Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

The Birth of a Backyard Track

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 11:20 PM
r1nsho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Birth of a Backyard Track

I dont no how to up load pics or i'd show ya the progress so far. well may be figured it out. be for and after tilling. it needs till 1 maybe 2 more times. I'm going camping this weekend but the weekend after I'm hoping to have it finished.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60123.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	1011068   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx74028.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	1011069   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw59350.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	1011070   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bu57802.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	1011071  
Old 08-17-2008, 02:02 PM
offroadjunkie

sorry for the quality of this pic (i'll try and get better later)...my cheap lil digicam has to be held perfectly still when shooting a moving object,we were losing light fast and my 6 year old snapped the pic (and not showing it may would hurt his feelings)...unfortunately,it's the only camera i've found (well,the best of several cheapo ones) that'll work w/ our last century pc.

anyhoo,at least you can get the idea the fun we've been having w/ the jump we built using the techniques we learned here (thanx again ob1n!).it's not all dirt,we used 2 bald tires for filler.that's our semi-stock evader ext (we really need 2 more trucks soon...3 kids-jamie nick and me,the dad-sharing/taking turns kinda sucks[&:]).

Name:	Fc90498.jpg
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	1013371  
Old 08-17-2008, 03:15 PM
calvino

now all it needs is a landing jump , ya, filler can come in handy if it is "far enough in" the jump, only time filler comes back to "haunt you" is when you go to remove it, filler can be a PAIN [:'(]
Old 08-17-2008, 09:50 PM
ob1n
My Feedback: (14)

Good idea with the tires for filler! Last a long time, doesn't rot and invite insects like the wood I used. Although, I haven't had any termites/insects yet. Of course, this area isn't known for them.

As for your problem of having enough vehicles, I know exactly what you are talking about. However, hang in there.....before you know it, you'll have more than you ever thought you would have. Currently, I'm trying to get my EMaxx back together and whooped into shape. Also, I have a few Stampedes that need some repairs....as well as my boys' Blackfoot Extremes.

Thanks for your posts and feel free to keep em coming as long as it helps anyone else about building tracks from scratch and then show em off!

Ob1n of RCU
Old 08-17-2008, 10:15 PM
calvino

tomorrow i will try and get pics of our track up, its nothing "wow' but it should make for some fun racing
Old 08-17-2008, 11:10 PM
offroadjunkie

ob1n,yeah,i remember how they start adding up fast...last time i was in the hobby,i was still 48 state trucking,and would stop in every hobby shop i could find...amazing how many of em have a used section...they can start taking up parking space quick when you have a decent budget and the wife don't mind cause she feels sorry for ya being gone all the time

calvino,can't wait to see it!it may be next weekend before i get to log back on tho.my last job gave me every other week off (all but that thursday),and i got use to being online almost every day...i'm having withdrawell symptoms.i'll definately be checkin to see it tho!
Old 08-23-2008, 10:47 PM
offroadjunkie

argh....my dang dog (man's best freind...not rc track's best freind) dug out one side,all the way to the tire/filler...sigh.need more dirt,but i think i've sold my pick-em-up truck-doh![:@]
Old 08-23-2008, 10:49 PM
calvino

ok, to lazy to get pics up, yep, ive heard of doggie goin "ooh nice ill dig my way though", haha, we have a cat that loves to hang around our house, it mmm "uses" my dirt pile sometimes [:'(][:@], ya, fun stuff, anyone got tips for compensating for my heavy clay soil, i got 2 bags of "washed graded sand" for mixing in with the soil, i did a test and my soil is about 90% "pure" clay, so it cracks all the time, i was thinking of sand but i have yet to see how much it will work[&:]
Old 08-24-2008, 10:30 AM
ob1n
My Feedback: (14)

Yeah.....my dog has found a few spots as well. But, usually, she'll leave the track alone if it's dry. But, if I wet it down too much or the day after a good rain.....look out! In fact, I've incorporated one of her 'digs' into my track. She made a hole on one side of the track and piled the dirt on the other side. So I just formed it up a little better and made a choice of either hitting the jump or ditch in that area.

If you don't want your dog diggin.....you just have to watch them closely when the dirt is 'fresh'.......they seem to know when you've just tilled/hauled in new dirt. I have more problems with the kids diggin holes/dumping the dirt on the sidewalks/etc. then I do with the dog!!!!! Anybody got an humane ideas to keep the kids at bay?......electric fences?....land mines?!?!?!?!.....anyone?!?!?!

As for your sand idea, Calvino, I'd say that is the best thing I can think of to help 'loosen' up clay. Perhaps any kind of mulch(grass clippings/leaves/etc.) might help as well? I the mulch has helped a lot with my dirt. Which is mainly very, very small sand around here.

Laters

Ob1n of RCU
Old 08-24-2008, 01:43 PM
calvino

ya, when i did a simple soil test, i had this THIN layer of silt, rest was clay, no sand was present [:'(], i will mix in some leaves and sand to the soil, i will start tilling up the lanes before the rainy season hits, so i can maybe get it softer, because i swear, if you got a hunk of it, and thew it at someone, um, it'd HURT, my other problem is every time i make a jump..... it CRACKS like crazy, crumbles.... ok, will mix sand and leaves in , hope a zillion weeds don't pop up, oups, thats what my nitro is for
Old 08-24-2008, 07:28 PM
offroadjunkie

ORIGINAL: calvino

ok, to lazy to get pics up, yep, ive heard of doggie goin "ooh nice ill dig my way though", haha, we have a cat that loves to hang around our house, it mmm "uses" my dirt pile sometimes [:'(][:@]...
nope,camera batts were dead[:@],here's a pic...man,kitty-kat land mines...eeeyuck!!!

Name:	Mk24877.jpg
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	1018679  
Old 08-24-2008, 07:41 PM
offroadjunkie

well,i finally got around to surveying the spot for a track (behind my shed) i had mentioned.it's 47'x25' (i could get probly another 10-15' legnth,or 4-8' width with my dad's tractor or a bobcat...but it's very highly unlikely i'd have access to either).all the c rap you see,the 1/2 a building and the ancient tin shed and such will hafta be torn down and moved...which i want to do this fall anyways,when it gets dramatically cooler,the whole area is a snake haven (i know there are some copperheads there[>:]).

i was thinking of basically an "E" shaped track,w/ the long strait prallel to the creek (this part of the E...>E).it's simple,and should be easy to build/maintain (relatively speaking[sm=bananahead.gif]

Name:	Sq47819.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	1018691   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89964.jpg
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	1018692   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99161.jpg
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	1018693   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz73336.jpg
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	1018694  
Old 08-25-2008, 12:50 AM
calvino

"should be easy to mantain" UNDERSTATMENT , its not as easy as it looks keeping a track up, i can say that much, do start small, its much better than "ya ill make some acre large track and i can't keep it up", if you got help.... do it, if not, stick small , ooh, and watch for snakes
Old 08-25-2008, 01:29 PM
offroadjunkie

hey,i said "relatively speaking"-lol
yeah,i know theres at least 1 copperhead nest in there somewhere,it's why i'm gunna wait till cold weather for the clearing out phase,then start building when next year's warm weather hits.lol,and small's really all i gots room for from the looks of it.i have almost 9 acres,but the house/yard/driveway takes almost 3,the rest is wooded and my short 3-4 miles long loop trail for mtn biking (that's fairly easy to maintain,just keep sapplings out =P)...next year,i'll also be greatly extendeing that onto my neighbor's/relative's property-w/ permissin,BTW-so that should be kool too =).

lol,the dog had other things to do last night besides digging out the tire/filler...apparently there was this gang of thug-life possums (couldn't resist) terrorizing the night,he fought n killed 2 of em (spent the day at the vet today,having him checked,tho there've been no rabbid scares this year...he didn't have a scratch on him).so i burried those guys (would tend to stink otherwise=P)...i have a decent idea where he'll concentrate on digging next =P
Old 10-13-2008, 05:40 AM
Pecanpatch

I built a Drivers stand for my Git-ir-done off road track..... cost me around $400........
track is Fast and Fun! This is Revo Country right here

Name:	Bz77399.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	1050763   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42028.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	1050764   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zf87813.jpg