Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

ASICs for Cars, Airplanes, Helis etc

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ASICs for Cars, Airplanes, Helis etc

Hello Guys

I was wondering how many of you would be interested in custom designed digital circuits for you model cars, airplanes, helis etc? An ASIC (Application Specific Integrated Circuit) is a custom digital circuit that can easily be adapted and implemented in most of the RC vehicles that you guys use all the time, the application range can vary greatly, from very simple to very complex. I have implemented several asics on the RC cars that I have and have been doing so for sometime now and I was just wondering if you any of you had any interest in doing something similar. The basic functions that i have listed are shown below, let me know if you guys have any interest.

1. Collision avoidance circuit.
-- A circuit designed to prevent the RCV ( Radio Controlled Vehicle ) from crashing into obstacles, during manual control.

2. Run Repeat
-- A circuit designed to remember the last run and repeat it when asked.

3. Roll avoidance circuit.
* High speed cars and trucks.
-- A circuit designed to keep the RCV from rolling during a high speed turn.

I have more, but I wait to see the response to this post.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:45 PM

Default RE: ASICs for Cars, Airplanes, Helis etc

well man in racing theres always a bit of rubbing and if u have it so that if an object is near you and it turns away that'd be really bad because in racing there are cars always around you.

why would you want a repeat feature? there are millions of variables that would change the course of the car and its even worse for a plane because the wind is never exactly the same.

rolling during a high speed turn? get a touring car and you wont have that problem........
Old 10-01-2007, 11:57 PM

Id only be interested in IC that make my cars more scale. Like brake lights and blinkers.

sounds like you have some talent dude.
You need to put your efforts towards the DARPA Grand Challenge: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DARPA_Grand_Challenge
Old 10-02-2007, 07:33 AM

it all sounds very interesting but i have zero intrest in putting it in an rc of any sort. actually sounds like it would take lots of the fun out of running them
Old 10-02-2007, 09:05 AM

It's the same thing as having traction control, sensors on bumpers to help you avoid hitting other car during parking, automatic 3 point parking and whatnot that 1:1 scale cars come with nowadays. Does it take the fun out of driving those vehicles? No right.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:07 AM

Hi Guys

I'm not attacking what you do or how you do it, I do some of the samethings myself, so don't take my post the wrong way. I enjoy RCs and I also enjoy digital and analog circuit design and sense all RCs are based on electrical circuits I just thought it would be a cool idea to use what I know to add custom performance mods, to my RCs.

MadDogRC : As far as the practicality of my circuits

1. You don't have to use the collision avoidance circuit during racing, in fact why would you, and the circuit doesn't turn the wheels of the car to avoid a collision. I designed this circuit for my nephew ( who is a beginner) after I bought him an RC 0ff Road Truck that cost me several hundred dollars, and it has saved his truck on many occasions. In addition I put it in several planes and it has saved them all from crashing into trees, the ground and other planes on many occasions. Lets face facts some of these RCs can be pretty expensive, the plane I am thinking of cost several thousand dollars, replacing them isn't something the average working person can do right away, adding a circuit that gives the beginner some added protection against totally destroying his RC before he or she has began having a little fun is practical to me.

2. The repeat feature is a cool feature if you are doing tricks with your RC and want to try to repeat a particular trick as close to exact as you can again and again. There are some uncontrollable varables for sure and they keep the repeat run from being 100% exact but then again what is in this world.

3 Me and my buddies roll touring cars all the time, and so does my nephews, and they’re friends.

Custom circuits is just a way of tricking out your ride or plane and its pretty cool to me, I’ll post a short vid of my car with the repeat function so you can see how it works.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:18 AM

I actually think adding the custom circuits to my RCs has added to the fun I have with them, they don't keep them perfectly safe, thats for sure, but they can and do add protection. My point for doing it was to try and get more of my younger generation interested in Model RCs and circuit design and I think this is a cool way of doing both.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:04 PM

Check out this link if you want to see a clip of the repeat circuit in action.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6442115/tm.htm