Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Running in snow...and ice, is it BAD

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 04:47 PM
ry5no2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running in snow...and ice, is it BAD

My dad thinks that running in snow, (possibly while its snowing) is as bad as running in rain, i personally do not think this, because there is nothing to melt the snow on the car

The only way REALLY into the car is where the engine stick out tof the shell, now im SURE that if now landed on the engine then it would just evaporate, whereas rain is a ******* and gets in every nok and cranny , am i wrong and is my dad right (dont worry i wont show him this, if you agree with him, im not letting him BEAT ME, soooooo shameful)

Ryan

Oh yeh and he said tht hes only gonna let me run it in, RUN IT IN, ive got a few words for him, giving me all this ONLY RUNNING IT IN malarky, anyway he will probably let me run it anyway, im sure hes just thinking of my pressy, not gettin damaged lol
Old 12-05-2006, 07:23 PM
Taffey

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Running in snow...and ice, is it BAD

I hate to tell you this, but your dad is right. Snow is at least as bad as rain.

You mentioned that there wasn't anything to melt the snow.... uh, wrong again. In electrics, the battery pack, speed control, and motor will get plenty warm enough to melt snow. In nitros, the engine, header, and pipe all get pretty hot as well. In addition, most nitro vehicles have aluminum chassis that act as heat sinks for the engine. That means that the entire chassis will get slightly warm, again melting snow and/or ice.

The good news is that you can run in snow quite easily with a few simple mods. Here's an article that explains it in more detail: [link=http://www.misbehavin-rc.com/pit-lane/waterproofing/gn-waterproofing.asp]Snow-proofing your RC[/link]
Old 12-05-2006, 10:38 PM
silent_echo

on top of what taffey said, it is also a good idea to keep your engine warm, running it in cold temperatures can harm the sleeze of the engine, ive heard of guys using foil tape, or a sock of some osrt around the heatsink. it might not be necessary, but starting a nitro in the cold is nearly impossible, so you need a way to heat it up
Old 12-06-2006, 12:26 AM
Taffey

Good point - I left that part out.

I hear that a combination of foil, sock, and duct tape works pretty well. Use a hairdryer or heat gun of some type to get your engine head up to at least 100 degrees before trying to start it.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:58 AM
ry5no2

HAIRDRYER, hehehe, thanks you guys and harawong

Ryan
Old 12-06-2006, 03:58 PM
silent_echo

im too cheap for a hairdyer, then again i ahve an onroad so i dont run in the winter, but if the enging is bein stubborn i just turn the car sidewyas and hold a lighter under the heatsink, works good enough
Old 12-06-2006, 04:06 PM
snowbl!nd

For starters you need to run it in!

After that do a bit of snow proofing and take that thing outside! I've had lots of fun driving my MGT on snow and ice - and in my opinion it's a bit safer than driving in the rain because you can't really drown the thing in a puddle... Personally i use a bit of a sock around the cooling head to keep the temp up, but there are lots of methods as people have stated.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:35 PM
ry5no2

hehe, that sounds good, imagine if there was a little petrol leak[X(][X(][X(], lol BOOM

hehe, Ryan