Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Regarding body kits

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 11:25 AM
Jordandarkmagic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regarding body kits

I know that when it comes to real cars, the body kits actually counts for alot of the car's performance. But what about in models? Cuz I was thinking of slapping a TT-01 Ferrari Enzo bodykit onto a BMW 320si TT-01. Would that affect the car in anyway?
Old 05-23-2007, 12:01 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Regarding body kits

Aerodynamics in model cars are affected dramatically by which body is used. The real effect starts to be noticable after 30ish mph, and at 60, the difference is truly huge. The aerodynamics do not work in exactly the same way as real cars though, as RC cars have to worry much more about lateral stability (sideways movement). The enzo is a fairly aerodynamic body, and it will definitely change the high speed handling characterstics of your car. Whether or not it's a positive change, you will have to decide after you try it.

The proline racing touring car bodies are specially designed for maximum stability, and the two most popular ones are the Dodge Stratus 3.0 (pictured below on my Xray NT1) and the Mazda 6. these bodies are almost exclusively used in racing and you don't see many others in the top level races.

By the way, apart from front and rear spoilers, bodykits on real cars don't do anything except add bling. A lot of people add them for the large holes they have (for airflow), so that they can place large intercoolers into the bumpers, but these are the only practical reasons to have them.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98332.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	467.8 KB
ID:	690066  
Old 05-23-2007, 02:59 PM
Nick2618

While we are talking about areodynamics how much do you lose by putting holes in the windsheild for air flow. I imagine that as to kill the flow.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:15 PM
infernox

really his only counts if you are a racer and want to shave i m.s off your time. with parking lot racers etc. this wont matter.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:28 PM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: nick2618

While we are talking about areodynamics how much do you lose by putting holes in the windsheild for air flow. I imagine that as to kill the flow.
It's all a compromise. Holes are needed, so we just deal with whatever it does to the actual flow.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:41 PM
sfar785

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

speaking of added "bling"...i love when kids put huge carbon-fiber/aluminum wings on their front wheel drive cars....but i have body kits on 2 of the 3 real cars i own, i have one on my MustangGT and my SRT-4, all they are there for is the looks, but when you're doing 160 mph down the highway in either one of my cars, the body kits actually help because it reduces the airflow under the car...so body kits actually do help (when going fast)
Old 05-26-2007, 10:35 AM
Jordandarkmagic

I don't think drilling holes in the windshield actually helps cua wouldn't that just turn the bodykit into a giant parachute?
Old 05-26-2007, 12:19 PM
drevil
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Jordandarkmagic

I don't think drilling holes in the windshield actually helps cua wouldn't that just turn the bodykit into a giant parachute?
I believe you're right. The only way it could improve aerodynamics is if you cut the entire windshield and back window out and put a flat piece of lexan in between the two.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:40 AM
Jordandarkmagic

I would just stick with the body kit itself XD cuz the the engine/motor and other parts aren't streamline. So just let it be
Old 05-27-2007, 01:00 PM
Foxy

It's not for aerodynamics that we cut holes in the windshield ya know. It's absolutely necessary for proper cooling of a nitro engine. Don't even think about running a nitro car without these holes front and rear, your engine will over heat.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:24 AM
Jordandarkmagic

Then in that case just try and do a roof scoop.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:00 AM
Foxy

A roof scoop sufficiently large to allow the correct amount of air flow would have the same effect, only without a corresponding exit for the air. That's why we cut an equal sized hole in the rear windshield, and the engine deisgners design the heads for minimum wind resistance. In fact the air going through the hole, around the engine and out the back, increases wing efficiency. If there was a better way, we'd be doing it.