Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

I need help building simple car..something different for you to think about...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

I need help building simple car..something different for you to think about...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 11:40 PM
HunterDavidD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help building simple car..something different for you to think about...

I want to build a decoy for hunting. My idea is to put a rabbit skin over a radio controlled car or robot Here are the specs I need. I would be willing to buy it if someone could make it easily. I don't need a lot of frills just basic stuff.

Quiet as possible.

Speed is not an issue.

Large enough wheels, tracks or feet to move through a field or snow.

Radio control out to 200 yards.

I would like to be able to move the head from side to side and possibly up and down.

If possible it would be cool to sit up or even hop.

Cheap

Emit recorded sounds. MP or digital recordings. Doesn't have to be too loud.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!!!
Old 12-31-2006, 12:32 AM
andrewtexas123

Default RE: I need help building simple car..something different for you to think about...

My the sounds of it is it going to be hobby grade?

Cheap[]
Price range?
Dont know about hoping and jumping
Quiet: Problems running over dead leaves will make noise other than that i am sure you can make it quiet.
Size?
For the head you could plug in a servo in to the 3rd channel and than have contol of it. Attach the head on the servo saver.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:51 AM
hands without shadows

Default RE: I need help building simple car..something different for you to think about...

You will want the cheapest second hand electric 1/10th monster truck you can find, if you can get with a 4wd get it. 4wd will be much more capable but are more expensive. The only tracked thing I can think of is a Kyosho EP Blizzard........good luck finding one cheap.

2wd
Traxxas Stampede
HPI Racing Wheelie King (not 1/10th but close and capable)

4wd
Tamiya Clodbuster
Tamiya Rockbuster
Tamiya TXT
HPI Racing E-Savage
Hotbodies E-Zilla
Traxxas E-Maxx
Tamiya Highlift

Theres more, just none I can think of right now.

A 3 channel radio (2 channels for driving, one for head), 3 channels will only give u sideways or up and down head movement but 4 channel isnt readily available and more expensive. The cheapest will probably be a Traxxas tq3 of ebay.

Recorded sounds................A cheap mp3, cd player, cassette player, walkie talkie even? Might need a headphone amplifier and some ducttape.

Hopping or sitting.............not gonna happen, unless you count wheelies as sitting and jumping as hopping.

You will need a battery pack and charger, buy some outdated nicads and an outdated peak charger for cheap of ebay. Since youll probably want to recharge from your truck/atv/boat/whatever get an ac/dc or dc charger.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:54 AM
andrewtexas123

Long life batterys wold not be a bad idea. Main thing is how much are you going to spend.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:59 AM
hands without shadows

Since speed isnt an issue you can run 2-3 packs in parallel for 2-3 times the runtime and gear down a few teeth.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:08 AM
giddyuperic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are you hunting??????
Old 12-31-2006, 03:01 AM
Cicada-

ORIGINAL: giddyuperic

What are you hunting??????
apparently something that eats rabbits.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:03 AM
DaveG55

For the record, there's nothing simple about what you want this truck to do. It's actually pretty complicated especially if you want all the features you described.

Aside from the techinal issues you'll have to work out you have a couple of other issues to consider.
First is sound. Anything that hunts rabbits for food is going to have pretty good hearing and it's going to be really hard to disguise the sound of the truck.
Second is smell, again, whatever is hunting that rabbit is going to have a keen sense of smell too. Your scent is going to be all over it as well as the mechanical smell of the truck and the electrical ozone small of the motor.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:40 AM
andrewtexas123

From my point of view this is going to be a dumb project. I think what you first steps is look around in a magazine and online www.towerhobbies.com

Find more about HOBBY GRADE cars. e-maxx stampede mini t rc18t tlt rustler mini lst and so on

From your first post to me it soundslike you dont know anything and this is going to take years for you two do with the knowlage you have right now. When it could take a month of hard work.

My main point about you not knowing about hobby grade stuff is it is expinceve.

Just my thoughts
-Andrew
Old 12-31-2006, 12:08 PM
HunterDavidD

I think you guys are right. The sound and smell will make this a tough sell to a coyote or fox. Maybe all is should do is make a remote with a servo motor. I can probably drown out the sound with foam. As for the smell that can be taken care of with some scent. Either urine or dirt scent. Do you think that is possible? All I want to do is create a little motion.

You are right I know nothing about RC stuff but I do know how to kill varmits

Thanks,

Dave
Old 12-31-2006, 12:20 PM
andrewtexas123

Agian price range?
Old 12-31-2006, 02:34 PM
rc monkey

Why don't you just make a static model of a rabbit and put servos in the head, tail etc? It would be alot easier to make it look authentic and would be alot easier to make?

Thats just what I'm thinking
Old 12-31-2006, 03:51 PM
hands without shadows

If you have a static model of a rabbit you can add some basic movements for relatively cheap if you buy used. Radio's come with channels, every channel gets a servo. A servo is a small box with a spline that will turn forwards and backwards, generally about 230 degrees all together. For every channel you add a movement, one channel could be head nodding, another head shaking, another a paw twitch up and down....ect. The more channels the radio has the mroe expensive it usually is. You will need a receiver than works in the same range of frequency (generally 27 or 75 mhz) and has the same amount of channels as your radio, then you need a servo per channel, matching crystals for the radio and receiver (usually included in a radio/receiver combo, otherwise 5 bucks or so at your lhs or ebay) and 8 aa's for the radio and 4 for the receiver to power the servos. All that would have to fit in your static bunny is the receiver, 4 aa's and your servos, it should fit ok but when you plant it you will leave behind scent and you will have to wait for anything to come close enough to see/hear/smell it.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:38 PM
HunterDavidD

Looks like my robobunny is taking shape. I like the idea of putting servos for each movement. Can I gear them down? I don't need him looking like he is in fast forward?

As for price range, I have no idea what these things cost. I just don't want to buy equipment designed for NASA when all I need is to give movement to fake bunny.

Thanks!
Old 12-31-2006, 04:48 PM
andrewtexas123

The servos dont move really fast... Dont worry too much on that..
Old 12-31-2006, 06:34 PM
hands without shadows

A cheap servo can be had for 10-15 dollars. Make sure you get a standard sized one, mini and micro wont have enough power. A servo is proportional to your transmitter, so you can make it move as slow as you want. A 20-30 dollar of ebay transmitter/receiver is a traxxas tq or tq3, tq has 2 channels and tq3 has 3 channels. You can get more channels than that but then your going into plane and heli radios and I dont know whats cheap in that area. If you do a search on ebay for 4ch radio or however many channels you want you should be able to get something older for around 50 bucks or so.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:01 PM
HunterDavidD

So basically I need a servo motor per radio channel, crystals per servo, and a transmitter and reciever. I guess a battery pack will be necessary too. Sound about right?
Old 12-31-2006, 07:06 PM
andrewtexas123

Yes servo per channel
CRYSTAL per reciver
one transmiter
one reciever

Are you makeing it stationary or moveble so i can list what you will need for the rest..
Old 12-31-2006, 07:09 PM
hands without shadows

You need 2 crystals, one for the receiver and one for the transmitter. The servo motors are built into the servo along with a pot and a circuit board, you will need one servo per channel that you wish to use, If you have a 3 channel receiver you could use just 2 servos if you wanted. A battery can be 4 aa's or a 5 cell receiver pack, you can buy a 5 cell receiver pack and charger for 7 bucks or so of ebay.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:38 PM
andrewtexas123

1 set of cyrstals
Old 12-31-2006, 08:03 PM
hands without shadows

Im sorry, shoulda been more clear. A set of crystals is 2 crystals, you need 1 set of crystals.
Old 12-31-2006, 08:23 PM
-Inverted-

Desnt seem too complicated with the right equipment.

About how big is the skin you will be using, Im honestly not sure, and thats a big factor. You might be able to get away with a mini-lst. Anyways I think a 4 channel radio is the way to go, left stick for throttle/steering and right stick for head motions. I can score you a great deal on a good radio if your interested. shoot me a PM if your interested.
Old 12-31-2006, 08:38 PM
andrewtexas123

Yea a mini lst wouldnt be bad if you use hs81mg servos for motions...?
Old 01-01-2007, 11:43 AM
HunterDavidD

I think I am going to keep it stationary and create movements with the servos. I may have the whole rabbit spin right and left and have head movement. The more I think about it all I need to do is keep the 'yote from looking at me and be more interested in the decoy. Small movements should be enough.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:00 PM
ry5no2

Has someone got a link to that canera car, because it is very clear on how the servos, turn and pitch the camera, yno so that this guy may have an idea of how to mount his

Go with 4 channel

1) Turning Head
2) Pitching head (up and down movement)
3)Tail Movment
4) Mouth movent (I was trhinking the mouth movement could also be connected to a blowtorch regulator, and as it opens it burns the crap out of a fox, heh heh heeeeh)

Other) Maybe instead of mouth movement, you could create like steering, eye movement

Ryan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.