Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Getting into racing

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 10:35 PM
chrobar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting into racing

Hey guys, I used to be an all on basher, but then I decided to go to the track one day, and, well, it all changed. I got really excited about racing, but my RC ( traxxas nitro sport) is laughable as a racer. Anyway, I really want to get into racing, but I don't know what type of car to get to start racing. I really like off road, and I won't change. I wanted to get an MBX5T standard kit and good electronics, but I think it might be too expensive to start out racing. I like bigger trucks, but I guess I can change. My biggest problem is my car breaking all the time, and honestly, I almost never crash badly. So thats why I want something durable and something that can be raced and is popular with the pros. I really like building what i would race, and it would be over all cheaper in the long run. So anyway, I've been researching for about half a year now, and I was sooo close to buying the Mugen until I saw how much it would cost me. Are there any suggestions about what class of racing I should get into?
thanks a lot
Old 04-29-2007, 11:06 PM
giddyuperic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Getting into racing

Do you want name brand stuff or something to get you into racing for less then the name brand stuff? You could try and go to VTX. COM They have a 1/8 scale buggy and truggy for really good price and the will keep up with the big boys with only with swaping out the servos and the radio. But there are somany to go with it's up to you and what you want to spend. I race all the time and I drive a 1/8 buggy from Himoto and a 1/8 truggy from VTX and I am keeping up with the name brands. It's all up to you.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:07 AM
happywing

If you go too cheap you will regret it...especially for racing. It's simple, race what works for others if you want a fair chance. For monster truck racing, you can't do much better than the Revo. It's the top racer with the pro's. If you decide to go 1/8 buggy, the MBX5R is a great choice. The other race buggies are the Kyosho 777 and Losi 8ight. On a budget, I would consider the Jammin'.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:39 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: happywing

If you go too cheap you will regret it...especially for racing. It's simple, race what works for others if you want a fair chance. For monster truck racing, you can't do much better than the Revo. It's the top racer with the pro's. If you decide to go 1/8 buggy, the MBX5R is a great choice. The other race buggies are the Kyosho 777 and Losi 8ight. On a budget, I would consider the Jammin'.
+1. If you want to race, get a 'racing' car. The Jammin is a good platform (2 placed in the top ten of the worlds last year), as is the Xray XB8R, both are reasonably priced, and good cars out of the box.

The absolute cheapest way to start racing (1/8th buggies) is to get a Hyper 7 TQ (as a kit if you can still find them).
Old 04-30-2007, 04:13 PM
chrobar

Alright thanks for the replies, I know about the different brands, jammin, mugen, associated, etc. I really want to know which type of RC car would be good to get into, like monster truck, truggy, buggy, stadium truck, etc.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:34 AM
MonkeyFist

That easy. Just look what classes are being run at your local track. Pick which one you'd like to get into and take the plunge. One word of advice is that almost all tracks have a minimum limit n the number of cars needed for one class. If you pick a class that only a few guys run and people drop out of that class you may be left with nobody to race with. Pick what seems to be a popular class that way you have a good chance of running racing every time there is a meet.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:11 AM
Hack u 2

Budget does not make a racer. Skill will take you a long way. So what, you will not be the next ROAR champion. I have thousands of dollars in cars. You can not buy a win. I have been beaten by young kids and old men. So what. Race for the fun. I like the stadium class. Lots of fun and tons of different options. You already have a car to enter and race. If it is that laughable buy a new body and through on associated or losi stickers on it. Race now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-01-2007, 03:29 PM
chrobar

Well...my track has A LOT of 1/8 scale buggies, and a lot of truggies, those are the biggest classes. 10 mains of buggy and about 5 for truggy. Now i guess i have to decide between buggy of truggy????? I hear that buggies go through tires the fastest, is that true? I like truggies a lot more because well they just look cool to me, and I like big trucks. Thanks a lot guys.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:09 PM
whoajoe

Buggies do go through tires faster, at least at my local track (hard-packed on switch's). If you like truggies and there is plenty of competition at your track, then get that.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:41 PM
chrobar

alright, it looks like my next purchase, this summer hopefully, will be an MBX5T. Well..I still have time to think about that. Thanks guys..any more opinions?