Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Fuel & Electrics in a pit box?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 10:53 AM
AlBunch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel & Electrics in a pit box?

I'm thinking of building a pit box out of a craftsman sst w/ caddy..

I want to build a plywood partition to hold a 1 gallon fuel jug in the back corner and silicone it in just in case there's a small fuel leak....I'd like to put an electrical fuel pump mounted into the face of the box itself so I can re-fuel from the outside w/o opening the whole toolbox..

In addition to all this I want to put two 12v 7ah gel cell batteries elsewhere in the toolbox in their own plywood container and mount a power panel next to the fuel pump - again - external access...

There's this light blinking in the corner of my eye telling me fuel and electrics don't mix..so I wanted your opinions - has anyone else done something like this? Is there anything that can be done to limit risk? There's no obvious way around this unless you want to consider a move to electrics - fuel will always be part of the equation....but what does everyone else do to get fuel, xmitter, parts, tools, chargers, trucks/cars, and all the other associated junk out to the pit?

Old 08-29-2007, 11:14 AM
fat1

Default RE: Fuel & Electrics in a pit box?

why bother?
Old 08-29-2007, 05:33 PM
DaveG55

I've done it with a Plano tackle box. 1 quart of fuel, 1 battery, but the same basic set up. Electric fuel pump, power panel, etc. Had it that way for 2 years now and no issues. I've even got a field charger bolted to the side that will charge ni-cad, nimh, lead acid and lipo batteries. As long as you're not getting an open flame or tremendous sparks you won't have any trouble.
Heck, if you're that woried about it think/look at the fuel gauges on most modern automobiles. Many of those pick up's use 12v and the sensor is just an open copper circut board submerged in the gassoline.

Why bother?
Because it's very convient. I've got everything I need in one easy to carry/transport container. It's also nice because I do both electric and nitro and planes, boats and helis too. I've got everything I need in one box for any toy I take out. That's why I did it.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74147.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	752664   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43116.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	752665   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52313.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	752666  
Old 08-29-2007, 06:32 PM
dapro

before you get that box, or modify, check out this box I got from Lowes, even with the tray inside, you could put 4 gallons of fuel standing up, and still have a bunch of room for stuff in the middle, I put my parts organizers, extra tires, battery charger, and radio down there, and still have a little room, of course I don't haul 4 gallons with me....the bar on the side retracts, and its just a great box...$49.00

[link=http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=101939-82673-29005&lpage=none]24 Gallon Job Chest[/link]

I have the same craftsman box, but it didn't hold the fuel so I purchased the other

I purchase this storage box from hobby lobby for like $7, perfect for power supply and charger
Old 08-30-2007, 12:58 PM
AlBunch

Those are the answers I was looking for - haven't bought the box yet - just saw one of the physical plant guys toting one around and thought it looked pretty close to what I wanted. I do cars, boats and planes so I have need of something bigger than just a car only box - dapro, that box you show is perfect. I'll head to Lowes next week and pick it up.

Dave - I was pretty close to being dead set on doing what I wanted anyway just wanted to troll to make sure nobody else had had a bad experience with that combination yet - thanks much for the vote of confidence!

I'll try to remember to post pics of it when I get done.