Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

HPI SAVAGE VS DURATRAX WARHEAD EVO VS TRAXXAS REVO & TMAX?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

HPI SAVAGE VS DURATRAX WARHEAD EVO VS TRAXXAS REVO & TMAX?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 03:09 PM
rodneykwalker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPI SAVAGE VS DURATRAX WARHEAD EVO VS TRAXXAS REVO & TMAX?

im about to buy a truck today because there are no tracks around, and im tired of running my 8th scale buggy back and forth in the street. I need some direction and opinions. They have all 4 of these trucks at the hobby shop, and im ready to have some fun for once. Which truck should I get. I want the most durable, fast, and stable truck out of all these. This guy told me he had both traxxas trucks and that they both broke and he got a savage, and he loves it much better. I wont be headed to any tracks by the way, just fun in the dirt and grass in the area. I really like both the savage and the warhead, but it seems the traxxas is most popular. I also like the duratrax warhead because of its shiny steel look, and the savage just looks plastic.

As far as the savage, i like how big the shocks are, thats about it.

Which has the fastest motor?

Does the traxxas handle better because of its race truck style?

Please give me input guys before the shop closes at 8Pm tonight
Old 05-10-2007, 03:51 PM
-Brian

Default RE: HPI SAVAGE VS DURATRAX WARHEAD EVO VS TRAXXAS REVO & TMAX?

For bashing purposes, I think the Savage is your best bet. It is extremly durable and I think its the fastest out of all those trucks. Would you be getting the Savage X SS or the RTR?
Old 05-10-2007, 07:28 PM
ARevoPro

I have a Revo and have yet to have a single problem with it and love it everytime I run it. It is also a very versatile truck. You want to race it? You can, and dominate too. You want to bash it? You can do that too. So, so ,so many upgrades too. No disappointment.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:58 PM
alvinm

Your just down the road from me, I'm in Pines. Theres a bunch of construction sites off of Miramar parkway and red road

If you can wait until the new savage 4.6 comes out (late may) that would be your best bet. Its faster and more durable...total package. I'll be waiting for one myself.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:10 PM
KillerJato

Revo - the best handling and the fastest
Savage - bashing
T-maxx - don't get one
Warhead - not to experience with it.

I have had 3 out of the 4, i like the Revo best by far, but some will tell to get the savage, so take your pick.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:07 AM
rodneykwalker

well guys, i picked the Warhead. Let me tell you why. First, Im not to much looking for speed, if thats what i wanted then i would just keep driving my buggy. I just wanted something that i could drive anywhere, grass, big chunks of dirt, or anywhere. As far as the tmaxxas, i had a couple people tell me that they break easily, and then when i was in the store, this guy told me he has had both tmaxxas, and they both just broke apart, and he bought a savage, so that puth the tmaxxas out.

Now, i was at war in the store for about an hour, an then i bought the savage, but when i got home, i just didnt feel right about my decision, so i started doing more research, and this is what i came up with.

SAVAGE GOODS AND BADS:

Good:

- Fast
- Powerful
- Durable
- Double Air Filter

Bad
- Tips over alot
- Smaller Gas Tank
- Looks Cheap

WARHEAD

Good

- The Side Mounted Roto Start hole
- Aluminum Exaust
- Aluminum Look all over
- Huge Gas Tank
- Wider & Longer than the Savage for less flipping over
- Comes with Reverse
- 90 % Upgradable to Aluminum

Bad

- Less Power
- Hard To Work On (Does Not Bother Me)
- Single Airfilter

In the end, I had lot more reasons why I liked the Warhead, now its time to put it to the test and see how I like it. My main thing to me was that although I made have to upgrade to get more power which is fine, the Warhead just looks like a more stable monster truck to me. Its longer, and wider, and my biggest thing is if its called a monster truck, then it should stand on its feet. The Savage is powerful but when you look at it you can already feel in your mind this thing is going to tip alot.

I believe these are good facts for anyone seeking a stock truck right out the box, if you want speed go with the Savage, other than that go with the warhead.

Your comments would be appreciated...
Old 05-11-2007, 10:13 AM
alvinm

Did you take into consideration availability of parts? Not sure if Warricks or any other hobby stores carry that many duratrax parts. You will need them.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:13 AM
ARevoPro

Check out this page! Should have gotten a Revo.

[link]http://www.traxxas.com/products/nitro/revo/trx_revo_trucks.htm[/link]
Old 05-11-2007, 02:57 PM
alvinm

He wanted a large truck, the revo is even smaller then the savage......
Old 05-11-2007, 04:12 PM
KillerJato

the warhead will be just fine. duratrax is very underrated and you can find parts pretty easy regardless of what anyone says.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:49 PM
rodneykwalker

I bought this thing not even 24 hours ago, and have encountered a major problem. I was doing the break in process, and once i got to the 3rd tank, there is a problem everytime i break. Now, this problem starts once you drive the car for a few minutes, or once it warms up only. The problem is that when i hit the breaks, it sounds like there are a bunch of gears tearing up. Really loud, and now, the problem has moved into just taking my hand off the throttle without breaking. Very lound, crunching noise. I have no idea what it is, called duratrax and they said they have no idea what it could be and that id have to send it back, and thats totally out of the question, id break it in half before i wait to have this thing fixed cause im pissed. Talked to the hobby shop and they say bring it in and they will take a look at it, but i feel there gonna give me some **** like they need to keep it. When i put the truck in reverse, i dont have this problem at all. This thing is driving me crazy, and now its like adjusting the breaks on its own, and a few minutes ago, it hit the breaks on its own so hard the truck flipped. Please please help
Old 05-11-2007, 06:54 PM
ARevoPro

ORIGINAL: alvinm

The savage is only 9mm longer but 10mm shorter(height) than the Revo. I'd say that isn't even a noticable difference. Especially not enough to try to defend the savage for being larger. Next time you may do the research before you post. I think the savage is a great truck too but I think he would be happy with either truck.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:18 PM
-Brian

Hey rodney, if you kept the Savage, you wouldn't have had this problem
Old 05-11-2007, 08:57 PM
KillerJato

probably a defect somewhere happens all the time on every brand, if u don't know how to work on it then they will have to keep it to fix it or tell them you want another now.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:45 AM
alvinm

ORIGINAL: ARevoPro

ORIGINAL: alvinm

The savage is only 9mm longer but 10mm shorter(height) than the Revo. I'd say that isn't even a noticable difference. Especially not enough to try to defend the savage for being larger. Next time you may do the research before you post. I think the savage is a great truck too but I think he would be happy with either truck.
I don't need to research, all you have to do is look at them. That height you have on the revo is overall with the body, the savage is without the body. One other thing you fail to mention is that the revo's tires are not as proprtional with the truck as opposed to the savage. All you are doing is adding width to the truck with the tires and long a-arms. Remember, these are scaled trucks, an inch here or there makes a big difference.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:06 PM
123michael

get a sumacher menace as they are the fastest 1/10 you can buy.they are right hight so you can put 2.2 weels on and get road tyres and dirt tires.they are the best 1/10 berleave me they are
Old 05-13-2007, 01:46 AM
ttoks

your breaks are set to tight and the pads are rubing on the disk, thats why you can't hear it when you have the throttle on, loosen the break off.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:22 AM
alvinm

My Spyder sounded that way, hobbie shop said it was normal. Not sure if the warhead is similar.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:58 AM
71goat

Hey rodneykwalker,
If you go into the Forum section on "anyone own a warhead " you will find hundreds of pages on the warhead, thats were i'm finding out alot. ashburg.com ,msinno, Mekong, JFacky Any question you could ever think of these guys are the best I've found.
I have a monster GT,warhead evo, RC10GT,nitro tc3 I bought them all used slightly I've been able to beat the crap out of the GT, the warhead is still not on the road, right know i'm in the process of sealing the motor, waiting for an HPI carb, My temps keep hitting 300, they all say it's cuz of airleaks, I've had nothing but problems with this truck,but it seems this is built to bash, (this is going to be sons truck) All aluminum suspension etc...
Old 05-13-2007, 10:34 PM
ob1n
My Feedback: (14)

Mister KWalker.....well, it's already too late ......but, next time go to the "Reviews" section of RCU website. You'll find in-depth and critical reviews with photos and video!!!!! If you would have done that.....I PROMISE you would have kept the Savage. The Warhead does, however, get a decent review...but, you watch the vids of the two.....you'll notice the Savage taken a serious butt whippin!!!!!!!!.....and then it keeps coming for MORE!!!(It's not too late to watch the video!!!!...Go on....take a look!)

If you are really very unhappy with your decision.....I suggest this.....and I speak from experience! I've notice that used vehicles on Ebay and RCU marketplace(particularly Nitro) hold their value very well. Therefore, STOP driving it......clean it up....take pics.....fix the problem if there is one.....and sell it! Of course, be honest with the buyers as to why your selling.....I've found many Nitro trucks that have minor problems sell for next-to-new price! I know it sounds doubtful.....but I've seen it......not saying you won't be an exception....but I HAVE witnessed it.....I was trying to buy them! Anyway....then take the money and buy the Savage X! I recommend this model as you stated you are NOT looking for speed and want reliability/durability. The SS is cool.....but why?......it has pin spike tires that will wear out in 3 days!!!

In the 6 months I've owned my Savage......I only broke my front plastic A Arm.....why?! Cause the battery from the reciever pack "disconnected"(from rough off-roading) and it went FULL speed into a tree!!!!! I expected something to break at that speed! My front drive shaft was lost as well. Guess what?......I bought a FULL set of factory upper/lower front AND rear A arms off of Ebay for $.99!!!!!!!!! Then paid $4.00 freight! I bought 4 driveshafts off of Ebay for $5.00 plus $4.00 freight from another seller! I have found there are always guys who buy Savages and upgrade them IMMEDIATELY so they sell the new, factory parts......CHEAP! Since then, I've upgraded to a 6volt pack(more power and they won't come loose like the factory AA battery setup) and I've been thrilled that I am still running.

Yes, I've had my engine stall on me a lot in the beginning......but that problem is gone now that it is finally broken in.

As for the Revo.....I cannot say much other than everyone seems to be happy with it. ONLY complaints I've heard is that it, "Doesn't look like a BIG, BAD Monster Truck!". Well.....yeah......I guess I'd classify it as a truggy. But, I've seen many(online videos) of people bashing them, too! If you are like me.....like the "Truck Look"......then.....again, SAVAGE X!!!!!

Hope this helps though it comes a little late.....Good luck!

Ob1n
Old 05-14-2007, 08:30 AM
rodneykwalker

im quite happy with my warhead, its working very fine now, except that my tempatures are pushing over 300 degrees. I ordered a steel spur gear also, so that should be good. How can i keep my tempatures down without having the truck go very slow. I could richen it, but then it would be very slow. Any ideas? I like the fact that i can convert 90 % of the truck in aluminum. It looks good and should make it much stronger, should be fun.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:48 PM
dcross405

Sonuds like you need to run a bit richer or try a colder plug because that is way too hot.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:01 PM
rodneykwalker

Man, now i got more problems,,,,

Ok, my engine is leaking fuel right behind the flywheel. Is the flywheel the round thing that you would sit a starter box on? Lots of fuel, like very fast. Duratrax says i need to send it to them. They said its a bearing. Now, I want to take my .21 engine out of my rd logics sho, but the problem with that engine is the flywheel is stuck, and not spinning. Can someone help me with all these problems? I want to put the buggy engine in my warhead.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:31 PM
savagebasha26

get a savage 25 or savage x or wait to get the x 4.6
Old 05-14-2007, 06:42 PM
alvinm

Man, from bad to worse[:@] I also think you need to cut your losses and sell it, don't cannibalize your buggy to get the truck going. It may not work anyways if the crankshaft lengths are different. And to think you had the savage home with you...[]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.