Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Vintage Car Help (Stinger)

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 10:22 AM
cphinney

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vintage Car Help (Stinger)

I have a 1987 Kyosho Stinger Nitro 4wd chain drive car.

The buggy was my brother in law's when he was a kid. My wife was also into RC (electric) when she was young. About 5 years ago she went to the family house and brought home the box of RC (4 cars in various states all from late 80s). I was interested in the nitro car and after some minor cleaning and unseizing of the engine I got it running at had a blast with it. We had to put our stuff in storage for a few years and I just unpacked the RC box this week.

Got a new glow plug and some fuel, charged up the ignitor, got a new spinner insert and viola she runs again. Once I confirmed that the motor runs well (OS z1??) I thought it would be nice to run it on a limited basis. The buggy seems like it is in great condition but I dont have experience with RC other than what I have learned recently and radio shack crap cars when I was a kid.

There was a 1/4 inch of grease / dirt on everything. So I have disassembled the car, cleaned everything and reassembled. There wern't even any leftover parts I ran the engine to get it nice and hot and to make sure any water left would be evaporated.

So now I have a nice and clean car that runs great but before I go take it out I need some help. If all that grease was all over the botom pan and the underside of the body, it must have come from somewhere... lol. so the first bit of advice / help is where to lubricate and with what?

The other bit is regarding replacement tires. I went to a local shop that has a lot of stuff. Unfortunatly the car is older than the guy who I showed it to. He says there are no tires avaliable for the rims and that changing them would be a bad idea. So are their tires avaliable and where can I get em?

Here is what she looks like. Besides some paint gone from the body and some very worn tires it is pretty origional and stock.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:20 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Vintage Car Help (Stinger)

Sorry I do not have any of the links handy but there pare RC collectors and people that sell obsolete parts. If I was you I would put it back in primo condition and then only run it on rear occasions.

Try a search on the net.

If you will post pictures of the one you have with and with out the body!
Old 05-03-2007, 11:51 AM
TIGER76

Have a look at ebay and tamiya club for parts and you could change the wheels as long as there near enough the same size [sm=thumbup.gif]
you will need wheel adapters tho to convert to newer wheels but you may find some parts on those places i put i see alot of Kyosho parts on tamiya club site [8D]
Old 05-03-2007, 11:55 AM
TIGER76

some more info here
[link=http://www.rcchopshop.com/kyosho/kyoshomanuals.html]http://www.rcchopshop.com/kyosho/kyoshomanuals.html[/link]
Old 05-04-2007, 08:04 AM
cphinney

So any suggestions on what lubricant to use and where on this thing?

and are 1/10th tires all the same? I am not sure what to look for to replace the tires? I found for instance a lot of tires for something called an OPTIMA that look kind of like the STINGER ones but I am not sure if they will fit on the wheels?
Old 05-04-2007, 08:29 AM
TIGER76

Yep sure OPTIMA was made by Kyosho not sure about straight fit though may need an adapter,not too sure on the lub tbh better asking the nitro guys about that
Old 05-04-2007, 08:37 AM
nitro _ burner

i know that when you leave stuff for a long time they can leak/loose thier fluids, eg air filters, chain, ball bearings, diffs, etc etc. so look at any thing that is supposed to have somthing in it, i hope you remembered what you cleaned and weather it was greased up or not.
Hope this helps. Good luck[8D]
Old 05-04-2007, 10:33 AM
Neil E

Go to the Kyosho Club site and locate a manual or try [link=http://rcdocuments.com/]Here[/link] for the manual. That will help with the lube question. I would keep it as original as possible. Fire it up once and a while and putt around with it. Save it as a shelf queen. It is worth money to a collector more if it is original. Look on Ebay for parts and if any are for sale for comparison.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:04 AM
stingerrevo
My Feedback: (19)

I have the manual i downloaded on my computer if you would like message me with your email and i will send it to you. I believe it is the manual that came with the car. I was able to find some parts and stuff for the car on ebay i have one to and it runs also. If you have any questions feel free to message me at [email protected].