Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

CAN ANYONE PROVIDE INFO ON BUILDING AN RC OFFROAD TRACK?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

CAN ANYONE PROVIDE INFO ON BUILDING AN RC OFFROAD TRACK?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 09:00 PM
rodneykwalker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAN ANYONE PROVIDE INFO ON BUILDING AN RC OFFROAD TRACK?

There are no tracks for me to run my 8th scale buggy on, and im tired of the street. I love the buggy, and I love the track. I live in Kissimmee, and I have fould some land for sale. How would I go about buidling a track. In my mind, Id want it to be neat, and clean. Id want the red dirt, the black tube things that they use for walls I guess, green grass, and a just overwall inviting track with food for sale, a working rest room for people to wash there hands. Now, are there people that you can pay to deisng and build your track?
Old 04-24-2007, 10:08 PM
rcxboy

Default RE: CAN ANYONE PROVIDE INFO ON BUILDING AN RC OFFROAD TRACK?

If you want to pay someone (and i don't think there is such people who will have experience in RC tracks) to do that it will cost a LOT. As in thousands, easily.

To build a track, you really just have to rip up all the grass and then roughly shape out the jumps and berms with either a digger or a shovel (obviously doing it by hand takes a lot longer)... you might need a pickaxe too.... The black tubing is usually stormwater drain tubing, get it from your local building supplies center... As for the restroom and a driver stand, you'll either have to DIY (the best way imo) or get a builder...
Old 04-24-2007, 11:08 PM
Hack u 2

If it is a field start making a path with a lawn mower. Keep lowering the blade until you hit dirt. Or use a bob cat to lay the track path. You can buy Virtual RC or log on to the sight for layout ideas. Sounds like you already have an idea. I have seen tracks buy old box semi trailers and park them on land and cut out a big window for the drivers area. This puts you up so you can see the track. Alot cheaper than buying a deck plus you can advertise on the other side of the trailer. Your cost is in equipment for races. Telemetry gets expensive for software and use. Land is so expensive it's hard to keep this little proffit going. Eventually you will see $ signs and close and sell. Keep it a dream!Plus you will have to supply parts or subcontract out to hobby store. Very few people race or practice without a parts supply. And if you are far away from a store you will find it very impracticle for most. This is a brutal hobby and customers want the world even if you are the only track in town. Assume $10,000 for telemetry/computer. $500-600 cheap track set up!Cost of land? Since you will be outside average sunny days? $5-8 practice. $10-20 for races. How many people would use this track daily. Now insurance and liability? Parts? Better off making the track just for you. I use bike jumps that kids have built on paths or dirt ways. Good luck I hate to be down on your dream, however I thought the same thing way back and then the reality of costs hit. You don't realize you have to zone commercial and it gets way expensive.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:41 PM
Nick2618

What Jason said sounds true. You should see if you could get a lhs to help pay and maintain track. Also try to get track really close to lhs. Then it might work out good.

I want to tend the Rabbits George... LOL
Old 04-26-2007, 05:47 PM
nuclear

Whatever you do, don't give up. I'm basically in the same boat as you, but got some lucky breaks along the way. The biggest hurdle is getting the land. Here I lucked out because we have a local thriving flying club that was willing to alot us a portion of their land. My track area is 150 by 100 so it doesn't take much, but with that I can make a good sized track. You will also have to scrounge for materials and equipment. I was fortunate to get some drainage pipe donated from a local company (used) and borrow equipment but pay out of pocket for fuel. Through discussions with other track "pioneers" they advised me to start small and enthusiasts will show up and then it will grow from there. I'm not into it to make money, I just want a place to run my buggy without the neighbors complaining.
Another piece of advice was to not go crazy on jump sizes. You want to make it so that you can attract new hobbyists but if they are always breaking down, especially without a lhs close by, they won't come back. Take the time to plan--and then plan some more! Some things to consider are where the drivers stand is going to be in relation to the track--will the sun be in the drivers eyes most of the day? Where will people park? And the most important aspect when building the track is ensuring proper drainage of the racing surface. You'll want to be able to water it but you won't want a mud bog. Hope this helps.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:17 PM
s7jstep1

check out my "OFFICIAL TRACK BUILDING THREAD"