I bought from a coworker years ago... Oiless compressor so its a bit noisy. The only thing I had to do to it was this past summer the fan on the end of the crankshaft disintegrated. $12 later at the Sears parts store it was all better. I'm thinking about putting it under the porch and when I want to use it just run my hose into the work area I set up in the basement.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:50 PM
Seek and Destroy

I use a big 60 gallon one that we use on real cars. It cleans them off reallllllllly good. I don't need anything nearly that big, I just had it around and it works. It's really loud though.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:15 AM
dvsrc

this is quiet and works well, $80.00 Sears has them.

Old 10-28-2006, 08:42 AM
goulyssis

Thanks guys, aside from using it for my RCs, I am also the do-it-yourself type person so it would be smart on my part, to get one that can use a brad nailer, airbrush, etc. I just want to be safe and get one that I can add parts to in the future.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:58 AM
mbxed

The size of the tank is important and the CFM is important. You need to look at the tools you will be likely to use. Quarter inch drive air wrench. Nail gun. Angle grinder. Air brush.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:42 PM
thedub88

if you want to use a airbrush you need a compressor with a large tank or you will get flutter. the one dvsrc suggested will not be good for a airbrush or spray gun. you need 25 galons or higher
Old 10-29-2006, 10:56 AM
goulyssis

Most likely I will just be using a nailer then. If an airbrush is going to require a large gallon tank, I can do without it.