Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Friends vs. RC Cars

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 10:57 PM
Lumpmister

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Friends vs. RC Cars

OK. I am not sure if any other people are having this same problem. I love RC, but all of my friends consider it a huge nerd thing. Everytime people come over I feel like I have to put my cars away. What do all of you think about this???
Old 05-25-2007, 11:55 PM
rc_racer69

Default RE: Friends vs. RC Cars

ya same here
i have a couple of friends when i told em they called me a loser until i ran it and they were like[X(]
Old 05-26-2007, 12:34 AM
RS4rallydriver

Well, I'm sure that they all have hobbies too right? just remind them that this is yours just like they have theirs.

I know people who fish for crabs as a hobby[sm=drowning.gif], and I think that it's less than cool, but I'm sure they get a kick out of it!
Old 05-26-2007, 05:45 AM
Brutus
My Feedback: (3)

Hey, its cheaper than golf, and a whole lot more fun!
Old 05-26-2007, 08:02 AM
DaveG55

The real problem is not with your friends, well not completely. If they're true friends they can for sure have an opinion but should still support you. But also, you need to be less sensitive to what they think. If you want to keep your stuff out when they come over, why should you not???? I know that it's impossable to completely not care what others think but you cannot let what they think dictate what you do. It's just not healthy.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:31 AM
sfar785

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All my friends think Nitro RC cars are cool...they all want them but can't afford them...i don't think your friends think it's a "nerd" thing, i think they're jealous because they don't have one. But where i'm from, we all have nice things and have fun hobbies...i have about $2000 in nitro cars and i never hear the end of it from my dad...my dad lives 1500 miles away from me, yet he still complains and says i should spend my money on better things...i don't need better things, i have my own apartment, 2 cars, 2 streetbikes, all my bills are paid by the end of the month and i have everything i need...i even have enough money to play paintball every weekend (another nerdy hobby that i blow thousands of dollars on). But just realize that people who make fun of you for things like this, aren't really your friends...
Old 05-26-2007, 08:52 AM
SFC K

Well said guys! ^^^^ I would just stop doing things with them. They will wish they would not have said that and want to be your friend. Everyone has hobbies of some sort and shouldn’t be affected by what other people think. It’s our hobby and we should enjoy it to the fullness of our abilities regardless of what other people say. I say ditch them and go RCing!
Old 05-26-2007, 11:31 AM
ross_jsy

well, most of my freinds dont say anything, few of them have seen them running and said they were cool, that it. i have one freind who used to get quite abusive about it, then he saw one running and bought one (used it once mind you)
Old 05-26-2007, 01:42 PM
Takedown
My Feedback: (23)

I dont really have a problem with my friends making fun of my hobby. There cool about it.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:47 PM
rc_racer69

most of my friends when i tell em they are mean til they see em running down the street at 40+ and going off ramps doin backflips
lol
i think i already posted here
lol my bad
Old 05-26-2007, 02:24 PM
MonkeyFist

Every one of my friends that I have shown RCs too wants one. I've gotten at least 2 of my friends into RCs. I'm selling onf of my extra cars and support equipment to one of my friends so he can run against me for fun.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:54 PM
Kokopelli06

All of my friends dont really care. I still get the feeling of hiding my Mini LST when they are at my house, but i proudly display my Savage X SS
Old 05-26-2007, 03:27 PM
SpikeX

I have the same problem. Many people think that I'm stupid because I spend so much on "toy" cars. That's until they see them in action! I also proudly display both my Savages.

That is one of the reasons why I made PXP Racing with a bunch of friends, whom I persuaded to get R/C trucks. We kind of stick together and defend each other, and it's also much more fun driving together.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:43 PM
carmatic1

ORIGINAL: Kokopelli06

All of my friends dont really care. I still get the feeling of hiding my Mini LST when they are at my house, but i proudly display my Savage X SS
gawd dang! and i only have a mini lst... i guess i should hurry up with its crawler conversion so that i at least end up with a bigger car huh?
if your going to be showing off, by all means dont go down the path of the shelf queen, it makes your truck look like a store display and drives the 'nerd' image further...
Old 05-26-2007, 03:46 PM
rc_racer69

ORIGINAL: SpikeX

I have the same problem. Many people think that I'm stupid because I spend so much on "toy" cars. That's until they see them in action! I also proudly display both my Savages.

thats what my parents think
lol
btw this was your 1000th post
[X(]
Old 05-26-2007, 03:49 PM
carmatic1

wow i wish i had such a meaningful 1000th post!
Old 05-27-2007, 06:01 AM
ross_jsy

well, i have £2000 in one of my cars, i have several cars worth over £1000 (these arent shelf queens btw) and when my freinds here the price tag they then think its stupid.....oh well lol my money, my hobby, my love
Old 05-27-2007, 08:02 AM
carmatic1

personally , my friends dont appreciate the awesomeness of how much i spent on RC, so instead i try to wow them with how much i can do with how little money... hence, the crawler conversion... its a cheap job and its not gonna win any competitions but it sure looks marvelously complex for something i 'built myself'
Old 05-27-2007, 09:37 AM
magnus213

If I try to tell people about it or explain it, I'll most likely get laughed at (primarily by the females). It doesn't really bother me, and they are actually very impressed when they see it run. I ran it around the school parking lot this past Friday as everyone was getting out and I got a huge crowd!
Old 05-27-2007, 01:33 PM
carmatic1

i painted a new body one day....a bunch of girls i know saw it

they: wow you have a new car??
me: no, its just a new body...
they: will it make it go faster?
me: it will make it look like its going faster!
Old 05-27-2007, 05:57 PM
dustypat99

yuup that was me back in the day till i started hanging out with john aka redline_racer, but now lets just say i bought a brushless system for my stampede today so yeah you say its dumb till you see them run or drive one
Old 05-27-2007, 06:15 PM
Redlined_Racer_26
My Feedback: (2)

I have always been interested in these things, but untill I finally got a Tmaxx 2 years ago I didnt think they were as fun as they really are. I "had" a couple friends that thought it was stupid untill I let one of them drive my XL-5 Stampede and now has one of his own (dustypat99). People have all different kinds of hobbies, this one works for me just like golf works for some other people.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:54 AM
hkenvy91

i must say i recently got into rc cars about 2 months ago. after looking at ALOT of you tube videos and watching a friend from works little brother running a ofna lx-comp(i shouldnt say little brother as he is 36!lol)

me and a few friends used to play competitive paintball, and now that i have little ones runnin around. i quit paintball and needed something to keep me sane. im a tinkerer and rc's seemed right up my alley! so when one of my buddies were over and saw the you-tube videos he was like THATS g*y! i was like yeah right! anyhow i did some research and bought a new hyper8, well now ive got about 1000 bucks tied up in it. and now he wants to check it out now. so i invited him to a local race this comin weekend. actually i hope he doesnt get into it cause he's the type of guy that could f***up a ham sandwich so i would have to keep his runnin for him lol
Old 05-28-2007, 05:45 PM
drevil
My Feedback: (5)

Listen, if you have to put away your r/c cars when your friends come over because you're afraid they'll make fun of you then you really need to start looking for new friends. It's completely fine if your friends aren't into them, but there's no reason why you should have to hide anything.

Your friends sound like idiots who obviously aren't secure with themselves. Next time one of them says something stupid about your cars turn it back on them and say something like "Whats the matter, aren't you man enough to do the things you like? You wussy" That's what I usually do, and by the time I get done razzing them they feel like such girls that they don't say anything about it again....LOL

If that doesn't work then find yourself new friends. Life is too short to worry about idiots.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:08 PM
sfar785

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: drevil

Listen, if you have to put away your r/c cars when your friends come over because you're afraid they'll make fun of you then you really need to start looking for new friends. It's completely fine if your friends aren't into them, but there's no reason why you should have to hide anything.

Your friends sound like idiots who obviously aren't secure with themselves. Next time one of them says something stupid about your cars turn it back on them and say something like "Whats the matter, aren't you man enough to do the things you like? You wussy" That's what I usually do, and by the time I get done razzing them they feel like such girls that they don't say anything about it again....LOL

If that doesn't work then find yourself new friends. Life is too short to worry about idiots.
couldn't have said it better myself

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.