Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Newbie advice!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 02:05 PM
jordanogrady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie advice!

Hi people,
I 'm new to the site, so be kind to me

I live in the UK, and love RC cars, I have owned one or two in the past as a ypung kid (now i'm 24) and looking for some general advice on what to buy and what not to buy!
I've been looking at the revo's for a while now, and just wonder if they are good to get??

I basically wan't a nitro car (i think) if its advisable for a beginner, i'm quite handy and i've got the time to mess about with stuff!

What RC nitro car could I get that would be good for the money, and I could easily get parts for and service so on...

Remember I live in the UK!

I have looked at a few on Ebay, but I don't really know what make to go for, reliability ect!

Any help would be great!

Sorry if this is in the wrong section!

Jordan
Old 10-26-2006, 02:45 PM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Newbie advice!

Hi and welcome to RCU!

What type of vehicle do you want? On-road, truck, buggy stadium truck etc? I'm guessing by the revo suggestion you're looking at monster trucks.

If so there are lots very good ones availible - but they all have their weaknesses. Choose the one you like, and the one you can get parts for most easily. Try to stay away from the cheap brands, you'll save some money in the beginning - but it's not worth the hastle. Plus you'll struggle to get replacement parts or hop-ups for it unless you buy them all off the internet.

Look into some of these and see what takes your fancy.

HPI Savage
Associated MGT
Losi LST2
Revo
Old 10-26-2006, 02:58 PM
jordanogrady

Cheers for the quick reply, yeah, guess I like the look of the monster truck type, but also like the buggy's, I wan't something for off road use, as you can use them ON road too. and to be honnest, i'd probably need something that is going to take some stick!

I must admit, I do like the TRAXXS revo, they do appeal to me! Some of the video footage is really cool, and makes me want a monster truck type one!

It will be my christmas box, so i've got a while to decide!

Cheers

Jordan
Old 10-26-2006, 03:24 PM
jordanogrady

So is a rough price for a decent car £300?? thats what the revo's are, about!

Jordan
Old 10-26-2006, 07:40 PM
snowbl!nd

You're looking at about £200 - £450 depending on what you're after. A lot of the good 1/8 trucks are around the £300 mark so yeah, not far off. Just really the Losi LST 2 which is more expensive... Of course you'll be able to take a truck on-road if you want - but after dirt and jumps i think the flat roads and car parts just won't appeal to you.

Although it seems you've already decided on getting a Revo make sure you check out the others before you part with your cash. If possible try and hande all the different trucks - it'll give you a completely different perspective than just watching the (usually promotional) videos. Even better if there are any local off-road tracks then try and get down and have a look at the trucks in action.

Personally i'd stay away from the Revo, but that's just my opinion. I've seen enough to stop me from buying one. You'll find loads of people who think it's the best thing since sliced bread of course.

Another good truck to check out would be the Tamiya TNX - not as popular as the Revo, but people who own them never seem to have anything bad to say about them (unlike people who own Revos it seems....)

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFun...n&ItemID=25689
Old 10-27-2006, 02:27 AM
jordanogrady

ORIGINAL: snowbl!nd

You're looking at about £200 - £450 depending on what you're after. A lot of the good 1/8 trucks are around the £300 mark so yeah, not far off. Just really the Losi LST 2 which is more expensive... Of course you'll be able to take a truck on-road if you want - but after dirt and jumps i think the flat roads and car parts just won't appeal to you.

Although it seems you've already decided on getting a Revo make sure you check out the others before you part with your cash. If possible try and hande all the different trucks - it'll give you a completely different perspective than just watching the (usually promotional) videos. Even better if there are any local off-road tracks then try and get down and have a look at the trucks in action.

Personally i'd stay away from the Revo, but that's just my opinion. I've seen enough to stop me from buying one. You'll find loads of people who think it's the best thing since sliced bread of course.

Another good truck to check out would be the Tamiya TNX - not as popular as the Revo, but people who own them never seem to have anything bad to say about them (unlike people who own Revos it seems....)

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFun...n&ItemID=25689
Cheers for that reply, to be honnest, the revo was the first rc car that I saw, and I wanted it, not knowing anything about it!
Whats the difference with the revo and say, this http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFun...=BiggerPicture its £100 cheaper! Are the parts available for repair and so on??
I really don't know what i'm looking for, to me I just look at them and they all look very similar, not knowing the actual spec, and understanding all the fundamentals!

Jordan
Old 10-27-2006, 02:38 AM
jordanogrady

Are the 1/10 scale more fun than the 1/8 scale ones?

on that site there are quite a few for the £200 mark, like the HPI Nitro MT-2 RTR,

ha ha I really don't know what to do now! LOL

Cheers for the link to that site!

Jordan
Old 10-27-2006, 05:45 AM
jordanogrady

Anyone got any more advice??

Jordan
Old 10-27-2006, 05:59 AM
snowbl!nd

ORIGINAL: jordanogrady

Jordan
Maybe not more fun, just different.

The 1/10 scale are generally slightly faster than the 1/8's, but then the larger trucks can handle more rugged terrain. They're a much more popular class to race than the 1/10's - if you ever wanted to get into that...

It all really depends what you want the truck for. Where you're going to be driving it, who you're going to be driving with etc etc.

The Tamiya you linked to looks more of a modified on-road chassis, when compared to designed from scratch 1/8 mt's. I highly doubt it could handle off-road nearly as well as say a Revo, MGT or Savage.

If you want something a bit different and more more manageable then i thik this would be a good choice... http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFun...n&ItemID=20385

It's a kit and you'd need a radio and servos, but it's out accelerate just about and monster truck out there.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:22 AM
jordanogrady

ORIGINAL: snowbl!nd

ORIGINAL: jordanogrady

Jordan
Maybe not more fun, just different.

The 1/10 scale are generally slightly faster than the 1/8's, but then the larger trucks can handle more rugged terrain. They're a much more popular class to race than the 1/10's - if you ever wanted to get into that...

It all really depends what you want the truck for. Where you're going to be driving it, who you're going to be driving with etc etc.

The Tamiya you linked to looks more of a modified on-road chassis, when compared to designed from scratch 1/8 mt's. I highly doubt it could handle off-road nearly as well as say a Revo, MGT or Savage.

If you want something a bit different and more more manageable then i thik this would be a good choice... http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFun...n&ItemID=20385

It's a kit and you'd need a radio and servos, but it's out accelerate just about and monster truck out there.
Cheers for that info mate, I have actually been looking at that one too! Is that one as good as the revo??
I'm probably not the type of person to go racing these, or even join a club, i'd just go find a local quarry or a skate park, or maybe a big field!
I would like it to handle rough rocky surfaces, and don't want it to get damaged easy!

I suppose I wouldn't mind building one, but one from the box would be easier!

The revo's are about £300 in the UK with everything, this one you have linked, needs more things, and would cost the same money! So for £300 whats the best I could get?

The advice and help is much appreciated guys! As I know newbies on forums can have a one track mind! I'll help everyone if I can!

Cheers
Jordan