Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

!*FUEL*!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 10:20 PM
andrew_henry_rc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !*FUEL*!

ok well i am thinking about geting a sportwerks choas buggy wene i purchase my lighting stadium 10.thanks to:''''hevyhitter''' for showing me ultimatehobbies site bcz they have low prices so i am going to get a sportwerks chaos with my lighting stadium 10 purchase and i have some extra oddenel 30% fuel laying around. it is about idk i would say half a month old or a month. i was wondering if it is still anygood and how long fuel actually lasts after u open the cap. the cap it crewed on tight so my kids wont get into is so i was jw wondering and need to know .
thanks.andrew
Old 07-17-2007, 12:25 AM
Codeblack

Default RE: !*FUEL*!

well, I'd say its no prob. Was it sitting in temps of -3C to 20C? Not a sunny spot? If wasnt then it should be fine. If you race i would say.... naaa, for max performance dump it. but if you bash then I dont see how any chemical can turn into something that can damage your engine.
Cheers
Old 07-17-2007, 01:24 AM
hevyhitter

nice sportwerks buggy. idk about the fuel, i would use it on a old motor not something new. especially a 30%+ mix wouldnt be good for break in.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:41 AM
andrew_henry_rc

true!
Old 07-17-2007, 07:40 AM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: Codeblack

well, I'd say its no prob. Was it sitting in temps of -3C to 20C? Not a sunny spot? If wasnt then it should be fine. If you race i would say.... naaa, for max performance dump it. but if you bash then I dont see how any chemical can turn into something that can damage your engine.
Cheers
As long as it was tightly capped it is perfectly fine to use for whatever you want to use it for. If you stored it with most/all of the air in the container purged out then so much the better. If not it will still be fine.
Most people believe that fuel should be stored in a cool, dark place but that is nowhere near as critical sealing it against moisture.

As for a chemical turning into something that will damage the engine, well nitro fuel can sort-of do that. The methanol in our fuel is hygroscopic, it attracts and absorbs water, and it does it pretty quickly too. If you run fuel that has absorbed moisture then you will lose a bit of performance and any residue left in the engine can cause rust to form. That's why ARO is important.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:16 AM
bigbadbowtie

In addition to what Dave said, what I do with a new gallon of fuel is disperse it in to 4-1 quart fuel containers and cap them quickly. That way your only lugging around a quart or 2 at a time, your only exposing a portion of your fuel to the air on fill ups, if you spill it... its only a portion of your gallon.