Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

RS4 33 18SS help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 05:34 PM
01s0uljah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS4 33 18SS help!

i ended up picking up this kit today.. and im really stumped on page 9 step 3.. the part A881.. i cant seem to find the 86050c.. ball bearing.. it wasnt preassembled as it stated in the book.. what am i supposed to do withh this thing?!?!
Old 10-26-2006, 05:42 PM
01s0uljah

Default RE: RS4 33 18SS help!

edit.. i found out it the spring was under the tight nut.. but what about the hole next to it.. the nut goes in loose and falls out in the hole in the donut.. is it supposed to not be tight/
Old 10-26-2006, 08:40 PM
hpi apollo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i did the same thing, one hole is for the shift point, the other is for the set scerw to hold it on the shaft
Old 10-26-2006, 10:49 PM
01s0uljah

I replaced the hole with the spring and the ball bearing with the black spring.. tighened it as much as possible.. then loosened it 3 rounds...

Now with the gears that it connects to.. im at the step where im about to connect the rear and the front to the gearbox.. i think i could have messed it up... The big gear.. moves only one way.. and locks if i try turning it the other way.. the smaller gear goes both ways.. but doesnt move the axle thing.. its like it doesnt do anything.. and its a little wobbly.. can anyone help me out here? im scared to continue incase i did something wrong..

Check out the pic for more detail...

Thanks for all the help..
Old 10-27-2006, 07:16 AM
hpi apollo

as long as you followed the directions you are fine,t he brake disc will always be a little wobbly, the main spur gear (1st gear) will lock when you move it one way, and the other spur gear (2nd) engages when it is spinning really fast
Old 10-27-2006, 09:20 AM
buggymangp

thats beacuse theres a one way bearing in there.
all is fine.
i thought the same thing. i just built the car thinking if i did something wrong
i`ll take it apart again. but everything was fine.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:16 PM
01s0uljah

Okay.. so ive got pretty far today.. got all the axles in and stuff.. and ive got one last question...

when i turn the big gear.. the way that its supposed to.. its suposed to move all 4 wheels.. now ive got a little problem.. when i turn the big gear on the tranny the right way.. i can hold still one of the wheels.. and still have the gear move.. now logically thinking.. when the motor is in and moving.. if something makes the one of the wheel gets stuck.. the motor will still move and not move that stuck wheel... is there something later on that locks everything?
Old 10-27-2006, 06:06 PM
thedub88

I just checked my 18SS and thats right. When you hold one wheel and turn the gears on the tranny it turns the other wheels.

With the motor in, the small gear on engine and the big gear on the tranny is your first gear. The other gear on the tranny is your second gear and it free wheels, but it doesn't look like it because the grears on the engine are fixed to each other. Once the engine, gears, and tranny get up to speed, the second gear kicks in and the gears for first gear free wheel

both of the gears in the tranny have one way bearings, so while one is driving, the other free wheels

its confusing untill you know how it works

arn't you glad you have to put it together yourself? Imagine trying to rebuild the tranny if you didn't put it together in the first place??

Continue putting the car together it sounds like your doing everything right!!
Old 10-27-2006, 07:15 PM
01s0uljah

awsome.. great thanks.. i was thinking about going to the LHS for them to take a look.. but it sounds right.. then im gonna continue!
im staring to work on the engine.. i pulled all the way on the pully thing to start it.. would it do any damage if its not connected and me pulling on it?
Old 10-27-2006, 08:13 PM
hpi apollo

DOOOOOOOOO NOT DOOOOOO THAT!!!!! those pull starts screw up really easy, they are not like weed eaters, pull out only 8 inches, no more, please call it a pull start, not a pully thing, if you dont know what something does like that, dont bother it, i screwed my 18ss pull start up, $20 to replace
Old 10-28-2006, 05:44 AM
01s0uljah

ouch.. i had pulled it a couple times cause i couldnt move the motor with my hands.. and realized that it spun when you pulled it.. Ive just about got everything set up.. i just need to find a place to buy a good cheap radio... then i can start this baby up.. thank you guys for all your help...

Im still a little iffy on whether i did the front and back differentials (? i dont know what they are called, the front and back thing holding the axle to spin the wheels).. When i spin one of the back wheels clock wise.. th other back wheel spins counterclock wise.. is this right?
Old 10-28-2006, 08:11 AM
thedub88

ORIGINAL: 01s0uljah

ouch.. i had pulled it a couple times cause i couldnt move the motor with my hands.. and realized that it spun when you pulled it.. Ive just about got everything set up.. i just need to find a place to buy a good cheap radio... then i can start this baby up.. thank you guys for all your help...

Im still a little iffy on whether i did the front and back differentials (? i dont know what they are called, the front and back thing holding the axle to spin the wheels).. When i spin one of the back wheels clock wise.. th other back wheel spins counterclock wise.. is this right?

yes its called a defferential, it's supposed to turn the opposite way when you turn the other wheel.

First let me say you MUST break in the engine before you can use the car (do a serch on this site "engine break in" look for the heat cycle method)

Before you even pull on the pull start for the first time your supposed to put a few drops of "after run oil" under the glo plug and in the carb. Too late but probably no harm done.

Do you have a glo starter? if not get a rechargeable with a meter.

I hear this all the time - "I need a good cheep radio" Its like saying hot and cold. You cant have both. Good radios are expensive and cheep radios are crap.
Get a good computer radio, ya I know everyone has a budget, but buying a cheep radio now will only make you buy another in a few years. Do you want to buy two crap radios or one good one? Im not saying spend $1000 but don't skimp

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXCHA7**&P=0
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXGAG4**&P=0
Old 10-28-2006, 03:05 PM
01s0uljah

I ended up getting an Acoms 4 channel remote.. not smart of me.. oh well.. anyways.. i need some more help guys..

I decided to be an idiot.. and mess around with the motor.. i turned some of the valves.. both of them to be exact.. now i want to change it back to the stock settings... does anybody know what the stock settings are for the throttle valve and the bigger one? thanks!
Old 10-28-2006, 04:48 PM
thedub88

is the acoms a pistol or stick style? what did you pay? four channel radios are usualy only for aircraft.

I'm not sure what the stock needle setting are. Mine are differant because of different factors such as nitro content, type of air cleaner, outside temp.

Old 10-28-2006, 06:02 PM
01s0uljah

The Acoms I got was 150 Canadian.. everything is so much more expensive up here.. anyways.. it came with 3 servos.. im planning to do a mod for the third channel for led lights..
Overall.. i think the build quality of the radio is garbage.. it feels cheap..

anyways.. i have my whole car built.. Im just in need of the stock setting for the Low Speed Needle and the High Speed needle.. Can anybody help me out?
Old 10-28-2006, 06:52 PM
hpi apollo

the needle settings are in the book
Old 10-28-2006, 08:42 PM
01s0uljah

the book only tells me the stock setting for the high speed needle.. and i messed with the low speed needle.. and thank you for all the help! anyone else know?
Old 10-28-2006, 09:21 PM
hpi apollo

its tells the lsn setting too, but i think it is somewher elike 3.5 turns out or set flush
Old 10-28-2006, 09:23 PM
01s0uljah

OKay.. i changed the low speed needle 1 1/2 turns from the lean position and decide to start the engine.. and guess what.. it doesnt start! i put in break in fuel.. put the glow starter in(its charged), primed the fuel.. and manually put the carb to 1/4 open.. and gave it a small pull.. didnt go.. tried pulling for a few minutes.. and it wont start... im scared and dont wanna pull anymore.. whats wrong?
Old 10-29-2006, 12:56 AM
hpi apollo

1 1/2 turns out seems really lean, i think that is the absolute furthest in you should go, whenever you reset needles witout the engine running it is kinda difficult to get it running again, richen that lsn up a bit, and you probably flooded the engine, so try removing the glow plug and cranking it for maybe 20 seconds to get rid of the excess fuel, put the plugg back in, now when you pime it, bring it just up to the carb, no more, now try
Old 10-29-2006, 05:57 AM
01s0uljah

thanks for the reply apollo.. when you say crank it.. u mean pull the pull starter for 20 seconds continuously? and how much should i richen it up at a time?
Old 10-29-2006, 08:45 AM
hpi apollo

crank=turn the engine over, aka trying to start it, just dont pull out more than 8-10 inches or you can kiss the pull start goodbye, also set the lsn 3.5 turns out from bottom, if i remember correctly it said no less than 1.5 turns in from bottom because that was extremely lean, also, when tuning, change needle settings by 1/8th of a turn at a time
Old 10-29-2006, 03:55 PM
01s0uljah

okay i got it to run! but it spits out alot of smoke from the exhaust and vibrates... is it supposed to be like that?
Old 10-29-2006, 04:09 PM
01s0uljah

does anybody know what i should do to this situation? i moved the throttle 1/4 open to start the car.. but when it starts.. it starts moving.. and when i manually try to release the throttle so it the tires wont move.. it shuts off.. anybody know what to do?
Old 10-29-2006, 04:45 PM
hpi apollo

calm down calm down, smoke is fine, and yes, IT WILL VIBRATE! ever held a weed eater? these are worse than those, try leanign the lsn a little bit, and set the idle down to where the carb is open about 1.5mm, 1/4 throttle is really high, and the reason it stops when you try to stop the wheels is the clutch catches and stops the engine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.