Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Does shock oil have a shelf life?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 07:57 PM
underdog4life

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does shock oil have a shelf life?

Hey all -

I'm rebuilding the shocks on my Aftershock (I lost a showdown with a "No Parking" sign [:@]), so I broke out several bottles of old, unsealed Losi Pure Synth shock oil. I've had the oil for over 6 yrs or so, and I bought it from a guy on ebay, so I'm not 100% on the age. The oil has a really pungent odor, much like really strong glue. It doesn't appear to be separated (I don't know that it can separate, but the observation may be helpful), and the viscosities seem to jibe with the labels. The oil that I dumped from my truck's shocks doesn't smell as strong. Neither does the Associated silicone shock oil that I have, though I don't know how old that oil is either.

So my questions are these: Can I use this oil? Does the smell indicate anything (imminent breakdown???)? Does silicone shock oil have a shelf life?

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:49 PM
associatedrules

Default RE: Does shock oil have a shelf life?

I don't think that it has a shelf life. Is there any signs of water in the oil?
Old 01-08-2008, 07:30 AM
Kitsune
My Feedback: (7)

I don't think so either. I've had bottles of shock oil that have sat on the shelf for 7 or 8 years without anything happening to them.
I really don't know what could cause that odor you're talking about. Maybe something else got into the oil. [sm=confused.gif]
Old 01-08-2008, 06:57 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sure it does, but it's silicone, so it is inert, it will be a long time. 15 years plus, I would guess.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:08 PM
underdog4life

Thanks for the responses, guys. Associatedrules, it doesn't appear that any water, or anything else, got into the oil. I think I'll use it and see what happens. It beats spending cash on new oil!