Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

The Guy at my LHS Said after run oil is an old wives tale, and there is no need to buy it

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

The Guy at my LHS Said after run oil is an old wives tale, and there is no need to buy it

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 04:28 PM
bigbadbowtie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Guy at my LHS Said after run oil is an old wives tale, and there is no need to buy it

Traxxas recommends WD-40 in their owners manual for most vehicles they sell.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:32 PM
ry5no2

Default RE: The Guy at my LHS Said after run oil is an old wives tale, and there is no need to buy it

hmmm this is turning into an interesting topic.....keep posting

Thanks

Ryan
Old 12-28-2006, 05:44 PM
bigbadbowtie

http://www.traxxas.com/support/index...cat=143&id=452

Here is the link. :-) happy oiling!!!
Old 12-28-2006, 05:59 PM
ry5no2

lol, well as my uncle has got every odd and end to rc lookafterability, i used some tonight and hell let me use it again when i need

all this stuff coming from a guy who believes that running in is just idleing with a few quick revs for 3 tanks

hahahaaaaa

lol

Ryan
Old 12-28-2006, 06:17 PM
wfdfiremedic

I use Marvel Mystery Oil, which can be purchased at most automotive type stores etc. HPI actually states not to use WD-40 for their engines. They suggest either 3in1, or Marvel if you do not use specific RC after-run.

-Chris
Old 12-28-2006, 08:03 PM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

The thing with nitro fuel is that it is mainly methanol and nitro methane. These attract water. Water causes rust. From my experience with ABC nitro engines, the oxidation occurs very slow so if you are going to run your RC again within a week or so, there is really no need for after run oil. But if you are leaving it for a long while, you really should dump ou all the fuel you can, and put some WD-40, or after run oil in the combustion chamber and turn it over a few times.
WD40 is very effective as a rust inhibitor. When rebuilding an engine (full scale, cast iron) when most mechanics sand anything on the block, they will spray it with WD40 if it going to be left even overnight. In a semi-damp shop the iron will oxidize within hours.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:40 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: bigbadbowtie

I know but we are talking about Traxxas but if you check with all engine manufactures they tell you not to use WD 40 and Traxxas is the only one that says to. Have to wonder if they are just trying to sell more engines?
Old 12-29-2006, 01:52 AM
groovethumper

I I HAVE A SAVAGE X (2 MONTHS OLD), I'VE USED AFTER OIL RELIGIOUSLY SINCE I'VE OWNED IT. I HAD TO TAKE THE ENGINE APART TO REPAIR THE ONE WAY BEARING ON THE ROTO START. IT WAS SUPER CLEAN INSIDE. I RUN IT ABOUT ONCE EVERY THREE DAYS. I ALSO REMOVE THE AIR FILTER AND MANIFOLD TO CHECK THE CARB, AGAIN PRISTINE. I HAVE THE STANDARD SIZE BOTTLE OF HOBBICO. I STILL HAVEN'T USED HALF A BOTTLE YET. AND I'M GENEROUS WITH IT. I SAY USE IT.

I HAVE A QUESTION.

I WAS RUNNING IT IN VERY MARSH LIKE CONDITIONS(LOT OF HUGE PUDDLES). HOW DO GET THE WATER OUT OF THE TIRES?
DO I HAVE TO REMOVE THEM? ALL HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. PEACE.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:22 AM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: groovethumper
I WAS RUNNING IT IN VERY MARSH LIKE CONDITIONS(LOT OF HUGE PUDDLES). HOW DO GET THE WATER OUT OF THE TIRES?
DO I HAVE TO REMOVE THEM? ALL HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. PEACE.
Removing them will be the best way to get rid of all the water in there. You'll also be able to rinse and dry out the foams as they get filthy and add weight. I suggest you pop them in the oven to get them off the rims if they're superglued (do a search on this site, i'm sure you'll find out exactly how to do it)

Another thing you could try would be to make several small holes around the tyre - in the centre. The rotation of the wheels when you drive should "fling" the water out of the holes.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:10 AM
bigbadbowtie

ORIGINAL: 46u

I know but we are talking about Traxxas but if you check with all engine manufactures they tell you not to use WD 40 and Traxxas is the only one that says to. Have to wonder if they are just trying to sell more engines?

Im not saying I use it on a regular basis but have in a pinch. I use air tool oil as its intended to remove water and lube.Im just pointing out that an engine manufacturer suggests it. I take it from your post you don't like Traxxas?
That Revo is hard to beat out of the box in a Monster class.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:20 AM
125cchyperman

And you wonder why so many TRX owners have air leaks with there engine's. I do not recommend using WD-40 as it tend to mess with the seals and then causes air leaks. As for the ARO I put ARO in after I am done running and I know that I will not be running the engine for a little while. I dont always run my fuel tank dry but I do put ARO in and I store my RC's in my room's where the humidity is kinda low.

As for the air filter oil, I use only air filter oil. Something that is really sticky as that grabs the most debre that's in the air that may otherwise get past a filter with no air filter oil. It's air filter oil for a reason and should be used for air filters as thats whats it was designed for and the air filter was meant to have air filter oil on it. I highly recommend using only air filter oil for the air filter as fuel will just evaporate and anything else that is just as thin will not grab the finer particles
Old 12-29-2006, 10:51 AM
bigbadbowtie

I see air leaks out there on other engines as well. Hyper series of engines are notorious for it. I believe traxxas had a batch of bad engine on the 1st 2.5.
I know people who use it exclusively and have NO issues. To each his own. As I stated.. I don't on a regular basis.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:22 PM
ry5no2

hmmmmm, what about water proof GREASE...........for the airfilter...now THAT is thick stuff, lol

Thanks
for the replies so far

Ryan
Old 12-29-2006, 03:50 PM
bigbadbowtie

Ryan.... with air filter oil you want somthing that will "breath" well yet catch all the dirt it can . Grease will not breath. :-)

Old 12-29-2006, 04:28 PM
ry5no2

I no im only kidding,

hmm can an engine run on grease
heh heh heh heeeeh

Ryan
Old 12-29-2006, 04:49 PM
SManMTB

Normal ATF oil works fine. No need to pay $$$ for anything else.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:45 PM
ry5no2

OK thanks for all the help you guys, Have a happy new year

Ryan
Old 12-31-2006, 01:46 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: ob1n

https://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/fog.aspx

This is the BEST stuff the use. It reaches everywhere!!!!! The foaming action creeps into everything and the aerosol makes application quick and easy. And it last for quite a while. Use customer #1806626 when you order. Nothing better.....I promise.

ob1n

Hope this stuff is better then there motorcycle oil as I tried it and did not like it at all. [:'(]
Old 12-31-2006, 10:49 AM
ry5no2

hmmm, you guys in america and down under have so much availabilty to stuff: sun, heat, TRACKS, online shops the works, and what do we get in england the exact opposite, 1 trak in every part of the country, rain almost all the time and every shop that has good prices is american. also you pay $100 we pay £90, now convert £90 into dollars i think its more than 100, lol

Any way this thread has been a great help and if there are anymore useful tips that maybe related to oil or lubrication or anything of the like POST EM , itll probably help someone.

Thanks

Ryan
Old 12-31-2006, 04:42 PM
markeg192

Hmmm, I have 4 or 5 gallons through my Savage .28 and have never used anything.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:58 AM
ry5no2

Well funily enough the guy at that LHS, (ive got another) also said the the throttle stop was infact the throttle stop, the HSN is the idle, and the LSN is the one that if you twist makes it go faster because it leans.....what an absolute TQAT

Thanks

Ryan
Old 01-01-2007, 12:36 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: ry5no2

Well funily enough the guy at that LHS, (ive got another) also said the the throttle stop was infact the throttle stop, the HSN is the idle, and the LSN is the one that if you twist makes it go faster because it leans.....what an absolute TQAT

Thanks

Ryan
You're right, he is an ablsolute TQAT and all TQATs like him should be drawn and quartered by chickens (yes, I mean by chickens, not with chickens; I'm in the mood for some buffalo wings! )

Anyways, what is a TQAT? ( I'm looking at the ceiling in ignorance...)
Old 01-01-2007, 05:08 PM
Pico Train

wd 40 works good, it displaces moisture to keep your engine from rusting. if you do run your engine dry just dont be hard on the throttle when it starts running out of fuel. this can be a good way to burn out glow plugs. it will start to run lean as it runs out of fuel so this will be your warning.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:33 PM
Carpilot

I found that the hobbico after run oil smells exactly like air tool oil which smells exactly like marvel mystery oil, hmmm seems kind of suspicious to me. they all have the same color and viscosity as well.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:37 PM
Carpilot

I found that the hobbico after run oil smells exactly like air tool oil which smells exactly like marvel mystery oil, hmmm seems kind of suspicious to me. they all have the same color and viscosity as well.

however I will say that some fuels say on the side of the bottle "DO NOT USE AFTER RUN OIL" I think omega is one of them, I'm guessing because of the additives in it and full synthetic (no castor to gum up)

oops not sure how I did that double post.

also Cool power 30% full synthetic says not to use after run oils "Morgan fuel contains a rust inhibitor and an anti-oxidant for resting engines"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.