Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

How Much Money Can You Make From Owning A RC Offroad Track?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

How Much Money Can You Make From Owning A RC Offroad Track?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 08:13 AM
rodneykwalker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Much Money Can You Make From Owning A RC Offroad Track?

Ive been thinking seriously about building an offroad track, possibly indoor in orlando or kissimmee florida. I love my buggy, but im tired just running it back and forth, since there is no track around here to practice or race on. I might as well get me a Monster Truck and have fun with it so i can run it in the grass and over stuff. Anyway, Do you think its possible to make money from a track? What do people charge to practice at tracks, and race. How much square footage would I need for a huge track, i mean one of the biggest around? I found a brandnew warehouse that has 3000 SF for $2000 a month, but im wondering could i make that with a track.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:32 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: How Much Money Can You Make From Owning A RC Offroad Track?

charging 20 bucks a shot (basically when racers arrive, charge them 20 bucks and they can stay until closing, charge 30 for race admittance on sundays) you should get plenty of interest and you'd only need 100 visitors a month. You have to factor in the cost of building the circuit too though, and buying trophies to give to winners. Get a sponsor interested and you should be fine.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:04 AM
blktransam

20.00 for practice!! and 30.00 for racing?!?! are you joking...I havent been to a track YET that charges more then 15.00 to race....and that was at lesuire hour. in IL and had over 125 entrys....so its a very nice track indeed...at the local tracks 5.00-7.00 for practice and 10.00-12.00 to race I would laugh in your face if you tried to charge me 20.00 to practice or 30.00 to race unless it was a national event or some decent money race I dont think you will get very many ppl. with them prices

ALOT of tracks dont make very much money they make their money on parts and food/drinks etc etc
Old 05-03-2007, 09:49 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should live in europe bud. That would be cheap here. don't believe for one second everything's like it is in america. Obviously I don't know what it's like over there either.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:58 AM
RCtruckRacer

The best way to make $1,000,000 is to start with $2,000,000. Seriously, tracks do NOT make money. You have two choices from my perspective: Own the property the track sits on - and have enough space to have at least a small hobby shop, and several rental spaces (strip mall) generating cash flow to cover the majority of your expenses.

Or, have a multi-use facility much like the new track in Phoenix at Speedworld.

3000sq ft is not near big enough for a small track much less a large one. 50' x 60'? A big track is like The Farm II, which is about 150' x 250'. My club's track is 140' x 80', so to have that track indoors would require AT LEAST 15,000sq ft. Plus room for pits, storage, RD/computer stand, drivers stand...

Then there's the pesky matter of a business licence, insurance, city codes (you're going to be making a lot of noise, generating traffic, too many things to list), parking, ventilation & EPA concerns.... You'll need an attorny for a lot of this crap.

Good Luck!!!
Old 05-03-2007, 10:13 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

You have to have a LOT of support to keep a tack open. Not trying to bust your bubble but I have seen many tracks come and go. Do not forget the cost of insurance to cover your backside. Here in Georgia club races are $15 to $20 and series races anywhere from $30 to $40. Practice $5 to $10. Now if you have an indoor track I would think you could get more. You should be able to make it pay for its self but as far as making money make sure you have a real job.

Most track around here spend between $3,000 and $5,000 a year for up grades and changes and this is with racers helping out lots of times.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:52 PM
cheech4

WOW THATS EXPENSIVE, my house in florida when i go has free all day practice every day and a race every other week for 10$ and they give trophies, here are some track pics of the off road dirt track.....

[img] [/img]

[img] [/img]

[img] [/img]
Old 05-03-2007, 02:36 PM
rodneykwalker

what do you think the square footage of that track is in the pics, or how do they measure tracks. I really dont want to make any money off the track, just want to be able to have the bills covered. The other problem is, how do i get land, and dont i have tl lease the land from someone? Is there free land out there? If i cant find a track, im selling all 4 of my cars, 2 buggies, and 2 electric trucks
Old 05-03-2007, 03:07 PM
cheech4

i found 2 tracks that you can run your buggies and electrics on that are under 30 miles from you. there one in coral springs about 30 miles from you here is there web site www.csrcraceclub.com , guy name tim runns it.
then you have fort lauderdale about 15 miles from you this is there web site ci.ftlaud.fl.us/cityparks/mills_pond/index.htm , and there number 954-525-3304. 2 tracks for you to race in.... i wish i had that here in NY, but every single track is over an hour from me, and theres one track about 30 minutes from me but i have to pay for a bridge and thats 10 bucks not worth it for me.

I will rac when i get to florida this weekend, i have a house in tampa and the nearest track for me is 6 miles away, yay
Old 05-03-2007, 03:32 PM
rodneykwalker

thanks for your try, but both those tracks are much farther than that lol. The Mills Pond one, I used to run at that becauase i lived not to far from it. That track is about 3 hours away
ORIGINAL: cheech4

i found 2 tracks that you can run your buggies and electrics on that are under 30 miles from you. there one in coral springs about 30 miles from you here is there web site www.csrcraceclub.com , guy name tim runns it.
then you have fort lauderdale about 15 miles from you this is there web site ci.ftlaud.fl.us/cityparks/mills_pond/index.htm , and there number 954-525-3304. 2 tracks for you to race in.... i wish i had that here in NY, but every single track is over an hour from me, and theres one track about 30 minutes from me but i have to pay for a bridge and thats 10 bucks not worth it for me.

I will rac when i get to florida this weekend, i have a house in tampa and the nearest track for me is 6 miles away, yay
Old 05-03-2007, 03:45 PM
ptarp

My club charges nothing for practice and $12 for races. I don't think you'll make money with a track alone. You'd have to use the track to attract people to another business.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:12 PM
cheech4

ORIGINAL: rodneykwalker

thanks for your try, but both those tracks are much farther than that lol. The Mills Pond one, I used to run at that becauase i lived not to far from it. That track is about 3 hours away
ORIGINAL: cheech4

im going by what area it says your from. where exactly you live i dont know. b
Old 05-03-2007, 05:29 PM
blktransam

yeah I have 3 tracks within 20 mins one is 5 mins one is like 13 min and the other is about 22 mins away....and have a good handful with in a hr-hr1/2 drive and lesuire hours is about 2 1/2 hrs but worth the drive once a mth
Old 05-03-2007, 07:46 PM
KillerJato

My track charges $6 to pratice and $10 to race. Then once every month there is a big money race for $15, it's about a hr from me.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:34 AM
MonkeyFist

Heres what you do you make it a membership deal. Shell out $20 bucks a month for a membership, then practice sessions of 3-4 hours in length cost 5-6 bucks, plus a discount on race entry. If you are a non member then you have to pay more for sessions same with racing. Members get privleges that non member don't like voting on new track layout and other things. If you can open it indoors and make it available anytime people would be more agreeable to paying for a membership. An outdoor track is only as good as the weather lets it be. I agree that you do need some sort of parts support at the track. One thing you could do is talk to your LHS and ask if they would promote your track, in return you'd sell their parts at your track, maybe even get a cut of the profits. Its a win-win for them and you, they get another outlet for parts sales at a place where people will be breaking parts, and you get advertisement at a place where people who'd use your facility will go anyway. Another thing you can consider to earn some extra money is vending machines for food and soda. Good return on investment there. I'm trying to set something up like this in CA. I'll be doing indoor electric touring cars and drifting, that way I can get away with smaller spaces. Remember where there is a will theres a way.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:28 PM
drevil
My Feedback: (5)

The local hobby shop around here charges $1-$3 for practice, and around $15 to race I believe. I'm not there on a daily basis, but I'm certain they don't get anywhere near enough racers to pay $2000 rent. Besides that I believe more money is in replacement parts, batteries, spec motors, tires, etc. If you were really serious about this then the best plan would be to also have a hobby shop on site.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:40 PM
Nick2618

Quote: Monkey fist

Another thing you can consider to earn some extra money is vending machines for food and soda. Good return on investment there.
I know at least for resturants pepsi and coke fight for the spot to sell there soda. If you get a foutain soda is cheap to buy and you can sell it for a decent price. Also the soda company will give you coolers, menu boards, signs, all shorts of stuff. All you would have to do is put up some signs and sell there soda. Do not know how much they would give to a rc track, But at least you can see if they are willing to do anything.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:07 PM
nicholcgn
My Feedback: (1)

Tracks are expensive. You want to work with a county parks department for the land. It just takes a lot of time to set up. You can come over to Daytona beach and run. The place is on strickland range road. We run 1st and 3rd for off road. Onraod is 2nd and 4th. Look up the website.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:07 PM
chocolateman

I think you should charge 5-6 bucks for a 3 hour practice, $20 for monthly membership, and 15 dollars for racing, plus have a little place where you can rent some for the track.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:15 PM
Sacagawea

Orlando florida and Kisseme area is a good spot to have a track, just thought you should know, I live about 3 hours away from there so im up there often, and if ur going to have a track there don't have it smack dap in the city where all the tourist go(Internatoinal dr. for example) they just are there for vacation they dont have any rc's on hand and if you are gonna have a mini hobby shop along with the track you definetly don't want it in a tourusty area like that because everyone there like i said are on vacation and they dont want to buy hundred dollar rc's, they just want T-shirts and little suvinear nick-nacs, but orland has alot of people there and not as much tourist as Kisseme so somewhere there I think would be a good spot. Iv'e seen many shops come and go in those Kisseme places, I guess the only way to make a living there is to sell the cheap stuff. lol.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:22 PM
ae racer
My Feedback: (4)

My track has free practice and $12 race entry, $8 for additional entrys, $15 for 1st $10 for 2nd, $5 for 3rd. Its a really nice track and the main way they make money is the parts and trucks they sell in the HS.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:16 PM
hrdcoreglf

I was able to find an offroad track in orlando online. The name of the track is Boggy Creek R/C Raceway. However the number with that listing was a wrong number. I live in south florida and go to orlando alot so I was looking for a track.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:50 AM
unluckylonestar

dude i live on daytona bch we have one track here and is sucks but the guy who runs it put it on county land and a little park with baseball fields in it I wonder if you could get the county i envolved in something like thatdont sure how he did it though
http://www.daytonarc.com/