Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

The Guy at my LHS Said after run oil is an old wives tale, and there is no need to buy it

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

The Guy at my LHS Said after run oil is an old wives tale, and there is no need to buy it

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 04:08 PM
ry5no2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Guy at my LHS Said after run oil is an old wives tale, and there is no need to buy it

I went down to my LHS for some supplies today, and ive been reading about so called after run oil....sooo i asked him how much it was and he said, that it is a load of rubbish and an old wives tale. Is he right and if not what is a good cheap substitute

Thanks

Ryan
Old 12-27-2006, 04:15 PM
hands without shadows

Default RE: The Guy at my LHS Said after run oil is an old wives tale, and there is no need to buy it

He has a point.......if you run your nitros more than once a month you don't really need it. Alot of people only use it when storing for the winter and even then its not necessary.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:18 PM
swerv512

Default RE: The Guy at my LHS Said after run oil is an old wives tale, and there is no need to buy it

its a fact that uncomsumed nitro fuel in your engine case will attract moisture and cause corrosion inside your casing in time. that's not an old wives tale. however you may be able to get a less-expensive substitute for the "AFTER RUN OIL" that hobby shops sell. it may be a lil expensive but think of it this way. which is cheaper, $5 for the oil or the cost of an engine.

i'd rather just pay the $5 to NOT learn a lesson the hard way...
Old 12-27-2006, 04:20 PM
gubbs3
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He obviously doesn't have much real experience with nitro engines.

The purpose of after run oil is to displace any remaining alcohol in the engine. Alcohol attracts water which, if left in the engine, will rust the crank and most importantly the bearings. The effect of lubing the engine is minimal, it is just to prevent rust.

The most important thing to do when putting a nitro vehicle away is to run the tank dry of ALL fuel. That is the first thing to help prevent rust. This should be done daily! Even if you plan on running the next day you MUST run the tank dry. Then you may add after run oil for true protection from rust.

For a long time I only ran my tanks dry and didn't use after run oil. They lasted just as long as any other but there was still a small amount of rust on the bearings. Not enough to ever cause failure, but I never rebuild my motors and run the bearings longer than that. Since then I have used after run oil every time I put it away and have never had any rust develop in any of my engines.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:21 PM
running_gag

WD 40. Thats all I use.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:24 PM
ry5no2

So then how do you use after run oil? just put it down the fuel line and the engine over a few times?

Is WD40 sufficient for the job?

HAHA, have a look at English economy, try 15 QUID!!!, like 28 USD, or 40 AUD. well thats what i was told....

Thanks so far

Ryan
Old 12-27-2006, 04:26 PM
bigbadbowtie

Automatic transmission fluid from Walmart or ait tool oil. A 1 quart jug will last longer than your engine and cost way less than 5 bucks.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:30 PM
ry5no2

OK, thanks ill have a look around for it, AND......Is there a substitute for air filter oil as he said fuel will work fine but it seems a little *THIN*

Thanks

Ryan
Old 12-27-2006, 04:37 PM
running_gag

take your air filter and glow plug out. spray some into the glow plug hole, about one second, (i don't know what that is in british time) then open your throttle all the way and spray some into your carb. turn the truck upside down and turn the motor over a couple of times. thats it. close it back aup and your GTG.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:39 PM
madtr

I use after run oil in everything i own nitro,planes cars and boats and when out i use wd 40 and for air filter oil i use three in one oil and it works well. If an engine sits for a while without being turned over the nitro gels and gets cruddy inside the engine so i oil it if im not going to use it for a week or more,one large bottle of after run oil cost me 1 bucks but with only a few drops going in an engine last me a long long time.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:40 PM
silent_echo

after run oil isnt completely necessary, especially when you run your engine completely dry after every time you use it
Old 12-27-2006, 05:18 PM
bigbadbowtie

Motorcycle foam air filter oil is the same thing that is sold as RC air filter oil.
I picked up 16 ounces of Suzuki brand air filter oil about 2 months ago for 5.99.
That much will out last my current stock of engines.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:59 PM
ry5no2

Cheeky beggar, lol (british time)

Ryan
Old 12-27-2006, 07:20 PM
swerv512

DO NOT USE WD40. i've heard many times that it will ruin the rubber seals, and doesnt coat the engine internals all that well. it's not a lubricant- it's a water displacer.
WD 40 stands for water displacement formula number 40. It displaces water but is not a lubricant. It provides a small amount of rust and corrosion protection.
The most important single thing to do is to make sure that all fuel is ran from the engine and that the tank is completely dry. The methanol in the fuel absorbs moisture and the nitro will react with brass / bronze and form an acid.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:36 PM
MADDAWG1

no afterrun oil will do this!!!!!!! this is what will happend if you leave a tank of fuel on your truck for 1 week 6 days to be exact!
Old 12-27-2006, 07:38 PM
MADDAWG1

sorry double post
Old 12-27-2006, 08:14 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Absolutely, use after run oil after every time you run your nitro and before you put it away. That store clerk is full of rubbish himself. (Maybe he is still a noob himself for all we know.) A $5 bottle of after run oil will last you a month assuming you run your RC every day and even longer if you only run it once a week. $5 is a really cheap preventative maintenance. I might use mine too livberally, but I would prefer to have a long lasting engine than a paperweight just because a noob clerk told me wrong.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:03 PM
Dokioto

Hey guys I am getting ready to run my first Nitro truck and I have some Hobbico After run oil. How do I use the after run oil?
Old 12-27-2006, 11:14 PM
bte214

Disconnect fuel line.Take your air filter out. Pull the throttle open all the way and pour some into the carb opening. An extremely knowldgeable rc driver said to use a teaspoon but i usually use 5-10 drops. Turn the engine over a few times slowly. DO NOT PUT ANY IN THE GLOW PLUG HOLE. This is just an easy way to ruin your engine. The after run oil will work its way in there. If you take the plug out you risk getting dirt in your engine and wearing out the threads.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:29 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Best way to sell more engines is to tell them not to run after run oil so are you surprised? Go to any 1 to 1 racetrack and see what the racers do that run methanol! They do not leave the track with out purging the engine! Same thing I did when running alcohol go-karts! Do not care what others do but I will not take a chance with my high dollar engines over a $2.50 bottle of after run oil. WD 40 water displacement not like after run oil that is water absorbent!
Old 12-28-2006, 12:42 AM
ob1n
My Feedback: (14)

https://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/fog.aspx

This is the BEST stuff the use. It reaches everywhere!!!!! The foaming action creeps into everything and the aerosol makes application quick and easy. And it last for quite a while. Use customer #1806626 when you order. Nothing better.....I promise.

ob1n
Old 12-28-2006, 04:51 AM
ry5no2

2 weeks and yer engine turns out like that!!!!

ok so until i get some i should be ok yeh? as long as i run the tank dry?

My engine still sounds perfect but once i brought it in just after i filled it up and it had gone dark, and left it in my room I HOPE IT ISNT WRECKED seeing as its now 4 days old

DONT YOU JUST HATE ENGLISH NORTHERN WEATHER!!!!

Thanks, Very responsive

Ryan
Old 12-28-2006, 07:30 AM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If i know i'm going to be using my enigne in the next week or so i don't bother with ARO (run them dry anyway) - any longer than that and ill give them a good dose in the carb and glow-plug hole. Remember that where you are storing your engine will also determine whether it will rust or not!

I had an engine rust up on me after about 2 weeks with no ARO - fortunately i managed to strip it down and clean it up. It's still running strong now.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:39 AM
-Inverted-

about one second, (i don't know what that is in british time)
LMAO!!!!!!!!
Old 12-28-2006, 02:31 PM
speedfreak1234

WD 40 can make rubber swell so if your engine has rubber seals then they could be damaged by using it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.