Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

I suck at driving... HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 03:34 PM
musclecar64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I suck at driving... HELP!!!

Last season I got into this hobby racing a ofna ultra mbx comp, and sucked at driving. Now, I have a Kyosho MP 7.5 buggy, a novarossi r21bf 6 port engine, and a spektrum dx3 radio and still suck.[:@] My driving skills are pathetic. I couldn't stay on the track to save my life. I flip over and get marshalled about 8 times per lap! What can I do off the track to do well on the track. I know I need practice, but doing exactly what? My lack of driving skills is really pissing me off. I need some help and some tips for better driving before I go insane.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:02 PM
GYNAIKAS

Default RE: I suck at driving... HELP!!!

First of all calibrate your steering and throtle. Go to the track when there are not many others practicing. Start running at low speeds. Run 4-5 laps at half trottle speeds bun never more than that even when at straght line. This will help you understand the track. You'll see where car can go faster and where it should corner slower. After 8-9 laps you'll start calculating proper passing and corner speeds...then try this a bit faster. Learn to brake early at first and then you'll find out the exact brake point. But avoid much enthusiasm when mid throtle running cause you'll never learn...never hit full throtle. Slowly and patiently "read" the track and your car. Full throttle is not always the fastest way round...and try not to loose your driving rythm when someone overpasses you...it is a common mistace that everyone (including me) does even if he is experienced enough with racing.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:17 PM
mattnin

Default RE: I suck at driving... HELP!!!

There are a # of things you can try. First of all, the car has to be set up good. Cars with too soft front suspensions suffer from quick turning on and off power. So if you are barely giving it gas and the rear end wants to spin around to the front, stiffen up the front a bit and use heavier oil. Get the rear softer than the front too. That will make the car more stable. Let another guy drive your car and find out if it is handling good. The key is here stability. Try to get the car stable. If you are loose everywhere, fix it immediately. If you are loose on turn entry, fix it. If you are loose on corner exit, fix it. If you spin out coming into turns or spin out coming out of turns, fix it.

Also, you can try adjusting the exponential on your steering and throttle. What this does is dulls your inputs. This helps me a lot. If I find out I have a bit too much punch, I give a bit more negative exponential. Also, do you have traction control on your transmitter? Try turning that up a bit to give you a bit more stability. Also, you might want to add a bit of brake trim. This is a useful adjustment on high speed turns. Adjust the brake trim just enough where you don't have to press brake at all around high speed turns.

Also, finally. You can try another radio setup or a new radio. I know you just bought one, but something with a drop down wheel might help you get more comfortable. And if all else fails, maybe a stick radio is what you need. I found this out myself racing and not being able to control it just right. I went to a stick radio and I am much better now.