Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Need some help and advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 09:26 AM
adam1979

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help and advice

I will start by saying Hi, as I am new here. Looks like a cracking forum. Ok here is the deal. I have been out of the RC car hobby for probably 10 years and have only ever had electric cars. (tamiya mudblaster, bush devil and a kyosho porsche thing) but now I would like to get back into them with a nitro buggy. I have been looking at the Kyosho Inferno TR-15. Any good or bad opinions on these?? Are they a good starter car?? I am also looking for as much info as possible on everything I will need to get me up and running and as I dont have no clue on how these cars work is there some kind of page about that will explain it all to me?? I have no idea what a glow plug or starter box or anything is so I really need to do some reading!!!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Adam
Old 01-20-2007, 12:34 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Need some help and advice

Welcome to the forum!

This link should help you.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/glossary.cfm

I have never own the TR-15 but at one time was thinking about buying one. After talking to RCers that have been in the hobby for sometime I decided against it. I all so do not recommend a RTR and building a kit should not be a problem and you will end up with a much better vehicle. I all so feel you would be much better off with a 1/8 buggy.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:54 PM
Styles79

It really depends on what you wanna do and Local Hobby Shop support to determine what is a good starter vehicle. Where I am there are about 3 tracks and 3 LHS's 2 of them stock some TR-15 parts. For me it worked out support wise but there was nobody else running them. I like to race the local club scene so the TR-15 didn't really work out for me although it was a reaaly fun car to drive there was noone for me to race against. So if you want to race others you need to see if there are any around or if you just wanna have fun and bash it around go ahead.

I owned a TR-15 for awhile it was a pretty good car for the money. The first thing you need to do is get the upgraded CV shafts. The stock ones are pretty weak and WILL break soon. If you don't have the shafts on hand when the stock ones fail you will be done for the day. The servo saver in mine was also adjusted to tight from the factory and I tore up the steering servo. I adjusted it properly and replaced it with a cheap futaba servo and did not have any other problems. As always with any RTR you should check all the screws before running the vehicle to be sure they are tight. Be aware of some of the suspension screws that are not supposed to be too tight. The manual that comes with it will tell you what ones not to tighten too much.

Here is a really good link about nitro engine tunning etc.[link=http://www.*********.org/cars_eng-tuning.htm]click here[/link]
Old 01-20-2007, 01:40 PM
adam1979

Thanks for the replies both. I should have stated in my first post that I wont be racing the car at all and it will be just for fun as I live in the mountains and there is some awesome places to use a RC car here.
I have built cars from Kit form before but only electric. Not sure if I could with a nitro because I have never tried. Would prefer not too though.
Anyone suggest any more cars that may be better than the TR-15 that is in the same kind of price range?? How about a hot bodies lightning 10 or a X-termainator 2.
Cant really spend no more than about £200.

Thanks

Adam
Old 01-20-2007, 02:06 PM
ross_jsy

oooh only £200? well the lightening sprt 2 is £275 (roughly) nad is an excellent starter car. i recomended that for a freind who wanted to get into the hobby and he loves it. plus its strong, and comes with a couple of usefull spares
Old 01-20-2007, 02:57 PM
adam1979

Ross - Is the lightning 10 any good. Can get one of these for under £200

How about an HPI Firestorm. Anyone have any opinions on these?? Can get one for £195.

Sorry for all the question. Just dont wanna land up with some rubbish thats gonna be broke in no time at all.

Adam
Old 01-20-2007, 05:26 PM
ross_jsy

well i have no expierience with that truck but i have found that hot bodies trucks are very good for beginers and are noramlly pretty tough and easy to tune and are fun.

don't forget that the truck is only the start of it. you will have to factor in fuel, batteries (if you go the rechargable reciever route which is recomended then you need a charger aswell) and repairs down the line.

hope this is not all doom and gloom and i don't want to put you off but this can be a very expensive hobby.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:50 PM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, as you've got a budget of £200 i'd suggest this to you - http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFun...n&ItemID=26717

The Firestorm looks very nice on paper, and i think you'd be happy with it. The link i provided is a combo deal - so you'd be getting everyhting you require to get it up and running (you may need a glow-plug). You're saving a fair bit of money with this deal, and shipping should be free.

...just something to think about
Old 01-20-2007, 07:17 PM
adam1979

Thanks all. I think I have decided on the firestorm. I have found it cheaper than that, but I will work out the difference in postage and what is supplied. I know this is an expensive hobby hence why I dont wanna spend too much too start with otherwise I will leave myself skint and will not be able to pay for repairs.

Cheers for the advice everyone.

Adam
Old 01-21-2007, 05:37 AM
ross_jsy

modelsport are a very good company though and are very helpfull. i recomend getting it from them
Old 08-01-2007, 08:58 AM
smok

I just bought an Inferno TR-15 as my first RC car ( after years of playing with airplanes and helis ) and I find it a great beginner package for it's EUR 200 price. Only needed batteries and fuel in order to give it a go. Because of scarce free time I like the idea of RTR. The servos are on the slow side when checking in the pit - but once the car is running they are still fast enough for my skills. The TX/RX package is rather basic, but looks solid enough. Apparently the engine is a bit above basic type ( they call it GXR while the basic one is called GX ). The size at 1/10 is only a bit smaller than 1/8, big enough to be well visible and have some terrain-negotiating capabilities, while still small and light to be easily transportable in the corner of a car trunk ( or for a youngster driver - to carry it personally, in hand ). Also I believe at a smaller overall size the parts' material choices are less critical due to smaller size and lighter weight. In other words the car would not need too exotic ( =expensive ) materials to be strong enough. So far I am very happy with it and I expect to take some time before I grow out of this one. As for 1/10 vs. 1/8 - the price would be at least 50% more for 1/8 RTR, while it would not buy me a whole lot more for a 1st time car.

Smok

( a happy new RC driver )