Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Another newbie needs help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 12:45 PM
FastFnFord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another newbie needs help!!

Well I just ran across this site, and it seems you al have a lot of good experience and knowledge. I don't know much about RC cars so please dont bash the newbie. My gf is supposed to get me an RC car for xmas, but she wants an idea of what I want. She started working at an RC store a few weeks ago, but she's still learning. I'm sure I could talk to some of the people she works with, but they would be mostly trying to sell a product to make money, not to satisfy my needs. Also, the more opinions the better. I've read some posts on here and looked around on the net and here is what I'm looking for:

Defiantely want Nitro. I've also seen some listed as "gas", separate from nitro, but I've only seen a few. Are they the same or do some actually use gasoline? I wanted a street/touring car for the last 4 years, but I've decided that I want something that can go anywhere, so I think I want a Monster truck. I don't like like the buggies. I also want a Ford 350 or similar body for it, so I want something that will allow me to buy different bodies. I also want something that will be easy to find parts for if I decide to upgrade. I can do most repair work and maintenance myself, since I spend 98% of my free time working on my custom ford explorer (though they are completely different scale), so that's not much of an issue. I think I want a RTR, since they are cheaper right? I wouldn't mind a kit but then I have to buy radios and engines separate, which gets into big money. I do want something somewhat fast, I don't know how fast they are out-of-the-box, but maybe 30mph+? We are both in bad times financially right now, but she insists on getting me one. Im looking for something around $300, though she wants to try to spend a little more. Any extra money could always go towards tires, gas etc if she wants. What are some good suggestions for a first RC within those guidelines?

Also a couple more questions. When Im looking for an engine if/when I decide to upgrade, what do I look for? I read the post about how hp and torque ratings are not accurate, but what if dyno charts are not available? Is it all about price then? And as far as performance, can you mod these little engines as you can a V6 or V8? What about intake and exhaust? Do they need a certain amount of backpressure like car engines or can I just run it with no muffler for more power? Thanks for your help......Mike
Old 10-28-2006, 01:27 PM
ry5no2

Default RE: Another newbie needs help!!

GAS = Uses real petrol/gas, mixed with oil, from what ive heard you mix it yourself

NITRO = Usually bought from, shops, has a mix of ntromethane and oil mainly, can be made by yourself if you want it very custom, used in small engines for most models 1/8 and below (1/10 etc.)

Ryan

i hope i got that right
Old 10-28-2006, 01:45 PM
125cchyperman

There is gas and then there is nitro. Gas is used larger scale's and above and nitro is used in 1/8th scale and below. You will be paying a lot of money for a gasser so your money range will be in the nitro. Ok so your looking for a nitro, nitro the fuel is a mix of alcohol, nitromethane and 2 stroke oil. Depending on the fuel it will cost any where from $18 a gallon to $30 a gallon but a gallon of fuel will last a long time so dont get worried.

The capablities of switching bodies in not a problem and 30mph is also not a problem. You want a nitro MT so your looking at either a Traxxas T-Maxx, Revo a Savage x Team Losi LST or LST2 or a Team associated Monster GT.

Personally I would go with either the T-Maxx, Revo or Savage. Thay all have a ton of after market support but the thing that will get you is there price. For them you will or she will have to go to ebay. Since your asking about it now (which is a darn good thing) you or her can search ebay for deals. Since it's for christmas you can be patiente you or her should be able to find some great deals on ebay.

HAHAHA almost for got about st's. You can get some 4wd st's. I believe HPI makes a truck with a ford body already on it. (I may be wrong though) and they are less expensive. You can get a new ST for around $250 and be able to get fuel and things of that nature with your extra money. Ebay is also a great place for them as well.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:02 PM
-Inverted-

I would reccomend a Traxxas Revo 3.3, it would suit you well from what I have read, however you are going to have to step your budget up. As with any hobby, it costs money. You can buy the ford body you would like for it as well.
Old 10-28-2006, 04:39 PM
thedub88

The revo is $504 at tower hobbies and it only has the 3.3 engine.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXMHP1**&P=0
The savage is 4.1 (rtr) and is $439.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMCA1&P=ML

I'd go with the savage its cheeper and has a more powerful engine. It will be cheeper to buy the one with the more powerful engine to begin with, than to cheep out and upgrade later. ($150 - $200)

If you have the money, the savage is also avalable in 4.6,
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMYA2&P=ML
its $20 cheeper but doesn't come with a radio, so buying a radio will cost you around $100

I would get a three channel so in the future you can get the reverse modual
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXCHA7**&P=0
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXGAG4**&P=0
Old 10-28-2006, 05:07 PM
hands without shadows

Revo and savage are different scales, the revo will smoke the savage in speed, acceleration and on the track because it has a greater power to weight ratio..................
Old 10-28-2006, 05:15 PM
-Inverted-

I have been hearing tons of bad things about the savage X in the monster truck forum.

EDIT: I just remembered the Monster GT, it is only $400 and a GREAT truck.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:16 PM
hands without shadows

If I ever bought a savage it would be the savage 25; just cause its not fancy so it'd be cheaper, and it wont have the tvp problems like the X.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:35 PM
s7jstep1

i just got a used revo 2.5r and i love it. fast, tough, and easy to get parts for. it will easily do 40 mph stock.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:30 PM
FastFnFord

Ok we went to the hobby store she works at yesterday and looked at some. One of the guys brought one of their demos out back, it wasnt broken in so he had to be easy with it. He didnt try to sell us on anything, but he did tell us what he wouldnt buy. I decided to go the the Savage. I don't know what model it is, but thats the one I want. It has the reverse and 2 speed trans, and its 4wd. Now that you explained to me the difference in gas and nitro, can gas be used in a nitro engine? and will it get more power? It be be somewhat the same as whats used in weed eaters and other 2 cycle engines right? Thanks for everyones help!
Old 10-29-2006, 01:14 PM
-Inverted-

No. gasoline cannot be used in a nitro engine.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:00 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

The Revo’s at my track do not smoke my Savage. Have won numerous races against them and on the straightaway have no problem staying ahead of them and I am running a stock K4.6 that came with my Savage SS. Have well over 6 gallons run through it and still running great! If you are going to get a new Savage get the SS kit mine is the older SS kit.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:36 PM
125cchyperman

As -inverted- said you cannot use gasoline in these engines. These engines where designed to use alcohol and nitromethane. It would be cheaper but no we cant use gasoline in these.