Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

X-mods, good or bad???

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 12:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-mods, good or bad???

please give your opinions on the xmods.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:19 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: X-mods, good or bad???

If you want to go 1/28 scale get a Kyosho Mini-Z. Much better!
Old 11-30-2006, 10:15 AM

You are gonna spend really bigggggggggggg bucks to make them fast with alot of aftermarket custom up grades.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:37 AM
46u

I have 9 Kyosho Mini-Z’s and at one time had a X Mod but gave it away as it is nothing near the quality of the Mini-Z’s. I still have my Mini-Z’s. Yes anything is this hobby is a money pit no matter what you get! I have around 20 hobby grade RC cars and truck from nitro to electric and they all cost and keep on costing.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:17 PM

From personal experience, I would say don't go with the Xmods. I had mostly loss of range with the radio and other problems along those lines which really created a headache. The stock electronics just aren't up to par and aren't good enough, they could be called unreliable in a sense. I would really consider something more high quality like a Mini Z just to be sure that you aren't wasting your money and putting it to a good purchase instead. I would go with what 46u said, and get the Mini Z
Old 11-30-2006, 09:53 PM

I think xmods are fine. They are great for someone new to the hobby. Heres a thread about them: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4926652/tm.htm
Old 11-30-2006, 10:31 PM
46u

Here are a few of my Mini-Z’s amd part of my track. Sorry I do not go to radio shack to buy hobby grade RC stuff.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29115.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	569646   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89140.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	569647   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm25161.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	569648   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq43415.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	569649  
Old 11-30-2006, 10:32 PM

Those look cool, nice track.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:38 PM
46u

I wish I had room inside to set the whole track up that is just a little over half. Here is my Mini-Z truck.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97268.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	569652  
Old 11-30-2006, 11:41 PM

I beg to differ. I run a club at school that is deals with XMODS and Mini Zs. The new generaion XMODS are $40 and come with everything. I have XMODS that are almost three years old and I bash and race them hard and have had zero problems.

We have tournaments at our school and 99% the XMODS beat the Mini Zs. I have the exact same track and the XMODS annihilate.

Yes, the old XMODS did have range issues but the second generation XMODS are amazing.

However, my three year old XMOD is the old one and it's been fine.

This is THE BEST GATEWAY for anyone getting into RCs.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:42 PM

I beg to differ. I run a club at school that is deals with XMODS and Mini Zs. The new generaion XMODS are $40 and come with everything. I have XMODS that are almost three years old and I bash and race them hard and have had zero problems.

We have tournaments at our school and 99% the XMODS beat the Mini Zs. I have the exact same track and the XMODS annihilate.

Yes, the old XMODS did have range issues but the second generation XMODS are amazing.

However, my three year old XMOD is the old one and it's been fine.

This is THE BEST GATEWAY for anyone getting into RCs.

O yea, I have lithium XMODS and I spank 10th scale trucks; hehe.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:17 AM
My Feedback: (1)

i agree with ^^^. it was infact my gateway into this hobby. i see nothing wrong with them and the access to upgrade are availible to almost everyone with radioshacks everywhere. i know if i was to get a miniz, i'd be limited to ordering all my parts and upgrades.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:43 AM

Heres a pic of my old Xmod (with out body): http://image.rcuniverse.com/forum/up...96/Ec88652.jpg
Old 12-01-2006, 12:37 PM

I would say Mini-Z's I have had 3 Mini-Z's and one xmod and they dont compare at all.
My Mini-Z's were faster handled better and were better quality.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:58 PM

Good. My wife and I both race truggies and brushless ST's, but for the price you just can't beat xmods for chasing the kids around the house. The new gen look very realistic, and I consider them to be borderline hobby grade. No range issues, no durabulity issues (despite hitting walls at full speed and my 19 month old sometimes getting lucky and catching it). My 4 year old son likes to drive it and for someone who doesn't have parents who race, it is a great gateway into the hobby.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:51 PM

i have a xmod second jeneration and i have all the radioshac upgrades which are horible biy the way and meny after market upgrades like lipo batery all new electronics and even a mineter brushles moter and it goes aroun 50+ mph which is minde bogeling for suc ha small car botem line x mods have the potentil to be hoby grade cars but they dont come that way you have to biy after market upgrades and if you know how to soder and are wiling to put after market upgrades on you x mod they can beat meny nitro poured cars which are much larger then they are.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:55 PM

www.teammnm.net
Old 01-04-2007, 02:43 PM

hey everybody im new on the site but ive been playin with xmods since they came out...ive gone thru about 6 of them but they r so much fun rite now im running the subaru impreza with alloy and carbon fiber upgrades i ahve the radio shack stage 2 motor, suspension, under glow, head and tail lights, awd, and i also have the clear chassis on it...i am curently passing my baby on to one of my buddies so that i can buy lithium battries and stacked FETs for my second gen. fire bird which i have drag slicks and the motor upgrade i loved the xmods since i bought my first one the one thing i dont like about these cars r the lack of ground clearance but they r very durable and easy to customize id give these cars a 4 out of 5
Old 01-04-2007, 09:55 PM

ORIGINAL: 46u

Here are a few of my Mini-Z’s amd part of my track. Sorry I do not go to radio shack to buy hobby grade RC stuff.
Where do you buy your mini-z's? The trucks and cars? www.atomicmods.com ??
Old 01-05-2007, 08:49 PM

I own several too. Not to bad however the high profile type ( hummer) tips easily with the 30,000 rpm motor. My son loves it and they are nearly unbreakable.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:48 AM

X Mods
Great opportunity for my son to learn about RC and how things work. Perfect entry level interest builder. Some assembly required but not so much as to be discouraging. Lots of small mods to make it better, readily available at a local store. Low priced, interchangable, results oriented performance upgrades. Bling body / wheel mods to "look cool".
A fun, inexpensive hobby that any parent could be supportive of.
You can make them as trick as you want or just run them stock.
There is no "down side".
Old 01-11-2007, 08:33 PM

BAD
Old 01-12-2007, 05:35 PM

ORIGINAL: manuel frias

i have a xmod second jeneration and i have all the radioshac upgrades which are horible biy the way and meny after market upgrades like lipo batery all new electronics and even a mineter brushles moter and it goes aroun 50+ mph which is minde bogeling for suc ha small car botem line x mods have the potentil to be hoby grade cars but they dont come that way you have to biy after market upgrades and if you know how to soder and are wiling to put after market upgrades on you x mod they can beat meny nitro poured cars which are much larger then they are.
Thanks, now my head hurts. Try this :

It denos't mtater waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, it's olny iprmoatnt taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae.The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm.Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.