Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

RC pulling tractors?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 08:57 AM
green river rc
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC pulling tractors?

I'm gathering info on RC pulling tractors. There is a group in my area that has been pulling tractors for about 15-20 years but they are not RC. They make a gear box for a die cast tractor and run an Astroflight colbalt (can't buy anymore) motor for power, and use a 12V power supply. They are very nice looking machines but they have a guide wire to keep them on the track and have no throttle. Scale appearance in very important to them and it is written into the unwritten rules that they must look like a real pulling tractor, even the very inefficent tires they run.

I tried to explain to them about brushless motors and even nitro but they don't want to hear it, I'm told it's impossiable to drive one of these tractors by RC. They also told me an Astroflight motor has more power than any nitro engine, they have never even heard of brushless motors. I thought if I could gather info to show them and they would see RC is very possiable in a pulling tractor. I would love to build one but only if it's RC, the guide wire thing is kinda cheesey...IMO.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:42 AM
webdr

Default RE: RC pulling tractors?

I think you should should go "skunk works" and build one in brushless R/C form. Then, instead of explaining to them brushless, show them.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:46 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Yes there are people that do this and someone even makes sleds for this purpose for RC trucks. There is a video I think somewhere on RCU of a Savage pulling a sled.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:18 AM
green river rc
My Feedback: (2)

They have a very nice purpose built sled. I did hook my Savage .25 to it and made a great pull. The problem is that the sussension and tires are so soft it lost a lot of traction, screws up the hitch angle and such. I really smoked up the place and got some attention though.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:54 AM
webdr

Im suprised they let you do it. From what you said they sound like a bunch of older men stuck in their ways. Theres a couple of guys at my hometown flying field that fit that description. The reject what they dont understand.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:56 PM
INsavageXpuller

hey if u r looking into pulling we do it and we have a page if u go into the photos u will see the sled go to www.kmhobbies.com
Old 04-26-2007, 03:54 PM
MonkeyFist

Wow these guys sound like they live in a vacuum. I googled AstroFlight and all they seem to have now is brushless setups. Here is the home page:
http://www.astroflight.com/index.htm...wpHZG4jDk0i8M8

Everything listed is burshless. Some folks get so set in their ways that they can't even think that something new maybe better. Sad really.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:26 AM
nsaynracing

Hey Guys,
Check out http://wwpa4fans.com. This is the home page for the Weed Whacker Pullers Asscociation. We utilitize 33cc chain saw and weed eater engines in 1/5th scale R/C pulling trucks and tractors. The WWPA home page has a link to the rcpullingtractors message board (The Official Message Board Of The WWPA) that allows new comers to the sport to ask guestions and learn where to get some of the building materials to get started in this awesome sport. We have lots of photos of these beasts to help you decide what to get into. The WWPA home page also has our schedual of events so you can see for yourself what these machines are capable of. So "Log On And Get Hooked Up"
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11526.jpg
Views:	2748
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	715664  
Old 07-03-2007, 02:39 PM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

Check out this nitro pull. Pretty cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgtQcfpqBkA
Old 07-03-2007, 05:24 PM
Nitro212

ignorance is a bliss.. anything is possible now days
Old 07-05-2007, 07:06 AM
nsaynracing

Cool.... I wanna ride next. There may be 2 orginizations that truck could pull in. NR/CTPA and STPA.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:51 AM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: MonkeyFist

Wow these guys sound like they live in a vacuum. I googled AstroFlight and all they seem to have now is brushless setups. Here is the home page:
http://www.astroflight.com/index.htm...wpHZG4jDk0i8M8

Everything listed is burshless. Some folks get so set in their ways that they can't even think that something new maybe better. Sad really.
Doing things the old way does have an atmosphere of nostalgia, but when being set in one's ways becomes a hinderance and very impractical, the old ways must be upgraded or eliminated.

My point is if these guys are h3ll bent on using non-brushless motors and astroflight does not even make non-brushless anymore, how do these guys even keep their tractors running?
Old 07-20-2007, 10:38 AM
nsaynracing

Here's the link to rcpullingtractors.
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/rcpullingtractors/
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54661.jpg
Views:	10463
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	726899  
Old 07-20-2007, 12:26 PM