Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

tuning by temp

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 04:49 PM
companykid91

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tuning by temp

ok i just got a temp gun today and i was wondering where to take the temp from and when should i take the temp Ex. should i take it when it is just idleing or should i take it after i run it full throttle and if at full throttle how long should i run it at full throttle? should i take it from the top of the cooling head or the top of the glow plug or the side of the engine

thanks
Old 04-26-2007, 04:55 PM
SManMTB

Default RE: tuning by temp

Tune it so it runs good, temp it at the glow plug and use the number as reference. Never tune to get it to a certain temperature.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:59 PM
companykid91

it says not to run it over 230 degrees is that at full throttle
Old 04-26-2007, 08:09 PM
IARacer

That would be after some regular running. Drive around for a minute or two to get it warmed up. Once you have the engine tuned and running well, then you can take a temp reading to make sure you aren't getting too hot.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:49 PM
joelnazab

so if its over the temperature what do you do so its cooler i dont have a car yes but im getting the revo and i want to know
Old 04-26-2007, 11:53 PM
ad_mi_yo

richen the hsn to make it run cooler
Old 04-27-2007, 01:19 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tune for performance, not temp. Even if it runs a bit hotter than manufacturer suggested. The manufacturer gives a baseline in order to protect itself, if we all followed this, we wouldn't be getting top performance from our engines. In most cases, especially with the cheaper engines, under 300 is fine, eg 280 is not doing any harm, as long as there is SMOKE which means the engine is being lubricated.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:18 AM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once again. Do not tune an engine looking for a specific temp. Different engines run best at different temps. My RB likes about 230 while my force runs best at about 260. A temp gun is a guide only.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:04 AM
Nathan9492

ORIGINAL: SManMTB

Tune it so it runs good, temp it at the glow plug and use the number as reference. Never tune to get it to a certain temperature.
Correct, i always do that, but just use the Temp as a refrence
Old 04-27-2007, 09:00 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I agree with most tune for performance and then check temperature. I find I cannot tune to any curtain temperature as my engines might run fine one day at 230 and the next day do to weather changes runs best at 270 to get good performance. I have seen this change during the same day of racing from morning to afternoon. I like to try to keep mine between 220 and 280. To cool can heart your engine just like to hot.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:34 AM
DaveG55

I would like to reinforce what everyone has told you. A temp gun is a tool, not the be-all / end-all of tuning.
If you learn to tune for performance by listining to how the engine sounds, watching how the vehicle preforms and watching for a smoke trail you'll be a FAR, FAR better tuner than someone who tries to "chase a temp". Use the temp gun to check your engine from time to time but do not rely on it to tune your engine, believe me, you'll be a lot less frustrated and know about your rc that way.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:40 AM
RCtruckRacer

ORIGINAL: companykid91

WTH directions said that? What engine/vehicle are we talking about? That is just plain BAD advice. There is a very real possibility that you could be running super rich at that temp and be fouling glow plugs left and right. Its even remotely possible you could run too lean and lose compression. As everyone has said, tune for performance and not by temperature.

Old 04-27-2007, 08:25 PM
Dokioto

ORIGINAL: companykid91

Do you have a small scale truck... Like a 1/16 scale truck? Most nitro mini motors run that hot... But most bigger scale engines run hotter.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:44 PM
SAVAGEJIM

The first thing to do is to lean how to read the temp gauge orrectly. What I mean is that you must be able to point the sensor directly onto the hottest part of the plug. If you miss, your readings can be as far off as 50degrees F!

As far as tuning and keeping within a certain temp range, different engines will have different temp ranges that they operate best at (as was already said in so many posts above). The best thing you can do is find out what temp ranges other are running at for the same engine in question. Also, ask them the fuel and exhaust they run and if they keep all head shims in or which ones they remove/add.

To say an engine should be kept to 240degrees F is falacious and disregards at least three oher variables. To begin to find waht operating temp range your engine is best at, check the owner's manual and set your engine up accordingly.
Warning: Alot of engine manuals are totally wrong. take what they say with a grain of salt until you can get your engine to perform its best without burning it up.
If you feel the engine can go a little hotter for better performance give it a try but with caution. For example, the engine manual tells you to keep max temps below 230degrees F but the engine does not turn at high RPMs for the high pitch scream (30000+RPM). You can turn the needle to get the engine to get that scream. You also might find out that the engine temp range is more like 250degrees F. From there, remember that engine sound and the needle settings. Also, keep a mental note of that temp range. This is the engine performance you should tune for given ideal outdoor conditions.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:49 PM
joelnazab

aright so if i use the 20% top fuel what is a good temperature for the engine to run but it also has to throw out blue smoke wihich mean its being lubricated right?
Old 05-04-2007, 10:04 PM
Dokioto

ORIGINAL: joelnazab

aright so if i use the 20% top fuel what is a good temperature for the engine to run but it also has to throw out blue smoke wihich mean its being lubricated right?
Keep it around 240 degrees.. And yes, if it has a lot of smoke coming out of the pipe, it is getting enough oil.