Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

A few problems...need help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2003, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few problems...need help!

I have a HPI Super Nitro RS4 Rally. I recently blew my stock engine (HPI .15 FE), and I had a HPI .15 SS from a car before this one thats in good condition. So I ordered the Flywheel needed (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXM759&P=7) and the collet needed (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXM719&P=M). I also order the HPI racing clutch and have it on the first setting for now. I put the stock clutch bell onto my SS. So here are my problems, When I started it up today it idled very high, how do I fix this? It idles so high that the car moves without me giving it throttle. Also, when I rev the engine it stays at high RPMs and wont come down, how do I fix this? Should I do anything because the engine hasn't been run since summer time?
Old 02-17-2003, 12:46 AM

Maybe its too lean. Also maybe you have the idle stop screw up too high. As for the clutch on the first setting it will engage in very low RPM's so you will have to keep the idle very low anyway. Look in the manual to make the idle stop screw lower, thats most likely your problem. Also if its been sitting since summer I suggest you do a mini break in of like 1/2 to one tank just to make sure everything is clean.
Old 02-17-2003, 12:53 AM

Thanx, When the snow clears out I'll do the mini break in, and adjust the idle screw. Do I need a hobby knife to cut the clutch to run on the second setting? Or will any sharp knife work?
Old 02-17-2003, 12:55 AM

When you said manual, did you mean the manual for the engine or the manual for car, in either case I don't have it. I can look it up on HPI's website right?
Old 02-17-2003, 12:57 AM

Also.. See if you can do this. to clean the engine.. Get it warmed up.. then richen it up a LOT. like 1/2 turn.

Then.. with the car off the ground.. revv it up a lot while measuring the temp. IT will hesitate since its running so rich. Revv it up slowly.. and eventually it will get pretty high even when its running so rich. I did this once to my car and it helped a LOT!
This may gunk up your glow plug tho...
-ram
Old 02-17-2003, 12:59 AM

I have an old one thats still decent (oh yeah I replaced my glow plug with a OS #4A glow plug) should I use that one instead?
Old 02-17-2003, 02:00 AM

I had an old 15FE sitting around and it wouldn't start, I looked inside it and there was all this milky white stuff inside the engine! If you feel comfortable with doing this take off the heatsink and make sure there are no particles in there, that would really hurt the engine.

And yeah you can find the manual on HPI's site. But for the idle screw just take off the air filter and disconnect the throttle arm from the servo. Lightly pull it to the close position on the carburator. Then screw the little screw next to the opening in or out while holding throttle arm. Screw it in or out until there is about a 1 milimeter opening in the carb. The little screw basically stops the carberator from closing anymore and if its set to high it will cause the carb to be too far open at idle.
Old 02-17-2003, 03:32 AM

Would the high speed needle need to be adjusted? Does the engine need to be started to adjust the high speed needle or the idle screw?
Old 02-17-2003, 11:42 AM

The engine needs to be COMPLETELY warmed up before you adjust the high and low speed needles....the idle screw you only have to start it to kinda gauge where it should be....but if you look at the carb opening at closed throttle it should be a 1 to 1.5 mm gap.
Old 02-18-2003, 05:50 AM

Do I screw the idle screw in or out to make it a smaller opening? I have it almost completely out and the opening still looks bigger than a 1.5 mm gap. But I cant run the car untill i get some money because the screw that holds the clutch bell on broke. I went to take off my clutch and set it on the second setting, and to cut it, but when i went to turn the screw to come off, the head just twised right off. And with very little effort. So I'm going to have to buy a new pilot shaft, screws, and the washers. totaling about 4 or 5 dollars, but I'm so broke I can't afford to pay for them
Old 02-19-2003, 12:37 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Default LOL

Broke...LOL

You need to get aquainted with the feeling of having empty pockets...lol
Or pick up a second job...lol

I suggest you try a few clicks over at the HPI site and find yourself some initial settings for that engine.

Clockwise closes the needles, counter clockwise opens them.

Needle settings are usually oriented in turns, such as 3 turns out, usually from an all the way closed position.

Dbow
Old 02-19-2003, 03:17 AM

I have no job to begin with...lol...all my money was from christmas, my bday, and chinese new years.