Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Tuning issues...I think(newbie)

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 11:56 PM
talontsiawd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning issues...I think(newbie)

Ok, so my car runs extremely rich anywhere close to the factory settings. Infact when i started "retuning" it today, i reset it. It was absolutely spitting out fuel. Not any minor amount, it was acting more like a fuel pump than an engine. Anyway, like this, it obviously stalls like crazy. So in order to get it to even idle right, i have to go pretty lean (i think). To get it to idle i'm atleast half a turn from flush (it's hard for me to find exactly where flush is). Anyway, 1/2 to 5/8's, around there, again, i think. Flush seems about 1/8 of a turn off what it looks like in the manual.

Is this too lean? It actually runs pretty damn well to be honest. I did constantly check temperature, i just bought a infared thermometer. I was usually still around 200, then i leaned and eventually hit around 250. It was about 80 today, btw. Now it ran great. But it didn't seem like enough smoke. I figure around 240 is good though. I know that tuning is more than temps but i figure it's a good starting point atleast, and defineatly a good reference point. Again, before it was running insanely rich. Enough that it spit enough fuel on the rear tire to the point it couldn't turn that way without instantly spinning. I don't think there is enough smoke still, just a thin "cloud" coming from the exhaust, pretty much nothing on idle or part throttle. Is this right? This is why i don't want to tune purely off temp. Sorry, this is pretty newbie, i know, i'm just concerned. I mean it runs great but i'm also a car guy. And i know the best your car is going to run is right before you blow the motor, i'm sure it's the same with nitro.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:08 PM
hpi apollo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tuning issues...I think(newbie)

tune for crisp throttle response and good top end, then check your temps, sounds like you had it pretty clsose to what it should be running at if it was at 250, 260 is pushing it, i like to run about 220-250, but im using a larger heatsink, also, some fuesl produce less smoke, so dont worry about it
Old 11-07-2006, 08:48 PM
talontsiawd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tuning issues...I think(newbie)

Thanks, i'm just a bit paranoid since i really have nobody to help me. Anyway, i mess with it more today, just getting better. Lower temps too, like 230-240. I riched up the low end to the point it would just barely idle, then when back to the top end, retuned from factory. Then leaned the lowend a bit. Idles well, i'm happy. I still don't think it's at it's peak (obviously i don't know totally what i'm doing). I knew it would be a learning experience for sure to get it running well after the factory settings didn't help me one bit. Now i'm a whole lot happier than even yesterday. It did take me about an hour to get it to run halfway decently, frustrating as hell.