Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Watch out cannot get replacement parts for the Spektrum radio

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Watch out cannot get replacement parts for the Spektrum radio

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 04:35 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Watch out cannot get replacement parts for the Spektrum radio

I got something on the protective lens over the screen on my Spektrum DX3 which makes it hard to see the screen so I emailed the only contact information to see about getting a new one. I had the lens off seeing if I could clean it. To take it off you do not even have to take the radio apart. I was told the only way to get a new one was to send in the radio and let them replace it. Well first I cannot be with out my radio that long and second I can replace it my self. I am sure they will not cover it under warranty and would charge me. Below is a copy of the emails I sent and received. I will be filling complaints with the BBB, Governors office of consumer affairs and the attorney generals office.

My first email
Need a new lens for the display on my DX3. How much are they
with
> shipping and do you have them in stock.
> Thanks
> Jeff
> Macon, GA

First reply

Jeff, thank you for the email. You will have to send it in for
service.
> That is a service only item.
>
> Please send your DX3 (along with a copy of your sales receipt
if this
> is a warranty issue) to:
>
> Horizon Service
> Attn:SPM Service Dept.
> 4105 Fieldstone Rd.
> Champaign, IL 61822
>
> Also include a note with your name, address, daytime contact
number
> and a description of how the product failed and/or what you
would like

> done to the item. You may also simply print and fill out our
Service
> & Repair Center Checklist found here:
>
> http://www.horizonhobby.com/Content/...terchecklist.p
> df
>
>
> **ALWAYS RETAIN TRACKING INFORMATION FOR YOUR RECORDS**
>
> I hope you find this information useful. If you have any
further
> questions, please reply to this email or give us a call at
877-504-0233.
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew
> Product Support Team Member
> Horizon Hobby Distributors
> 4105 Fieldstone Rd.
> Champaign, IL 61822
> 877-504-0233
> [email protected]

My reply
Hello,
Are you saying you will not sell me the part? I can replace it
my self
so please just give me a price. I talk very highly of Spektrum
on the 10
of thousands of post I have on many RC forms please do not
change my
mind and make me take other measures.
Thanks
Jeff

There reply
Jeff, thank you for the reply. Unfortunately when it comes to
radio
equipment there are no stock parts for sale. They all go
through our
service center for repair. I Again apologize for the
inconvenience.

I hope you find this information useful. If you should have
any further
questions, please reply to this email or give us a call at
1-877-504-0233.

Thanks,
Andrew
Product Support Team Member
Horizon Hobby Distributors
4105 Fieldstone Road
Champaign, IL 61822
877-504-0233
[email protected]
Old 10-25-2006, 06:43 PM
RCOldGuy

Default RE: Watch out cannot get replacement parts for the Spektrum radio

Ron, just send your radio to them. You screwed it up.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:52 PM
46u

I do not know what this has to do with wanting to buy a part and them telling me they will not sell me the part? I am not looking for a warranty I just want to buy a part.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:54 PM
Dudelive

Seems as the bad part will be when you send them the radio they will diagnose it and then tell you that you owe them for diagnosis fee because it is NOT covered under their warranty.

This may just be one of those times when you have to go to the local hobby store for help, if they are nice. Your other choice will be to use the phone and explain in person (when you finally get through) what it is you are looking and the item you need to buy. .GoodLuck

Thanks
Dudelive
Old 10-25-2006, 09:21 PM
hands without shadows

Omg, please dont tell me you mean the little rubber screen protector that comes on everything with screens nowadays got dirty!!!!! Go to the Dollar store, you can get 4 sheets of it for 99 cents.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:26 PM
46u

I did call and that did not do any good as I was told the same thing as in the email. I guess if you lose or break the battery cover you would have to send your radio in for that as well. The part I need just pops off and back on again. I all ready had it off trying to clean it. Shipping there and back would cost probably 10 times what the part I need cost then they would want me to pay for them to pop it off and back on I am sure. I know one thing I have all ways talked highly of Spektrum and was planning on buying another one but now I will look elsewhere. They better watch out as many other manufactures are coming out with similar technology and 2.4GHz. I have a complaint ready to mail to the Attorney generals office of Illinois, filed a complaint with the BBB and Federal trade commission online all ready. They will lose more time replying to them then if they would have just sold me the part. Sorry I am from the old school where service means everything!
Old 10-25-2006, 09:31 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: hands without shadows

Omg, please dont tell me you mean the little rubber screen protector that comes on everything with screens nowadays got dirty!!!!! Go to the Dollar store, you can get 4 sheets of it for 99 cents.
No it is not that! No it’s not the protective film it is the plastic lens that covers the screen!
Old 10-25-2006, 09:33 PM
hands without shadows

Personally I think your going overboard [sm=tongue_smile.gif]
Old 10-25-2006, 09:36 PM
nayslayer

Sorry your not getting the results you desire. Unfortunatly you can't always get what you want, and, it doesn't seem like they are being that unreasonable. If you don't want to send it back for repair, live with it. It appears as if they have a solution for you, don't act so spoiled
Old 10-25-2006, 09:36 PM
46u

Frankly I do not care what you think! [sm=lol.gif]
Old 10-25-2006, 10:02 PM
125cchyperman

Come on guys so your saying if this happened to you that you wouldn't be saying the same thing. The part he needs is probably a dollar or two. But for him to send in his radio, pay for the shipping to and from, pay, pay for insurance and the tracking number. Then they receive the transmitter, you have to pay them to look at it for a whole minute which they will charge you for a half an hour for, charge you the item that is broken then you have to pay for another tracking number and more insurance then they send it back to you 2 or 3 weeks later. It will cost him probably 1,000% (which would be $20 if the part cost him $2) or more to do it that way then if he just simple bought the dang thing and replaced it himself.

Plus it takes a heck of a lot less time to do it that way also. One question for you guys who are bashing him--If you guys had to take your rc in to the LHS because they wont sell you a a-arm or a shock tower (even though it's very easy to do yourself) you would take it in and not complain at all. I know that 98% of you guys would complain about that and thats absolutely no different then what he's going through right now. I know that I wont take my rc to the LHS to fix a shock tower especially when it would cost me $11 an hour to fix If I could just buy the a-arm and replace it myself. I don't think you guys who are bashing him have thought this through thoroughly enough.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:14 PM
46u

Thank you glade to see someone with common sense. The biggest problem is the down time as I race just about every weekend. A good responsible company would do all they can to satisfy a customer particularly over something like this. I was planning on buying another radio from them but guess what they lost a sale over a $2 part now how smart is that! Like I said I am from the old school back in the day when companies new what service was. This is one of the problems this day and age I am sorry to say.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:14 PM
nayslayer

im not really trying to bash him, but it's only a cosmetic issue. I believe it was purchased in good condition. Unfortunatly all things don't always stay new. I deal with computers all day, and have many issues with customer service. I wish many pc companies would be as easy as spektrum has been.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:19 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: nayslayer

im not really trying to bash him, but it's only a cosmetic issue. I believe it was purchased in good condition. Unfortunatly all things don't always stay new. I deal with computers all day, and have many issues with customer service. I wish many pc companies would be as easy as spektrum has been.

You do not even understand the situation IT IS NOT JUST COSMETIC it makes it hard to read the screen! Wait until you need something like a battery cover or an antenna and they tell you to send it in lets see what you have to say!
Old 10-26-2006, 07:46 AM
bigbadbowtie

Im agreeing with you 46.... sounds like a ploy to get more cash out of ya. If you can't get one, you may have to search ebay for the original JR XR2 and pick it up for parts. I believe they are the same case.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:42 AM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not surprised. Go buy a Futaba, a Hitec, an Airtronics, and a JR, then call each of them and try to get the same correct part sent to you for each. It's probably NOT going to happen. "User accessible" parts designed to be removed regularly, such as antennae and battery covers, are different. Manufacturers do NOT want to assume liability for the end user of their products making any repairs or modifications done without their supervision and approval. In today's litigious society, it is an unfortunate fact of daily life. I had a similar circumstance with my last cell phone. The clear plastic cover over the external LCD cracked making it hard to read, but still functional. I called the cellphone company, who gave me a number for the manufacturer, who gave me essentially the same line you got--send it in and we'll fix it, sorry we can't send you one, even though it is just a self adhesive sheet. I wouldn't expect anything different though, especially with radio transmitting devices, where a potential interference issue could result in a lawsuit. And yes, I understand that you are not doing anything that might change the RF deck, but that is an assumption the manufacturers just can't afford to make.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:48 AM
hands without shadows

ORIGINAL: 46u

Frankly I do not care what you think! [sm=lol.gif]
Thats fine too, I'm not trying to start a war here.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:07 AM
46u

First they told me you would have to do the same thing for a battery cover or antenatal when I called to confirm the email. No I think it is just a way for Horizon Hobby to try and make more money. I am guessing most here are too young to remember when companies new what service was. If the shoe was on the other foot I am sure most will feel different.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:14 PM
dude7422

I FEEL FOR YOU 46U SOME TRY TO BUFF THE PART WITH SUM ACRYLIC POLISH DO A SMALL SPOT IN CORNER TRY IT MAY WORK AND REMEMBER DONT BUY FROM THEM AGAIN NOTHING SPEAKS LOADER THEN MONEY [sm=punching.gif] MOMMA SAID KNOCK YOU OUT OLD LL KOOL J SONG ROFL
Old 10-27-2006, 06:52 PM
46u

This is from another forum site, which is against rules to list so I will cut and past. Blows holes in some theories. PM me if you would like the web site.

[You know ...I have a few of the Futaba 3PK's and wanted to change the color /paint the case on one of them ...I called Futaba/ Great Plains and had ZERO problems getting the parts I wanted ....the tech i spoke with even told me what to be aware of when I was making the change to the new parts .....now thats service ...]
Old 10-27-2006, 07:41 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: 46u

This is from another forum site, which is against rules to list so I will cut and past. Blows holes in some theories. PM me if you would like the web site.

[You know ...I have a few of the Futaba 3PK's and wanted to change the color /paint the case on one of them ...I called Futaba/ Great Plains and had ZERO problems getting the parts I wanted ....the tech i spoke with even told me what to be aware of when I was making the change to the new parts .....now thats service ...]
46u, I cannot agree with you more. Customer service is paramount and Horizon Hobbies should pick up that policy. RC is still in my opinion a fledgling hobby; if it were more widespread, everything would be more cheaper sice the companies could sell everything cheaper because of their profits from mass sales. Horizon in this case is not helping the hobby.

You are also 100% correct about Great Plains when it comes to 3PKs. I had an LCD on one of my 3PKs go down. I sent it to them and they fized it for $35. I paid $10 S&H just to send it in. They paid for return sending. They totally replaced the LCD and did a 100% diagnostics and even threw in the annual adjustmens under the $35 fee! I got my radio back in one week. Though I had another 3PK, if I needed my busted one back for the net weekend, it would not have been an issue at all.

If you want 2.4Ghz on a different radio, Futaba now makes a FASST (that's the module's name, I'm not making this up) 2.4 Transmitter module and Receiver kit. This is made especially for 3PK and is advertised (I say advertised, I do not know the real world numbers) to be way faster than Spektrum DZ2, DZ3, or any Spektrum module for any radio. Most of all, the FASST kit is HRS capable!

I know you already invested alot in your Spektrum D3, but if you can, buy a used 3PK online (about $150 to $200 on auction) and the FASST kit (about $250 on Tower, maybe cheaper on auction).

Sorry, my "eks" key doesnt work. I dropped a K4.6 on my keyboard and my laptop is in hack (being fized at the shop). I use the "Z" key instead. I wish I could ezplain more about the FASST kit from ezperience, but I have yet to come up with the $250 to buy it.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:48 PM
46u

That is the thing about Horizon and Spektrum is that most of the big radio manufactures are coming you with 2.4 GHz technology and there will be many choices. If the radio had an internal problem I would not have a problem in sending it but just to replace a part that pops of and on again is just total ridicules! I am wondering if my Spektrum receivers will work with other brands? Guess time will tell.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:57 PM
-Inverted-

Airtronics also has a new 2.4 GHZ radio out, as well as the Nomadio React. Just giving you a few choices, I agree, Horizon's customer service is so-so, I just sent them an e-mail yesterday that I am very anxious to see a response too, although I probably wont get a reply, If I dont, great service on their end...
Old 10-27-2006, 08:02 PM
46u

Let us know how your experience goes with them.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:07 PM
-Inverted-

Haha, I am very curious, I really went off on a certain Losi vehicle that contains multiple flaws which have yet been fixed by Losi, coming close to a year now the problems have been out, very curious to see the response.

46u,

Just thought of it, how about using a piece of lexan to cover the screen, it isn't factory, but it should work?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.