Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Damn Pull Start

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 05:46 AM
subsy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damn Pull Start

i have a rush evo and thought id give it a quick run as we have some compacted snow on my road which is a dead end so though i might get some drifts on.

No such luck, i went to start my nitro as normal pulling the starter cord and then it got really tight and now i cant pull it out of the casing at all, and the engine is not flooded at all, i tried undoing the glow plug and took it completley out and it was the same doe sthe mean i need a new pull starter?

i want to go for a roto start next time but have alread got the actual handheld bit with the shaft i just need the part that fixes to the engine, will any roto start fit?

thanks adam
Old 02-09-2007, 07:06 AM
DaveG55

Default RE: Damn Pull Start

It could just mean that the piston is stuck in the sleeve. Try turning the flywheel to free it up then heat the engine with a hair dryer before you try to start it again.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:43 AM
subsy

i was turning the flywheel this morning before i started it up and when i used to do it, it was really slack and the it would go tight as you turned it then when you push it past the tight spot it would pop as the piston goes up, but this morning i did it and it was just really slack
Old 02-09-2007, 08:53 AM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it goes through a tight spot when you turn the flywheel, but not when you tug on the pullstart then it's probably a slipping 1-way bearing in the pullstart mechanism. Remove the pullstart (carefully, watch out for the spring!) and give the 1-way bearing a blast of engine cleaner or wd-40 to clear out the oil and allow it to grip the shaft.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:59 AM
SAVAGEJIM

This is very true. If the one way bearing i slipping, it does not matter whether you start the engine with a pull starter or a roto starter. It will simply slip and not start at all. You can do one of two things: clean, repair, and/or replace the one way bearing or us a starter box (if your car can even be started by a starter box).
Old 02-09-2007, 09:45 AM
subsy

cheers for the replies guys, but the flywheel doesnt go through a tight spot when spinning by hand either what does this mean?
Old 02-09-2007, 09:58 AM
RCtruckRacer

Broken collet, loose flywheel nut, or toasted engine.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:07 AM
subsy

this is a long shot but could it be anything to do with the slipper clutch as i messed with this and then it never worked to full potential after, (only ran it once after messed with it)
Old 02-09-2007, 10:20 AM
snowbl!nd

Nope, the slipper clutch wouldn't prevent the engine from starting or turning over (they're not connected until the clutch engages at higher RPM)

Considering that the engine won't turn over properly using the pullstart OR by rotating the flywheel a snapped crankshaft pin would be my best guess... It's unlikely that the 1-way packed in at exactly the same time as the flywheel loosened on the crankshaft.

Time to tear that engine down!
Old 02-09-2007, 10:41 AM
subsy

SH*T
Old 02-09-2007, 03:20 PM
subsy

onli thing is it did the same months ago and left it (just ouldnt be bothered to mess about) and when i cam to use it today it pulled the cord fine the first couple of times then tightened up
Old 02-09-2007, 04:38 PM
snowbl!nd

So have you found out what's wrong with it? Might not be that bad....
Old 02-09-2007, 05:04 PM
subsy

put it in the cupboard lol, im gonna strip it down when its not so cold in the garage never done any engine striping and stuff so i know if i strip it all down ill never get it going again
Old 02-09-2007, 05:15 PM
subsy

just took glowplug out and turned the flywheel and the piston is not going up and down at all, absolutely no movement whatso ever does this mean that its the pin?
Old 02-09-2007, 05:37 PM
snowbl!nd

If the flywheel is turning the crankshaft (i.e not just slipping) then yeah the pin has probably snapped off...
Old 02-09-2007, 06:26 PM
subsy

how do you get the flywheel and clutch shoes off, iv got the engine in bits in front of me lol
Old 02-10-2007, 03:24 AM
snowbl!nd

You'll need to carefully pry the clutch shoes and springs off with a small screwdriver so you can get a socket in and remove the flywheel retaining nut.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:03 PM
subsy

ok the small pin part of the crank that goes through the conrod has broken! dont know why its only been started about 10 times in total. but how do i get the crank out? thnks for your help snowbl!nd
Old 02-10-2007, 01:21 PM
kingtuts
Banned

take everything off the shaft (flywheel, clutch eveything.) dicsonnect the conrod wich is already done cuz it broke. take off the back plate and slide the shaft through the back
Old 02-10-2007, 01:26 PM
snowbl!nd

(If you haven't already you'll need to get the flywheel off the crankshaft for a start and then remove the piston and sleeve - which you get at by taking the cooling head off. Slide out the sleeve, then pull out the piston - which should be easy as it's no longer conected to the crankshaft!

Once all the parts are out of the way and there is nothing blocking the crankshaft a firm tap on a block of wood on the end of the shaft should remove it.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:41 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

first take the cooling head off. then pull the sleeve out. Since that pin is broken on the crankshaft, just turn the engine upsidedown, and the piston should fall right out(do this on a towel). Next remove the clutchbell(unscrew it). Then you see the clutch shoes. take a flat-head screwdriver, put it under each shoe, and pry them up. they should come off without a fuss. After removing all the clutch shoes, you should see a nut that is hold the flywheel down. You must find some means of making sure the crankshaft won't turn over. Then unscrew the nut, pry the flywheel of with a flatblade screwdriver(if it doesn't come off on it's own.) Next remove the collet. If it doesn't slide off, take the flatblade, push into the slot on the collet, and you can just pull it off.

After this, just push the crankshaft, and it should fall right out. Tap if with a hammer if necessary
Old 02-10-2007, 04:13 PM
subsy

ok then guys this is what happened, the cranshaft pin if that what its called, the part that connects to the conrod was like only a quarter broken, it was just a bit broken off floating in the chamber so i took that out and cleaned all the grinded up metal out. I was goin to buy a new crank bought thought as its now turning over smoothly by hand and not grinding like before i cleaned it out, id try and put it all back to gether (not expecting it to really start) so got it all together all clean and took it outside just and it started within like 3 pulls. Its never done it that quick and the engine hasnt been running since may last year, so iv decide ill just run it ubtill it goes pop and then buy a new engin, what do you guys think?

P.S i foegot just how good these little things are untill i just had the smallest five minute session with it in the dark

thanks for all the help and advice guys, looke forward to hearing you opinions

Subsy
Old 02-10-2007, 04:53 PM
snowbl!nd

It may seem like a good idea, but if it suddenly gives while you're running the engine it could trash the entire engine instead of just a single part [X(]

If it were me i'd order a replacement and only run the broken part until the new one arrives...
Old 02-10-2007, 08:35 PM
Dokioto

ORIGINAL: snowbl!nd

It may seem like a good idea, but if it suddenly gives while you're running the engine it could trash the entire engine instead of just a single part [X(]

If it were me i'd order a replacement and only run the broken part until the new one arrives...
Wouldn't it be a better idea to just wait for the replacement part to come and not run it at all , so you wouldn't have any chance of it totally messing up his engine?
He said he was going to run it until it goes "pop" then buy a new engine so I guess it doesn't matter what he does.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:44 PM
subsy

lol basically im not too bothered if i screw the whole engine as im thinking of putting a new one in, i dont really want anything to powerfull but what can i put in it that will just give it a little more kick? dont really want to go .18 would prefer up to .15

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.