Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Savage X, MGT 4.6, or T-Maxx 3.3?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 05:36 PM
papa_wheely

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage X, MGT 4.6, or T-Maxx 3.3?

I've had a Traxxas E-Maxx and Stampede for a while now, and have had a blast with them. But now, I'm gettin' the itch for a nitro, and have been looking at the Savage X, T-Maxx 3.3, and the Monster GT 4.60.

I want an all around good truck, with:
-Super durability
-Good hill climbing power
-Semi-easy working platform
-Good for jumping

I've been mainly looking at the Savage and MGT 4.60, because I've seen videos an heard good things about their power and durability. I want a truck that does well on all terrain, grass, pavement, rocks, hard pack/loose dirt, rocks, etc... I like to drive fast and hard, and jump big jumps, a lot. What truck do you think would be best for my needs and driving style? I know they both have similar speeds but, what I'm really looking for, is all out torque.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, papa_wheely.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:46 PM
papa_wheely

Default RE: Savage X, MGT 4.6, or T-Maxx 3.3?

Is there anybody out there!
Old 04-27-2007, 02:50 PM
CTDave
My Feedback: (1)

the best bang for your buck and what you are looking for is the MGT,but I am bias as I am running 3 of them lol
Old 04-27-2007, 03:32 PM
R6-Dave

I have the old MGT ,T-Maxx and a Savage 25. Gotta say for general bashing the Savage is the most fun. The Maxx for speed and the MGT for going over big stuff.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:52 PM
KillerJato

Pound for Pound out of the 3 you listed the MGT is by far the superior truck. It has it all. The T-Maxx/Savage are both good trucks but tend to break more in my experience with them. The MGT would be my choice.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:48 PM
papa_wheely

Finally, some input. I was leaning more towards the MGT, because it's cheaper, bigger, and has reverse right out of the box (right?). I do a lot of heaving off-roading and going over big stuff, so I think the MGT would be a better choice for me.
Old 04-28-2007, 04:44 AM
CTDave

After you get it,there are a few mods you should do right out of the box.It will help the durability and performance and most are a freebie.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:25 AM
SFC K

MGT, You won’t be disappointed. I have the .21 version and feel that it has plenty of power for me. Haven’t really broke anything either.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:43 AM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

NONE of the above

Get a GST 7.7 or a LST2

The GST has TONS of Torque!
Old 04-28-2007, 08:47 AM
KillerJato

The MGT is a great truck, hope when you get your happy with it. Nitro is very different then electric so make sure you read the owners manual good and you should have many yrs of fun with it. If you have any ?'s with it just ask.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:26 AM
papa_wheely

ORIGINAL: JUCD VPR

NONE of the above

Get a GST 7.7 or a LST2

I looked at the GST 7.7, and I really liked it, but it's like what, 650 bucks?
Old 04-30-2007, 02:39 PM
flow41

GST with its big 7.7 engine it will kill you with the price on nitro + it runs 40 mph ****ty

LST2 just more junk from team losi

Savage X ss just more cheap overpriced stuff from HPI about $400 + controller and batteries

i would get the T-maxx 3.3 or a Revo 3.3
Old 04-30-2007, 03:18 PM
JUCD VPR

ORIGINAL: papa_wheely

NONE of the above

Get a GST 7.7 or a LST2

No way, you can get a brand spankin new one off e-bay from a reputable seller who gets them from hobby shops for $499.00 + shipping! Look around even more and i bet you can find a better deal!
Old 04-30-2007, 03:26 PM
JUCD VPR

ORIGINAL: flow41

GST with its big 7.7 engine it will kill you with the price on nitro + it runs 40 mph ****ty

LST2 just more junk from team losi

Savage X ss just more cheap overpriced stuff from HPI about $400 + controller and batteries

i would get the T-maxx 3.3 or a Revo 3.3
MY god where do you come up with this BS, you obvisouly know NOTHING about the above three trucks. Take your biased opinions elsewhere and stop throwing around bogus crap info that you know nothing about.
GST 7.7 I have one, completely fine on nitro fuel, yah it has a bigger engine so it used a little more fuel, psshh i don;t even notice that it uses more fuel, It'll CRUSH a T-maxx and beat a revo in a straight drag race at TWICE the revo's size and top speed is said to be 40-45. Out of all three THIS truck it my choice and my favorite, how do i know, i've owned all of those trucks so i speak from first hand experience!

LST2 - awesome truck PROVEN to be one of the top of the line MT's one the market, bash, or race and it's almost as big as a GST but not quite, PLUS thier fast. (bought one two weeks ago)

Savage X SS - Proven to be one of the top of the line MT's and an awesome basher! (sold it two weeks ago for the LST2)

Anyway don;t listen to the ignorance that some post in here, try to get well rounded UNBIASED opinions.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:12 PM
jmcn R

ORIGINAL: papa_wheely

No way, you can get a brand spankin new one off e-bay from a reputable seller who gets them from hobby shops for $99.00 + shipping! Look around even more and i bet you can find a better deal!
Did you mean to put a "5" before the 99...or am I missing something?
Old 04-30-2007, 07:06 PM
JUCD VPR

Hhaha no i mean a 4 for 499.00 sorry typo!
Old 04-30-2007, 07:40 PM
jmcn R

LOL...cool, really had me wondering there (wasn't trying to be a typo E-detective)

Can't go wrong with the MGT or Savy. Both have amazing bashing ability, but as somebody mentioned there is something a bit more fun to driving the Savage. Savage wins as well on parts availability and upgradeability. The MGT however seems to be able to take good abuse and keep ticking. I can also tell you that the MGT owners I have encountered have been fiercly loyal to them for years! That must say something. As to working platform, I know many people do not like working on the Savage while others like myself do. The X obviously as one of its strong points is even easier to work on quickly.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:41 PM
papa_wheely

Hmm... All these new posts get me thinking. I'm still leaning a bit more towards the MGT, because it's cheaper, bigger, and has reverse out-of-the-box.

Another truck I was looking at was the Tamiya TNX 3.0. I've seen some vids on it, and it seems to be strong, has good torque, and a nice long wheelbase for hill climbing. What do ya'll think of this truck? Or, should I just keep looking at the MGT and Savage? Oh, I forgot to mention, I also came across the Tower Terror, and I saw someone on here has it. I noticed it has a TVP chassis and a .25 engine, and the $300 price tag caught my eye. Any thoughts on these two other trucks?
Old 05-01-2007, 05:55 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Savage X SS nothing else compares.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:04 PM
CTDave

Take all of them for a test spin if you can.It comes down to what you like after all you have to live with the one you decide on so look them all over and go for it.I can make a bet it won't be the last one you get so just dig in and go for it.lol
Old 05-01-2007, 08:08 PM
papa_wheely

Well, the thing is, I can't test drive any of them. I just have to make my descision based on what you guys have to say.

Anyway, I came across the Losi Aftershock, which I have heard many good things about, for $330. Whaddya' think of this?